What's your opinion on wide notch-lapels? Tom Ford/70s type wide.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Mar 20, 2013.

1. RichardC

RichardC Member

Newbie here - somewhat on topic. Found the below TF suit at local thrift. Curious if this falls into "too wide" territory.

I will go back to see if it is there tomorrow though I'm unsure of the jacket length.
    [​IMG]

2. bertie

bertie Senior member

Fits pretty good for thrift find. Lapels are verging on wide but would say workable. However, the issue is more that the suit looks like a casual cotton suit and those traditionally have a narrower lapel (think JCrew). This would look very different from those.

3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I like them. But this is too much of a good thing. Moderation, folks, moderation.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Looks good other than the way too long sleeves.

6. RichardC

RichardC Member

Any other opinions on the khaki TF suit above? Considering going ahead and buying this weekend.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Additional commentary to my last post: It's a bit hard to tell if the fit is good because long sleeves always make a jacket look off, but the body looks okay. The body might be a bit long, but I can't tell from this photo. You'll want to take a photo from a bit further away and straight on to judge length. What size is it and how tall are you?

8. RichardC

RichardC Member

It's a 38 regular. I'm 5'10, 160 lbs.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Too wide for my tastes but not egregiously so. The question is whether you like it and have the opportunity to wear something like that.

Forget the label -- would you want it if it were from 1978? If so, get it.

10. gentleman94

gentleman94 Member

Notch-lapels fits to my round head, but i don't have a suit with them because it;s hard to buy them in a shop.

11. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

IMO, those are too wide, and I'd have a few concerns about that color (when will you actually wear it?). For a thrift store pick-up, that fits pretty well though. Obviously, it still needs some adjustments, but from one picture, it looks like it's got potential.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

That's a classic cotton suit.
    Obviously some fit issues.
    Lapels are wide but still very much wearable.

13. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

I would get it and make small adjustments on lengths of sleeves. TF jacket lengths tends to be slightly longer than your typical usual suits (O' connor style has slimmer lapels and shorter jacket lengths), and button stance slightly lower in TF as well, giving you the deep 'V' in together with the wide shoulders and slimmer waist fit.

I think the wide notch lapel looks good on you. It is not too wide. Slim lapels are everywhere these days and depending on the suit itself & its proportions, relatively slim lapels can look good. It must fit the overall look from top to bottom and also in proportion to your build and height.
    There are too many ultra-slim lapels and ultra-slim ties that looks ridiculous.
    Stringy lapels and stringy ties. Utter clowns.

I would get it if I were you.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I made the picture bigger and revise my original assessment to "too wide."

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I liked the early TF stuff as a reaction to all the skinny lapels around at the time, but the wider lapel already felt slightly played out by the time Polo started its Garrison (IIRC the name; not sure) line and now it's getting stale for me. For a DB, there's something decadently fun about wide lapels; I've always liked them there and still do. They play well with the relative informality of a double-breasted jacket, especially in concert with non-businessy materials. But for a single-breasted jacket, I'm as bored of very wide lapels as I am of very narrow ones. There's quite large room for maneouvre in the middle ground to keep things interesting, without veering right into the extremes.

IIRC, the more recent TF collections have shifted to a slightly more neutral lapel width. Despite my comments above, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, they look a bit better. On the other, it removes a defining characteristic, making the jackets a bit more anonymous. At least the wide lapels had personality. I guess I can reconcile this feeling with my first para by saying that if you're going to pay TF prices for RTW, then you might as well be getting something relatively difficult to obtain elsewhere. If you want a more conservative suit at those prices (or indeed, rather less) there are plenty of other, and potentially better fitting, options.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013