What's your work commute like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Davidko19, May 17, 2010.

1. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Who has it bad and is it worth it?

My current commute is about 45 minutes for 20 miles in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Im right next to LAX and thus pretty central to anything that is happening if I go out afterwork or something. Plus, its definetly a place I could move to as its a young crowd and a lot of my friends live around there.

Reason I ask is I'm going on Wednesday for a job interview that will put me in Anaheim (Near Disneyland, [​IMG] ) Unless they offered me a telecommute option or a large raise, the hour plus commute would be the primary reason I'd decline the offer (if made). Its near nothing Im interested in and basically sucks as an area. Does that sound like a dumb reason to decline, if all else is equal?

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

1 hr and 15 minutes using the subway and bus.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3 min walk + 10 mn subway + 5 min walk

4. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

1 hr on subway plus Metro North Train. Its not bad, but I would really prefer my client to be in Manhattan. Would save a solid 2 hours.

5. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

School: 1 hour combined walking and train
    Work 5-20min by train depending on where I am working.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

20 minutes to airport
    1.5 hours in air
    20 minutes to office

Repeat 2x a week.

7. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

8. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Who has it bad and is it worth it?

My current commute is about 45 minutes for 20 miles in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Im right next to LAX and thus pretty central to anything that is happening if I go out afterwork or something. Plus, its definetly a place I could move to as its a young crowd and a lot of my friends live around there.

Reason I ask is I'm going on Wednesday for a job interview that will put me in Anaheim (Near Disneyland, [​IMG] ) Unless they offered me a telecommute option or a large raise, the hour plus commute would be the primary reason I'd decline the offer (if made). Its near nothing Im interested in and basically sucks as an area. Does that sound like a dumb reason to decline, if all else is equal?

About 8 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home.

Also, it is about 5 minutes from Disneyland. I can think of many places that are worse to work than Anaheim. After work, you can always catch a Ducks game, Angels game, go to the Gardenwalk, etc.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

10 minute drive on side streets.

OP. I am familiar with your proposed commute. I HATE commuting. Your quality of life will suck. Two hours + wasted daylight on the freeway with other disgruntled drivers is no way to live. Would only do it if it were an opportunity of a lifetime that would open more doors down the road. Doesn't seem like this job propsect would qualify. Would not do.

Also, it is about 5 minutes from Disneyland. I can think of many places that are worse to work than Anaheim. After work, you can always catch a Ducks game, Angels game, go to the Gardenwalk, etc.

Sure, these are things he can do once in a while, but most days after work you just want to go home. Sure things can be worse, but doesn't mean what's on the table is good.

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

If all else is equal, no it's not a dumb reason at all. My commute is about 10-15 minutes, so I can't complain, but MrsG commutes ~1:10, and she hates it. At first she didn't mind the drive. It's a fair amount of open road, and she found it relaxing, but after 3+ years it's wearing on her. She's kind of trapped in the job right now, but I can tell you for certain she'll be jumping ship when/if the opporunity arises.

I should note that there is a tradeoff. She would be willing to take somewhat of a pay cut if it meant a shorter commute, but she wouldn't just take any job in hopes of cutting her commute.

I would also consider the fact that all things might not be equal. A longer commute costs more, both in fuel and wear-and-tear. If you're making the same amount of money but spending more to get to work, you're taking a net loss.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

About 8 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home.

tustin to anaheim is 8 minutes for you? or am i reading it wrong.

traffic on the 55 and/or 5 is terrible especially in the afternoon.s

for me , it was not that bad last year: about 35-45 minutes both ways from costa mesa to torrance and back.

but for some reason, traffic has gotten really bad this year.

at least 50 minutes and regularly 1 hour and 5-10 minutes each way.

so i ve joined a vanpool last week.

cut my commute time to about 45 minutes both ways, but i save half on gas. also i get some work done in the van.

12. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

10 minute drive to the train station
    55 minutes on LIRR train
    10 minutes on the subway
    30 second walk to my building

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

10 minute walk. Pretty simple.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

;( 1 fucking hour to go to work!!!??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

20 minute drive. It's not bad at all. Sometimes the drive home can be jammed, and that's no fun, but all things considered it could be far, far worse.