1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion on wide notch-lapels? Tom Ford/70s type wide.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Mar 20, 2013.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

IMO, those are too wide, and I'd have a few concerns about that color (when will you actually wear it?). For a thrift store pick-up, that fits pretty well though. Obviously, it still needs some adjustments, but from one picture, it looks like it's got potential.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

That's a classic cotton suit.
    Obviously some fit issues.
    Lapels are wide but still very much wearable.

3. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

I would get it and make small adjustments on lengths of sleeves. TF jacket lengths tends to be slightly longer than your typical usual suits (O' connor style has slimmer lapels and shorter jacket lengths), and button stance slightly lower in TF as well, giving you the deep 'V' in together with the wide shoulders and slimmer waist fit.

I think the wide notch lapel looks good on you. It is not too wide. Slim lapels are everywhere these days and depending on the suit itself & its proportions, relatively slim lapels can look good. It must fit the overall look from top to bottom and also in proportion to your build and height.
    There are too many ultra-slim lapels and ultra-slim ties that looks ridiculous.
    Stringy lapels and stringy ties. Utter clowns.

I would get it if I were you.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I made the picture bigger and revise my original assessment to "too wide."

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I liked the early TF stuff as a reaction to all the skinny lapels around at the time, but the wider lapel already felt slightly played out by the time Polo started its Garrison (IIRC the name; not sure) line and now it's getting stale for me. For a DB, there's something decadently fun about wide lapels; I've always liked them there and still do. They play well with the relative informality of a double-breasted jacket, especially in concert with non-businessy materials. But for a single-breasted jacket, I'm as bored of very wide lapels as I am of very narrow ones. There's quite large room for maneouvre in the middle ground to keep things interesting, without veering right into the extremes.

IIRC, the more recent TF collections have shifted to a slightly more neutral lapel width. Despite my comments above, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, they look a bit better. On the other, it removes a defining characteristic, making the jackets a bit more anonymous. At least the wide lapels had personality. I guess I can reconcile this feeling with my first para by saying that if you're going to pay TF prices for RTW, then you might as well be getting something relatively difficult to obtain elsewhere. If you want a more conservative suit at those prices (or indeed, rather less) there are plenty of other, and potentially better fitting, options.

6. bertie

bertie Senior member

I get 4" lapels on my suits but they do not reach the half way point to my shoulder. That is my general rule of thumb for acceptable width.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Tom Ford's new skinny peak lapels look terrible.

1 person likes this.
  8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

9. Superfluous

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Yeah, I can see why you're not keen on the narrower peaks. The notches look better with the newer width though IMO. Leaving that aside, the model with the beard looks rather painfully sunburnt. I can only assume this was an intentional style decision by the TF team, as otherwise he would have presumably been sent home and someone else hired instead. I must indeed have reached the fuddy-duddy stage of life, because I can't for the life of me discern why this is something aspirational to portray or even artistically meaningful in terms of creating a positive buzz. :)

11. Superfluous

I also don't understand the 3 inches of cuff showing that happens towards the end of the lookbook.

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

im kinda digging look 29 that shawl lapel "blazer?" thing. Worn casually like that

13. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Tried on this season's suits.....
    Slightly higher stance on jacket buttons, slimmer lapels, and the pants are much more tailored and tapered down at the leg opening. An overall slimmer fit compared to prev Windsor/ Wetherby.
    Overall as a suit, I prefer the older Windsor/ Wetherby cut over this one. Definitely a pass on this new season. Clearly designed for a younger clientèle with slimmer/skinnier frame in mind.

However, as a blazer only, the look is refreshing.

14. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

I think a jacket's maximum lapel width should not typically be proportionately more than half the wearer's neck to shoulder width.

15. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

+1. I think a good rule of thumb is somewhere between 1/3 and 1.2 of the neck to shoulder width.

16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I almost bought the Garrison model from PRL 3 years ago, but decided against it because the wide lapel. In retrospect I should definitely have bought the bradford...

17. DocHolliday

I'm not sure it translates. TF is selling a certain decadence. Put the huge lapels on Ralph's clean-cut models and the effect is lost.

It will be interesting to see how the wide lapel thing plays out, if it hasn't already. The skinny lapel fad was accompanied by a renewed appreciation for the period clothes. Lots of talk of "when men knew how to dress" and "back to business" and that sort of thing. Felt right for the times. Have we had enough austerity that people are now warming to the '70s? I would think that would be a hard sell -- the '60s fashions were never held in the same regretful contempt as the '70s stuff. If people don't appreciate the original looks, how much legs can the revival have?

I'd love to see some interesting shaping on a wider lapel, like the sort of thing you saw in the '30s and '40s. That would be more interesting to me than lapels that are oversized for the sake of being oversized.

18. bertie

bertie Senior member

I always thought the RL and TF looks referenced the 1920s/30s period rather than the 1970s.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  19. DocHolliday

The funny thing is that Ralph did originally. Made his name trading on the golden age. But the stuff in the OP (especially the second one) looks much more '70s to me. I assume that's because he's chasing TF, whose aesthetic is very much grounded in that decade's debauchery.

20. bertie

bertie Senior member

Nothing subtle about TF though I have a grudging respect for his riffing on some interesting shapes, colors and textures. Would you have any photos of those older lapels you mentioned - those with some more shape?