• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your opinion on some body types dont look good muscular

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Honestly if you are below 6'0 you probably dont look good muscular unless you are proportioned very well. Im just barely 5'10 and I look so short and stocky when Im muscular.

I'm 5'8.5" and really oddly proportioned-- wide hips and stubby legs and arms. I definitely look better than I did before I started working out, but I'm resigned to the fact I'll never look as good as taller, better-proportioned guys.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I disagree with the latter statement. I'm a skinny dude (6'1" and 140 lbs) and most mall-brand clothing is way too boxy on me. I'd say most mainstream clothes are tailored for the average build person (5'10" and 175 lbs).
6' 1" 140 is beyond skinny man. And mall brand stuff generally sucks. But I am pretty much average height... somewhat muscular build (currently have an 11" drop)... **** generally just doesn't fit me now out of the box. Shirts don't taper enough, and I have to get pants way bigger than my actual waist size. Before I started lifting seriously clothes fit me a lot better out of the box.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 6'2" 160 pretty much all designer stuff fit like a glove.

Now that I'm 6'2" 205 nothing fits very well. ****** won't fit in to anything and I have to size up 2 sizes. But I'm far happier to not be so damn skinny.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more bulky i get the more girls notice/flirt with me so i dont think the whole girls dont like muscular guys theory holds true. To be fair though, i live on long island...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
6' 1" 140 is beyond skinny man. And mall brand stuff generally sucks.

But I am pretty much average height... somewhat muscular build (currently have an 11" drop)... **** generally just doesn't fit me now out of the box. Shirts don't taper enough, and I have to get pants way bigger than my actual waist size. Before I started lifting seriously clothes fit me a lot better out of the box.

Yeah, I'm still skinny, but I used to be REALLY skinny, like 120 lbs. I was that type of skinny where the moment you'd see me, the first thought that would have crossed your mind was "damn, that kid is skinny."

Now I'm more well-proportioned. I've gained a lot of lean mass and some fat so I can wear fitted t-shirts and people will say I look muscular. I'm not jacked by any means, but I've definitely come a long way and my being too skinny is no longer a complex. I used to be so self-conscious in the summers about how long my t-shirt sleeves would be because my arms were so rail thin. Not anymore.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look better at 175lb, 12% BF and 6'2" then I did at 120lb, probably like 20% BF and no muscle and 6'2". If I get up to like 200lb I will probably look **** though.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I look better at 175lb, 12% BF and 6'2" then I did at 120lb, probably like 20% BF and no muscle and 6'2". If I get up to like 200lb I will probably look **** though.

no ****, but do you have any transformation pics? you seem to have started with the same build as me and my ideal weight is around 165-175, though I'm 1 inch shorter than you. I still had low BF when I was 120 lbs though, so I wasn't really skinny-fat. I was just ******* skinny.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
OP, don't worry about your lower half. Women love strong legs and a nice butt. Are you sure your clothes fit? You might need to buy new ones.
Yea don't bro out, it looks stupid, squats + deads will add like 30 mins to a weekly routine and make you not look like a roided out paraplegic

ThatGuy

Reaction score
It's all about proportions.

Having decent mass and lean doesn't mean it can overcome your short legs.

Some guys look better just from this. Very simple.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji

200lbs at 6'2" would actually look pretty good as long as you have a low bf. My goal weight is 200lbs at 10BF at my height of 6'1"....very muscular looking for the average folk but the ideal weight for aesthetics imo for 6'-6'2" range. Not huge but definitely not small.

My current weight is 175. I've gotten compliments but the skinny guy inside of me wants to keep adding weight. Clothes look great on me and am finally upgrading to size L from my previous size S-M when I was 30lbs lighter. I am an ecto by nature so I can afford to gain more weight so I think clothes won't look awfully tight if I keep increasing.

To answer the OP's question, I think as long as you are healthy looking you have my "respect". It doesn't take much to add lean muscle though and think that guys should be active in some way. Obese people have no excuse imo.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
athletic always looks good. overly bodybuilding can look bad

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion looks better on the slim imo. I'm 6'1" and back when I was into powerlifting 6 or 7 years ago I got up to 205 at 12% body fat. I felt clothes didn't fit me that well then, also I wasn't wearing them as slim then. Now I'm around 170 at 9-10% body fat and I feel clothes look better on me.

gwolf

Reaction score
daniel craig seems to be a decent size 5'10 175 muscular enough...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads