What's your opinion on bow-ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

The last year or so, I've noticed a huge increase of people wearing bow-ties in my age group(20s). In fact, I see more people wearing bow-tie than a normal tie these days. (Not in a business enviroment, but rather casual or semi-formal settings)

I think it's because a lot of young people look at the tie as a formal, old fashoned and/or just a plain old-guy thing...or it could just be some kind of fad.

Either way, what's your opinion on wearing a bow-tie?

2. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Bow-ties, like four-in-hand ties, should not be worn without a a jacket or sweater. Unfortunately, 90% of assholes wearing bows, are in shirt-sleeves,. 30% of them are are wearing clip-on suspenders and well over half are wearing pre-tied bows.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Good observation. Also, the vast majority of guys that I see are sporting bow-ties, usually wear a bright red one. Accompanied by a matching pocket square.

Pre-tied, shiny and in polyester of course.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

It is merely a passing fashion fortunately and such ties will be left to ageing scientists and mad professors.

5. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

... Agreed that there is alot more to a bow tie than a bow tie. Really you need a waistcoat or if worn with a DJ a waistcoat or cummerbund and silk braces. The match of colour and fabric becomes complex. Regardless of protocol I am incredibly happy with the US fashion for bow ties because 1) they are timeless and classic and 2) I can now buy them by the handful. In the UK it is more avant guard.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013