• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your weakness?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where on earth did you get brioni, incotex and zegna napoli for under 100? =(

I don't have weaknesses, I'm just weak ;p

Every time I go shopping I end up buying a pair of pants. I love flat front pants, in fine fabrics, that drape well. My other big thing is for cashmere sweaters... well is there anyone in the world that doesn't love cashmere? I'm up to 5 of them now. 2 have 20-30% silk in them but the others are 100% cashmere. I can't wait till summer is over so I can start wearing them again. Oh and shoes too =/

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes, definitely shoes. I'm planning a trip to New York this fall, and 4 of the top 10 items on my itenerary are shoe-related (meet with the GJ Cleverley representative, go to E. Vogel, visit the John Lobb Paris shop, visit the
JM Weston shop).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes, definitely shoes. I'm planning a trip to New York this fall, and 4 of the top 10 items on my itenerary are shoe-related (meet with the GJ Cleverley representative, go to E. Vogel, visit the John Lobb Paris shop, visit the
JM Weston shop).

Sounds like fun.. Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well. I've also been wondering what the selection is like at Domenico Vacca (Stefanobi) and at the Alan Flusser Custom Shop. Do you know if Oliver Moore is still in business? I can't find any trace of them through web searches

As for weaknesses - my #1 weakness is most definitely the DEAL. That is to say any truly quality item that is practically being given away. Shoes are a close second (I'll pay a higher percentage of retail for shoes than I will for anything else.) Following shoes is suits, with shirts/ties close behind.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like fun.. Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well. I've also been wondering what the selection is like at Domenico Vacca (Stefanobi) and at the Alan Flusser Custom Shop. Do you know if Oliver Moore is still in business? I can't find any trace of them through web searches
I'd forgotten all about Lattanzi. I've been wanting to see what an $1800 ready-made calfskin shoe looks like. Don't know anything about Oliver Moore except that picture of the beautiful scotch-grain wingtip bal in Laszlo Vass's book and this listing on Citysearch: http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7152828/

naturlaut

Reaction score
Mr. Harris:
There are about 6 to 7 models of StefanoBi in Vacca, all selling above $1000. They are amazing to look at, especially my favourite model - the wholecut. I particularly like the one with reversed stitching. They are all Italian-tanned leather, brushed-dyed, hand-stitched, with a slightly squared toe box. They are $995 on sale.

Also, if you are interested in seeing some Finamore shirts you will find them at Vacca's; and they take custom orders too, starting at around $400-ish.

Mr. Jcusey:
Actually, the cheapest Lattanzi starts from $2600. I don't think Mr. Lattanzi would do anything for anything less. In any case, Lattanzi could almost hold the world record for displaying the most number of models in one store. All of them are merely samples, --- not ready-to-wear retail pieces. The Milan showroom is even more amazing....

My weakness lies in my senses: I fall prey to anything that looks good (shoes, suits, shirts), feels good (exceptional suiting fabrics, leather, linens), tastes good (being Asian, I'd eat anything as long as it is cooked well), sounds good (needless to say), and smells good (a good perfume - my favourite: Osmanthus). I also have a weakness on electronic gadgets. I literally have a Sony showroom in my house.

Thracozaag: you know my other weaknesses ... Kelly, Bergman, Hepburn ......

JurassicJon

Reaction score
Wow...considering I am a lot younger than most of you (18), my list will look quite different from what most of you have replied:

Sneakers: I don't wear them that often, but for some reason I am attracted to sneakers. Though they don't cost that much (my most expensive is a pair of America's Cup Pradas, which were about $200 more than my next most expensive pair), it's kinda' a waste of money considering I wear sneakers like once a month. I usually wear Birkenstock clogs or my Tod's drivers...so, yeah...I guess I have a sneaker fetish or something...

Jeans: Now this is my true passion. I wear jeans almost every day and I just can't get enough of them. I have jeans by Levi's, Diesel, and Lucky, and own 5-10 pairs from each company. I'm currently looking to expand my collection, hence the "designer demin" post I made a couple of days ago...

