1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion on bow-ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

The last year or so, I've noticed a huge increase of people wearing bow-ties in my age group(20s). In fact, I see more people wearing bow-tie than a normal tie these days. (Not in a business enviroment, but rather casual or semi-formal settings)

I think it's because a lot of young people look at the tie as a formal, old fashoned and/or just a plain old-guy thing...or it could just be some kind of fad.

Either way, what's your opinion on wearing a bow-tie?

2. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Bow-ties, like four-in-hand ties, should not be worn without a a jacket or sweater. Unfortunately, 90% of assholes wearing bows, are in shirt-sleeves,. 30% of them are are wearing clip-on suspenders and well over half are wearing pre-tied bows.

1 person likes this.
  3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Good observation. Also, the vast majority of guys that I see are sporting bow-ties, usually wear a bright red one. Accompanied by a matching pocket square.

Pre-tied, shiny and in polyester of course.

1 person likes this.
  4. GBR

GBR Senior member

It is merely a passing fashion fortunately and such ties will be left to ageing scientists and mad professors.

5. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

... Agreed that there is alot more to a bow tie than a bow tie. Really you need a waistcoat or if worn with a DJ a waistcoat or cummerbund and silk braces. The match of colour and fabric becomes complex. Regardless of protocol I am incredibly happy with the US fashion for bow ties because 1) they are timeless and classic and 2) I can now buy them by the handful. In the UK it is more avant guard.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013