• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your next purchase?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It doesn't cease to amaze me how many people have so much disposable income. I want to be in the line of work you're all in!
I think you'll find most folks here, are just good deal finders, presently company included post sf. I am by no means even remotely close to being wealthy and when I look over the past year of acquisitions, I am kind of shocked even someone of my means was able to mass such a (starter-my wife says damn near final) collection. Of course, I did not buy any new hi-fi gear and my record shopping dropped to only the essentials as I pretty much spent most of my discretionary efforts outside of entertainment on refining my wardrobe. Not to brag, but I was able to amass, 7 quality pairs of english shoes, 4 egs, 2 c&js, 1 barker black. 7 suits, 4 rl black label, 1 rl signature label, 1 brooks brothers fitzgerald, 1 rl polo midnight navy tux. 4 sportcoats, 1 thick as thieves navy, 1 rl signature cashmere navy, 1 polo rl brown herringbone tweed, and 1 hickey olive check tweed. about 10 pairs of trous, incotex, rl black label, rl polo, and etro. a few shirts and a some ties and other miscellaneous things. of course all of these were purchased at less than half of retail, often closer to 75% off. if you spend enough time in the b&s you'll be able to score some deals, even without socal's budget. back on topic, next purchase: trying to be good for the next month or so, so nothing really planned. just placed an made to order order with barker black for a special pair of loafers. unfortunately i won't be able to enjoy them until middle of november.

ethandesu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
I think you'll find most folks here, are just good deal finders, presently company included post sf. I am by no means even remotely close to being wealthy and when I look over the past year of acquisitions, I am kind of shocked even someone of my means was able to mass such a (starter-my wife says damn near final) collection.

Of course, I did not buy any new hi-fi gear and my record shopping dropped to only the essentials as I pretty much spent most of my discretionary efforts outside of entertainment on refining my wardrobe. Not to brag, but I was able to amass, 7 quality pairs of english shoes, 4 egs, 2 c&js, 1 barker black. 7 suits, 4 rl black label, 1 rl signature label, 1 brooks brothers fitzgerald, 1 rl polo midnight navy tux. 4 sportcoats, 1 thick as thieves navy, 1 rl signature cashmere navy, 1 polo rl brown herringbone tweed, and 1 hickey olive check tweed. about 10 pairs of trous, incotex, rl black label, rl polo, and etro. a few shirts and a some ties and other miscellaneous things. of course all of these were purchased at less than half of retail, often closer to 75% off. if you spend enough time in the b&s you'll be able to score some deals, even without socal's budget.

back on topic, next purchase:

trying to be good for the next month or so, so nothing really planned. just placed an made to order order with barker black for a special pair of loafers. unfortunately i won't be able to enjoy them until middle of november.

Here here... I have lots of people ask me how I afford a wardrobe like the one I have, and my answer is sacrifice. No car, no mortgage, dont take drugs, dont drink to excess and go to nightclubs.. Holidays with my wife tend to just be extensions of work trips.. I make my own shirts and alter my own suits.. So anyone who thinks that a great wardrobe is a luxury for the rich, I say no, it is an achievement in self restraint in every other aspect of life.

ethandesu

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethandesu
Here here... I have lots of people ask me how I afford a wardrobe like the one I have, and my answer is sacrifice. No car, no mortgage, dont take drugs, dont drink to excess and go to nightclubs.. Holidays with my wife tend to just be extensions of work trips.. I make my own shirts and alter my own suits.. So anyone who thinks that a great wardrobe is a luxury for the rich, I say no, it is an achievement in self restraint in every other aspect of life.

ethandesu

Ethan,

A very good point - it all depends where one's priorities lie.
However, I do agree with the previous poster that seeking out good deals on the B&S forum here, from the "support the forum" merchants, and on eBay does allow one to punch well above one's financial weight in the clothing stakes.
That suit that I bought from you at 60% off recently was the most expensive purchase I've made in the past couple of years, but I've still managed to amass a wardrobe filled with English, Italian and other European clothing labels, either new or very lightly used.

As for my next purchase, I've been wanting to get a very light or unstructured, cream wool jacket for a while now.
Preferably a three-roll-to-two with double vents and three patch pockets.
I'm hoping to find something appealing in a sales thread or on eBay as the northern hemisphere moves towards winter.

I'd also really love a JLC Reverso, as all my watches have circular dials and the JLC not only looks lovely but would provide an interesting counterpoint to my other watches.

mensoption

Reaction score
I hope the new British Millerain Anchor peacoat
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads