1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8 : Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction of the year is for an Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

What's your preferred lapel width?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StyleforumRobot, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I like lapels on the thinner side

2. 3 to 3.5'' is my sweet spot

3. 3.5 to 4'' is just perfect

4. The wider the better!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. StyleforumRobot

StyleforumRobot Distinguished Member Moderator

lapers.jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 14.49.12.png lapel size.jpg jimmy stewart.jpg gregory peck.jpg gatsby_small.jpg 123123123123.jpg

2. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Kind of useless to talk about a lapel measurement without the context of jacket size. A 4 inch lapel would be huge on a size 36 jacket, while it would be pretty middle of the road on a 44.

I wear size 44 jackets. I like 4.5 inch lapels in general. But belly, gorge placement, shape of notch or peak, etc., also come into play.

3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

Should generally end at the mid-point between the inner lapel and the shoulder line.

4. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

Although that might sound to some as a bit of an "iGent" ruel, actually it does work very well, IMO.

5. aph999

aph999 Senior Member

These proportions, and height, on an Isaia suit I purchased on eBay.

7E539703-A4C8-4FB9-8564-B65BB67FFF9B.jpeg

6. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Not bad. I like the size and shape. But yikes, that's a high gorge! I typically prefer high-ish gorges, but those are practically on top of your shoulder.

7. aph999

aph999 Senior Member

8. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

9. aph999

aph999 Senior Member

Yes, a special line from Isaia that taps into vintage Neapolitan styling...

The Marechiaro silhouette taps deep into the Neapolitan sartorial tradition with its soft grinze-trimmed shoulder, wider lapel and full-length darts along the front. The undisputed heart of the ISAIA aesthetic, its classic wide point-to-point across the shoulder and rounder chest aspect lends it a powerful, timeless appeal. The Marechiaro is only available at ISAIA boutiques and online.

To complement this tailored silhouette, we've paired the jacket with a Sanita trouser. Designed for the contemporary gentleman, the Sanita has a medium rise of 22 cm, a somewhat tapered leg and an ankle circumference of 19 cm.

We've drawn our inspiration for this distinctive silhouette from Marechiaro, a small village located in what is now the Posillipo section of Naples. In the 1960's, this neighborhood became a symbol of the high life, attracting Hollywood stars to its traditional restaurants with views of the splendid panorama of the city and, beyond that, Mt. Vesuvius and the island of Capri. Legend has it that the Neapolitan poet and writer Salvatore Di Giacomo, upon seeing a carnation resting on a small windowsill, was struck with the idea for the famous Neapolitan song, Marechiaro

10. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Is it a Marechiaro a line or model (i.e. Base S)? The one here doesn't have a gorge that high

[​IMG]

11. IChen

IChen Senior Member

as far as I know it's one of their models for sport coats. i feel like they play with the gorge for some reason, some are a little higher, some a little lower.

12. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Those are nice lapels. Just about perfect IMO in terms of width, shape, gorge, everything.

13. paxonus

paxonus Senior Member

Lapel is nice. OTOH, showing equal amounts of cuff and shirt under the tie looks bad.

14. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Yeah, the model needs a long for sure, which would fix those issues. But it looks like a product photo, so of course everything's going to be fashiony and cropped.

15. aph999

aph999 Senior Member

Technically, I believe it's a "model"; I should have been more precise in my prior post. But it's not confined to sport coats, it's also a suit model.