• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your Myers-Briggs?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Countdemoney and Huntsman: if you were to use a couple of adjectives to describe each an INTJ and an NF, what would they be? Or if that doesn't work, can you give examples of behavior that cause you to use these acronyms for people around you?

Fab, sorry for the delay. In general, myers-briggs refers to how you like to interact with the world. It is about preferences in how you act, not abilities.

Here are some versions of a description that I read at 19 and thought the test givers had gone through my stuff:
http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html
http://keirsey.com/personality/ntij.html

I think you posted that you're an intj? If so, you'll probably recognize some of the above descriptions in yourself.

NF's, ahh NF's. You can sometimes here the phrase, "rich NF-y goodness". NF girls can often legitimately described as being "sweet". NF's at their best, tend to be very warm people who also readily entertain different ideas about the world. Sometimes a little "flighty" or "goofy", it's very natural and very easily forgiven. Their sense of fantasy generally means that they can brainstorm with an INTJ (which intj's love) and their personal warmth tends to be attractive to intj's who do enjoy personal warmth but don't always express it in obvious ways.

If she likes cats or puppy dogs and laughs at austin powers, mel brooks or enjoys the film the princess bride she's probably an NF.

http://keirsey.com/personality/nf.html

Hope this helps. Type theory tends to be useful in helping you more quickly figure out how to interact with people you may have difficulty interacting with. It can also help you more easily make some people feel comfortable.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ENTP

I've spent a good bit of time studying MBTI and other related theories the last few years. It's worth noting that there are a lot of different takes on it. MBTI and Keirsey are somewhat different for instance. Check out socionics, especially their theories on the "dynamics" between different personality types for some interesting reading. Then read about POLR's, if you dare. Ultimately I pretty much gave up on the whole thing. The strength of these theories lies in years of human observation and the very real patterns that turn up. The weakness is always in the "models" constructed in an attempt to predict, or sum something as complex as a personality - they always fall short in real life.

It also should be noted that the many different personality tests that go along with this branch of psychology have probably a 50/50 chance of correctly identifying your type, at best. Unless professionally administered, and even then... They are designed to trick you into revealing your 'true personality', as opposed to what you think you are or want to be. But mostly they just end up being confusing. If you are really interested in this stuff, it is best to study up, understand it, and type yourself that way. Or have somebody type you that knows their stuff.

I always figured the membership of this board was 90% plus intuitive.

NF girls
inlove.gif
Especially the introverted ones.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as what all this means:

For some the letters each mean something distinct - Extraversion vs Introversion which has to do with your focus (external vs internal) and where you draw your energy, sensation vs intuition which has to do with your primary mode of gathering/taking in information, thinking vs feeling (I like to think of this as objective vs subjective) which has to do processing and prioritizing information, and perception versus judgment which is a little more complicated, but has to do in part with decision making and closure (though it tends to mistakenly be categorized as 'neat vs. messy'.) Each person has and uses all eight, but tends to lean in a specific direction for each pair, though to different degrees. For instance, nobody is extraverted ALL the time, but a person may be slightly more extroverted than introverted overall, or perhaps almost always extraverted.

For others your type is determined by the order of your "functions" which are introverted thinking, extraverted thinking, introverted feeling, extraverted feeling, introverted intuition, extraverted intuition, introverted sensation, and extraverted sensation. The theory is that most people use their first and second functions most of the time so those end up being most important.

I read an interesting book which proposed that judging types are left brain dominant, and can only (mentally) deal with a few things at a time, without feeling stressed. Thus they tend to be more cut and dried, black and white, and also tend to plan and schedule more. Perceptives were classified as right brain dominant, and can process many things at once. For them, decision making before all options have been considered is the source of stress.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tcm.JPG
This is all psychobabble. a pseudo-science. You don't know the history of psychology. I do. There are no such things as personality variations. Categorizing all these different aspects of people's personality just masks the underlying problem. Everyone is the same, some people just lack the proper vitamins. This is where I talk out against differing personalities, of telling children that its ok to be shy without knowing the effects of introvertedness or judgementalism. Do you know what Intuition is? Intuition leads to working for Miss Cleo's 1-900 numbers, finding lost car keys, and gambling, which is a disease. It is practially a street drug now you know... The only important question is this; what do you rate on the E-meter? How many thetans are possessing you right now? This interview is over. You are being glib. I'm just passionate about learning. I'm passionate about life.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Your Type is
ENFP
Extroverted 56\t\t
Intuitive 25\t
Feeling\t38
Perceiving 22

You are:

* moderately expressed extrovert
* moderately expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed feeling personality
* slightly expressed perceiving personality

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am probably between an INTP and ENTJ. I think that most people in the forum, or at least the ones which participate, are NTs (Rationalists). Perhaps it is because we like to analyze things to understand what's good about it, be it the Neopolitan shoulder or the Norvegese stitching.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
tcm.JPG

This is all psychobabble. a pseudo-science.

You don't know the history of psychology. I do. There are no such things as personality variations. Categorizing all these different aspects of people's personality just masks the underlying problem. Everyone is the same, some people just lack the proper vitamins.

This is where I talk out against differing personalities, of telling children that its ok to be shy without knowing the effects of introvertedness or judgementalism.
Do you know what Intuition is? Intuition leads to working for Miss Cleo's 1-900 numbers, finding lost car keys, and gambling, which is a disease. It is practially a street drug now you know...

The only important question is this; what do you rate on the E-meter? How many thetans are possessing you right now?
This interview is over. You are being glib.

I'm just passionate about learning. I'm passionate about life.

jeo6.jpg

I, a...[ laughs ], I, a...[ laughs ], I, a...[ laughs ], I, a...[ laughs ]

I know this, I got it. It's right up here. I got it, I know it, I know it, it's right up here. I got it

Help me, Alex. Help me, help you. Help me, help you.

And of course:

Alex Trebek: And it's time for Final Jeoardy. The Final Jeopardy category is just answer the question Where are you right now? Just right down where you are right now. It could be California, or a game show, or earth, or the word "here." Ok, let's get this over with. Tom Cruise, you wrote down: "Go." And you wagered: "For it." Go for it. You certainly did.

Tom Cruise: [ Laughs ]

Jon.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Geez - I just took a test on Tickle, not even really thinking about it or realizing it was the Myers-Briggs and still came up as an ENFP! I guess you really can't escape your personality.
smile.gif

Glad to see that M@T is an ENFP as well - must have something to do with us PR/Media types.

jedisamurai

Reaction score
I find one thing highly curious. Reading this Death Spiral thing, it appears that it works in reverse in my case. I am an INTJ and always have been strongly so, and I like ENFPs very much. What seems to happen is that I start to like ENFP girls, think that they understand me and we share a special connection, then find that THEY are the ones who are cold and want distance from the relationship, to the point where two relationships with friends have been ruined and anothr nearly so. Is there such a thing as a reverse spiral where it goes in the other direction?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
So I have this theory that the people--like one of my sisters--who interrupt in the middle of a movie or a TV show to ask "Who's that? What are they doing? Why is she doing that?" when not only does *no one* know yet, but it's clear from context that no one's *supposed* to know yet, and further, it's even clearer that all these questions will be answered by the story itself in due time--anyway, I have a theory that all of those people are Sensates.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ My ten-year-old daughter has done this since she was able to speak. Drives me crazy.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife does it, too, and a college roommate of mine used to do it. Drives me crazy. Just watch the movie! All of your questions will be answered in due time.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
DR and JBZ, get them to take the Myers-Briggs! I want anecdotal confirmation of my theory.
smile.gif

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I did this over ten years ago for my pre-marital counseling. They put me as an ENTP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads