• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's you're gait?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw lot's of stuff in this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246466
Got me to ask, What's your gait?
The most common is where the middle of the sole, under the ball of your foot softens first.
I've also seen toes wear first. Lateral, either inside or outside borders, across the ball can wear quickly as well. In those cases, stitches will appear to be worn. As alluded to, they are lock stitches, meaning, they are independent of each other. They won't unravel. Others rip through heels before soles so any wear.

How about you?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ball of the foot is always the first to go.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can do a real number of the toes of my dress shoes. I have no idea what this says about my gait, but I'd be curious to know. And I'd be curious to know whether or not the problem is corrigible.

I read once that a worn-down front toe area is a sign of an improper fit. But I experience this issue with all of my dress shoes, regardless of tightness or looseness of fit. I'll admit that I own a few pairs of shoes that are objectively too long for my feat (my first few experiments in buying English benchmades online). But most of my shoes are well fitted.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always the heel, on the inner edge of the shoe.

Interestingly I wear the toe the most the first couple wears, before it breaks in.

Ivar

Reaction score
Heels first. On the outer edge of the shoe. My gait sucks.
confused.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
outside corner back of the heel.

my gate? more like the old coots shuffle.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toes, outside of the forefoot, ball of the foot, outside of the heel. Interestingly this has changed since I started running in lighter running shoes. Previously I was very heavy on heels; now I'm more likely to get them done when I'm having soles replaced.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toes, then heels. I am better about the toes since I first noticed accelerated wear but they still seem to disappear the fastest. If someone invented toe taps I would get on board.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
If someone invented toe taps I would get on board.

plain.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Toes, then heels. I am better about the toes since I first noticed accelerated wear but they still seem to disappear the fastest. If someone invented toe taps I would get on board.

Search for "sunken toe plates". At any point in the last three years
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads