• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Go-to Polo Shirt?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunspel, and the toweling polos are underrated. Fred Perry fits well on me but they don't feel as nice as Sunspel. Curious about Italian makers like Brunello and Loro Piana.

Pedro Moreira

Reaction score
My two cents:

Tom Ford
Pal Zileri
Canali

disappointed with Sunspel Riviera.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L.L Bean Double L Polo. Inexpensive and wear well.
However, they are cut very full. The short sleeve has a
"trim" model. The long sleeve is tent- like. I wear L because
I very big chest and shoulders which leaves a lot of fabric
around the waist.Until they come up with a trim long sleeve
model, I will not buy any more. Bean seems to cater to fat
middle age men. I am well beyond middle age but not fat enough.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My FP collection, set up over time. I wear Fred Perry since i am a teenager. My older one, still wearable, is from the 1980s. I've got some made in England, made in Portugal, made in Japan, and made in China (less good, without surprise). 2 buttons and 3 buttons numbers. I always preferred the plain ones (while FP is well known for the ones with trim/piping).

Fred collec.jpg

hysteria

Reaction score
I used to wear a lot of Smedley and Sunspel. But the new kid on the block is Colhay's, and they are really good. Especially, if you are on the slimmer side, the cut is very spot on.

They look good, but their collection is so limited. Also, I don't get the point of their 70% cashmere knit polos - seems like an odd choice of fabric for short sleeves in the summer.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
They look good, but their collection is so limited. Also, I don't get the point of their 70% cashmere knit polos - seems like an odd choice of fabric for short sleeves in the summer.

Yeah, I think I feel you, But the knitted cashmere just makes it more refined -- and, actually, feels great on the skin. I personally wouldn't write it off as a winter-only fabric.

@SimonC has written about them here:

elterrell

Reaction score
Lands End has nice polos. I am not sure they are fancy enough for most people who ask for fashion advice on Styleforum, but I find them nice as I don't particularly look for high-end polos. I've worn enough to say they are nice looking and stylish, though.

They also make in big men's sizes and smaller men's sizes, so whether you're short or tall, thin or fat, you can usually get a nice fit.

Likewise, not fancy but smart wool makes a great polo which is great if you’re active, outdoors, or sweat a lot. It also ‘hangs’ really well.

hysteria

Reaction score
Not your standard polo, but I like the split neck. Not sure how it would look in reality, but def intrigued.
Curious to hear input on what y'all think about these two items:

https://www.casatlantic.com/products/anfa-boucle-polo-ivory.

Last edited:

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Curious to hear input on what y'all think about these two items

I think it would show too much chest hair and is overpriced for what it is.

Also, I wonder if the extra long sleeve ribbing is snug enough that the sleeves would poof out as you move around. They don't have pictures of anyone wearing them that I could find.

jimney

Reaction score
Connection Knitwear was able to modify the fit for one of their polos based on my measurements, so I ordered one. I will report back based on how it goes.

Bling

Reaction score
My two cents:

Tom Ford
Pal Zileri
Canali

disappointed with Sunspel Riviera.

I bought both Tom Ford and Sunspot Riviera polos recently. I like both, however I agree the Tom Ford is better, and is the one I reach for when I want to add a bit of oomph to whatever I'm wearing.

I found the pique fabric to be crisp and have the right amount of weight. I also love the "hug" of the arms and the collar, which strikes me as different, in a good way. It's an aggressive cut without being too slim. Plenty of room to move in the body.

The Riviera is nice but a touch light for my own taste, with respect to the fabric. Fit is slimmer than TF. Would probably buy both brands again.

hysteria

Reaction score
Connection Knitwear was able to modify the fit for one of their polos based on my measurements, so I ordered one. I will report back based on how it goes.

Which one did you buy?
They have some nice items. Atrocious website and it looks like stock availability is a big issue,, but I like the vibe they're going for. Curious to know how the quality turns out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics