• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your work commute like?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping an older thread...

Right now I'm commuting around 35 minutes each way to work. The traffic's not horrible at all. I started looking for a new place closer to work but they tend to suck. I don't mind driving for 35 mins each way but the thought of having to do this for an extended period of time is not pleasant. Last summer I commuted 1 hr 15 mins each way and it sucked.

Please advise.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 minute drive to train station.
1 hour train ride.
10 minute subway ride.
30 second walk to work.

this is only temporary as i'm currently living with my parents as i look for a permanent place.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forget if I've posted here already but since I've moved womehwat recently I'll post my new routine.

1. 10 minute walk to metro/subway station
2. 15 minute ride downtown
3. 10 minute walk to office/desk

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My commute is now a one mile drive. :bounce2: I could walk, but parking is so bad that I need to put my car in the parking garage near the office. Can't leave it in the metered parking during the day.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 min drive. due to my hours i avoid rush hour both ways.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 minutes if you drive, 17 if you cycle, 40 if you walk...

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
For me it's only a 1.8 mile commute, but still takes me about 25-30 minutes via bus. Will walk on nice days.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Hour and 45 each way. I carpool from WInston Salem to Durham. Almost 6 months.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75 minutes when traffic is low, when there's a lot of traffic, prolly about 90 minutes. Needless to say, im striving to work more from home. Luckily my boss thinks this is a good idea too.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5 minute drive (about to change into a 10 minute bike ride.)
1 hour train
20 minute subway.

It kind of sucks, but I get some extra sleep in the morning on the train and get to read some news on the Subway. On my way back home, I get to read a book or take another nap. It's annoying that I'm not able to do more productive things with this time, but it could definitely be worse. The expense is a bit of a killer, though. $3288 yearly for the train, which $2760 is tax deductible. Unfortunately, I guess that's just life in Long Island.
Well, no more subway. Now it's a 15 minute walk, so it's pretty much the same hours. Oh, and my monthly got bumped up to $300 per month, still only $230 per month is tax deductible. :( Still beats driving. :)

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a good day, then it's a commute from my bed to the desk in my spare room or, even better, my couch and my laptop.

Not a lot of those days recently unfortunately.

BP348

Reaction score
1:15 minutes. Should only be about 50-60 minutes but I have to go through 2 small towns and that slows me down quite a bit.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
10 minutes if I'm unlucky with lights. 6-7 if I'm lucky.

Looking to purchase a decent bicycle at some point so I can cut out the need for a car during the nicer months.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My office is less than a block away and it takes 175 steps from the back door of my house to the front door of the office. So about 90 seconds.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 mi. commute.

20 min mornings
15 min afternoons

it's not bad... i live pretty far away from friends in the metroplex, but i don't really do much on the weekdays anyway so i don't really have a huge downside.

i was skimming through a few of those... how the hell do you guys do 1+ hour commutes? i would hate to do anything more than 30...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads