What's your watch-to-wrist size ratio?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheIdler, Oct 12, 2007.

1. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I'd add that 6.75" is supposedly the average wrist circumference for a US male. So 7" is not schoolgirl thin. I stopped wearing a wristwatch when cellphones became available to me because I wore them purely for function. If I get a watch today it would have to be pretty small and lightweight. Any golfers have an opinion on the Tag Golf watch? http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...ex.lbl?lang=en It looks very comfortable and lightweight.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just as important as case size is lug-to-lug length and relative widths of the dial and bezel. I cannot wear the 42 mm IWC Aquatimer because the lugs extend beyond my wrist, creating an unsightly gap between bracelet and wrist. I can wear a 44 mm Panerai, which has lugs that are short and curved downward. The 41 mm IWC Portuguese, which has a very thin bezel, looks like a clock on my wrist, while the 42 mm Seiko Orange Monster looks fine.

All very good points

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

oh the mistake... the delicious and soothing pleasure of winding a manual watch... [​IMG]
    +1. I find that I wear a thin, small gold maual wind with only a second hand ten times as much as I wear any other watch. The winding is part of it, the other part is that I like small watches.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I wind-up winding-up my automatic watches anyway. They both have long power reserves, so winding up a day of power is often necessary to get them running right.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My wrists are 5.5 inches and I will not exceed 34mm.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

[​IMG]

40 mm

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I'd add that 6.75" is supposedly the average wrist circumference for a US male. So 7" is not schoolgirl thin.

Really?

8" is the average bracelet size for men that my company makes. Rarely do they go below 7".

8. dave

dave Senior member

Really?

8" is the average bracelet size for men that my company makes. Rarely do they go below 7".

I would guess that an 7.5-8" bracelet would fit a 6.75-7" wrist just fine with a little adjustment unless your companies bracelets are meant to be worn tight to the wrist.

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Maybe y'all are right, and I'm over-estimating the hassle of a manual wind. Anyway, we'll see how the 365 turns out. Should arrive Monday.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

+1. I find that I wear a thin, small gold maual wind with only a second hand ten times as much as I wear any other watch. The winding is part of it, the other part is that I like small watches.
    I like small diameter watches but with a relatively thicker case. I've also recently become fond of integrated bracelet watches from the '50s and '60s; I love how they appear so period, rather dated and ever so slightly tacky to throw a brick into classic taste's beveled glass window. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Really? 8" is the average bracelet size for men that my company makes. Rarely do they go below 7".
    I got the numbers from a website so take with a grain of salt but it makes reasonable sense. Here it is: http://www.pipeline.com/~dada3zen/average.htm Label King... 5.5"?! I just measured my wife at 5.1" (r)and 4.9" (l), you're not too far off and that's scary.

12. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I would guess that an 7.5-8" bracelet would fit a 6.75-7" wrist just fine with a little adjustment unless your companies bracelets are meant to be worn tight to the wrist.

Sorry I should have said that a "7.5" bracelet from us is meant to fit a wrist with an actual measurement of 7.5"(aka you buy the actual measurement of your wrist so you don't have to worry about it being too tight, eliminates the guesswork) so you are right in saying that the 7.5 size bracelet measures closer to 7.75-8" in actual length.

13. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

What about clock size to jacket size ratios?

[​IMG]

15. bpanicola

bpanicola Senior member

I stopped wearing a wristwatch when cellphones became available to me because I wore them purely for function. If I get a watch today it would have to be pretty small and lightweight. Any golfers have an opinion on the Tag Golf watch? http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...ex.lbl?lang=en

It looks very comfortable and lightweight.[/quote]

I just went on a cruise and splurged on the TAG Golf watch. It caught my eye because it reminded me of the Monaco and small enough to work on my small wrists. It seemed to expensive for the type of watch it is (Casual watch with a rubber band) but Carnival gives a year unconditional money back guarantee so I figured I have a year to figure out if it was worth it.

Now for the watch. Very light 55 grams. The clasp being created within the case is ingenious. Haveing no clasp or buckle on this watch makes it extremely comfortable. I sometimes forget I am wearing it. You can adjust the band length even after the initial sizing through the entry into the case. When you cut the band you leave excess within the case. I will play a round of golf with it on this weekend. I would assume as the band expands with your moevment it should be just as comfortable. Apparently Tiger had input on it's creation.