What's your work commute like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Davidko19, May 17, 2010.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Have all you guys beat both ways:

To work: Between 01m:50s and 02m:20s depending on what I'm driving.

To Class: 01h:12m by car, 00:47m by train, 00:012m on foot. Have done this for a year now, have three more to go. Definitely couldn't do it forever.

~H

youre classes must rumble violently every time a train passes by!!

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

To Class: 01h:12m by car, 00:47m by train, 00:012m on foot.

This is each way? How many days a week/month do you do this. Sounds like hell to me.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

youre classes must rumble violently every time a train passes by!!
    Oh, the extra zero? I've been typing so fast lately I can't keep up
    This is each way? How many days a week/month do you do this. Sounds like hell to me.
    Yep. Each way, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, and for as many weeks as there are in a month. The commute follows what is basically an eight-hour day as a mechanical engineer -- my days are 15-17hrs door to door. I'll finish my first academic year on Thursday, and will start again in early August. I decided, not surprisingly, to take the summer (all two months of it) off. It probably is hell, and I've had numerous people tell me flat out that I won't make it, but I am very grateful for the opportunity to be doing what I'm doing, as well as very assured as to why I am doing this. I am also fairly determined, generally. ~ H

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

about 2 days a month, one hour each way by car.

10 days a month, on the road

8 days a month, walk 2 minutes to coffee shop, work from there

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Twenty minute drive through light traffic.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Yea but I know no one in OC. Im sure I can just hit the gym after work or something. Im an LA guy (well, long beach right now)

whereabouts in long beach? that's where i live, too.
    my commute is almost exactly an hour each way, but it's on the blue line to downtown. light rail is amazing ... read the paper on the way to work in the morning, read a book on the way home at night. if i drove, i could make it in as little as 25 minutes, traffic willing, but so often it isn't and then it can take as much as 90 minutes.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

oc, long beach ,torrance , newport beach? looks like we can have our own sf meet one day[​IMG]

8. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

whereabouts in long beach? that's where i live, too.
    my commute is almost exactly an hour each way, but it's on the blue line to downtown. light rail is amazing ... read the paper on the way to work in the morning, read a book on the way home at night. if i drove, i could make it in as little as 25 minutes, traffic willing, but so often it isn't and then it can take as much as 90 minutes.

I live right by the transit mall. I actually had to take the train last Monday, I couldn't get to my car because of a murder in my apt. complex....maybe you heard about it! Haha...

It was quite pleasant actually. Ive done it a few times. I had to transfer to the green line to get to work but it dropped me off only 2 blocks away by LAX. Door to door, it was only about 20-30 minutes more than driving. The worst part is the loop in downtown. It takes forever to get past the lights. Other than that you're smooth sailing.

9. Incman

Incman Senior member

School: ~ 10 minute walk
    Job 1: ~ 5 minute bike ride
    Job 2: ~50 minute bus ride

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

oc, long beach ,torrance , newport beach? looks like we can have our own sf meet one day[​IMG]

we'll meet in the middle: knott's berry farm!

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I worked from home more than 90% of the time for the last five years, but I just started a new job that requires a 40 minute drive each way. Not too bad, all things considered, but a total shock to the system after stumbling out of bed in my skivvies and down the hall to my office.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Morning, walk 5 minutes or so to bus stop. take bus for between 25-50 minutes (wtf lakeshore drive). Walk half a block to office.

Evening, walk 5 minutes, take the El for 15-20 and walk 5-10 home.

I'd take the train in the morning but there is zero space by the time it gets to my stop (might have to wait for the next train) while I can catch an express bus (often with seats) a stop before it gets on LSD. On the way home, the train wins hands down as there are always empty seats at Jackson while taking a bus up Michigan at 5:00 is hell.

about 30 min total if I bike [​IMG]

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I worked from home more than 90% of the time for the last five years, but I just started a new job that requires a 40 minute drive each way. Not too bad, all things considered, but a total shock to the system after stumbling out of bed in my skivvies and down the hall to my office.
    yup. i did that for about 3-4 years. sweet. people would ask how far my commute was and i'd tell them "about 25 feet". lunch was a big deal because i'd change out of sweats and take a shower.

14. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

10 minutes by car on local roads, 25 minutes if I ride my bike (National Bike to Work Week just started today folks).

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

yup. i did that for about 3-4 years. sweet. people would ask how far my commute was and i'd tell them "about 25 feet". lunch was a big deal because i'd change out of sweats and take a shower.
    A lunchtime shower is a great thing -- I often do this because I live so close, and because I rarely have other time available during the week, and hygiene ought not be neglected. ~ H