Watches: While I don't have a huge collection, I do own a Tag Huer Monaco (a replica of the one Steve McQueen wore in Le Mans) and an Omega Seamaster. Not much but considering I'm only 18...

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well.

A newbie in NYC here.  Can you tell me where these stores are?  The other I know.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything beautiful that has been crafted by hand.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine's cologne... I dont have alot of $ to spend on big super high-quality clothes, but I just love cologne...

That and great deals... I love it when i find a nice peice of clothing for suuuuper cheap, and fits me...

Combine those two, cologne for great deals, gives me an even bigger rush... Recently I got the small-size bottles of NEW YORK by KENNETH COLE and LATITUDE LONGITUDE by NAUTICA (i know its old, but its still great) for $19.99 CAD.

Joe G

Reaction score
Where on earth did you get brioni, incotex and zegna napoli for under 100? =(
In the summer of 02, the Viennese department store E. Braun & Co (across from the Stephansdom anchoring Graben) cleared out all of their merchandise in order to facilitate a complete redesign. The prices were absolutely unbelievable. Think Kiton and Brioni ties all marked between e25 and e35, Brioni jackets for e400 (sadly, none in my size), Ferragamo trainers for e40. Needless to say, nothing good lasted long.

Unfortunately, I went back in September when it was done, and the store's a bit of a hellhole now. Whereas before they had all manner of wonderful stuff, from Kiton, Brioni, and Ferragamo to well-edited selections of Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana, and a staff composed of long-time associates with serious knowledge they've turned into just another me-too Zegna/Armani Collezioni dump with white leather all over the place and a younger, more ignorant staff dressed in cookie-cutter boxy Zegna affairs.

Peace,

JG

thc

Reaction score
Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well.
A newbie in NYC here. Â Can you tell me where these stores are? Â The other I know.
They're both on Madison. Tanino, which makes great leather goods in addition to shoes is around 68th, i think. Lattanzi is around 72nd across the street from Ralph Lauren.

thc

Reaction score
Here are my weaknesses. They're focused around my favorite brands

Helmut Lang,
Calvin Klein Collection
Jil Sander
Valextra
Mandarina Duck
A. Testoni
Goldpfeil
Loewe

General things:

Nice leather accessories for every sort of function you can imagine--e.g., tie cases, pda cases, etc.

Silver

Shirts

High quality cashmere tops

bankerjon

Reaction score
Quality - although a significant weakness for dress shirts, ties, shoes, and fountain pens...

I have tried a number of times to discern the genesis of my tastes to no avail - oh well, why fight it?

For those who are interested...  There was an article written by Owen Edwards in GQ about 7 years ago.  It addressed the "pull" certain objects have on us - he suggested we defined ourselves by these posessions... A good read...

mrprlover

Reaction score
What I would do to have only ONE weakness.
biggrin.gif
I wish... As a 22-year old still in college, my weaknesses are out of control. The Techy/Goofy (I study at Ga Tech) side of me can't do without the latest in gadgets. These include anything from the latest Titanium PowerBook G4 with the matching 15GB iPod, to the newest 5MP Sony digital camera and the portable 10GB drive. I can't help it. On the clothing slash style side...I can't control buying the next pair of jeans. These range from all prices, fits and colors...Zara, Diesel, G.Armani, you name it...low rise, wide leg, boot cut...I try them on and if they look ok and feel right, they're mine.
wink.gif
On the other hand, I can't put down a good bottle of cologne. The last time I counted I had 15 different bottles. I get them as gifts and buy them. It don't get no better than Eternity. A good watch is also on the list...but at my stage I find them rather pricey. Im waiting for my Kinetic to get back from the shop. I have a fetish for nice watches, though right now I only own 4, none costing more than a buck and a half. I promise myself to get a better one(s) upon graudation and a higher salary. (Im sure we all say this.) I think that is all. The list goes on but I think I'll stop here with the top 3/4. Can't wait to hear more.

Valmont

Reaction score
blonde swedish girls... conti wine whatever the vintage comes as a remote second weakness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads