• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Go-to Polo Shirt?

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Another polo I wear a lot is ministry of supply. The fabric is synthetic but feels good and is neigh indestructible.

I wear them primarily for the fit, though.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I used to wear a lot of Smedley and Sunspel. But the new kid on the block is Colhay's, and they are really good. Especially, if you are on the slimmer side, the cut is very spot on.

Definitely not on the slimmer side. 😂

DrewMill

Reaction score
What's your budget?

If you're looking for a dressier look, these are hard to beat in the value-for-money category. The hidden button-down self collar is great.

edit: Look around and you can find a 3/$99 deal with free shipping. That's a steal for these.

Around the sub-$100 mark I guess. The Lacoste, RL range. But will bump up if it's something I love.

DrewMill

Reaction score
For run of the mill stuff, Lands End is remarkably good. I like very much that they have a long size option, which means I can get a long enough torso (and sleeves for the winter) without going up to XXL. Now for graduate school winters, I can grab 8 long sleeve polos for the price of one bespoke shirt and cut amazing amounts off my cleaning bills.

LL Bean has long-fit shirts also, although I've come to prefer the Lands End flat weave.

For even better fit, I do custom order at Vastrm. Probably not possible to do so well now after Covid, but they used to send three different cuts to you in the mail and you could then work with them to get ideal shoulder placement, etc, and modify as necessary to get perfect size.

In days gone by, I used to be a Lacoste regular, but they kept moving production further away from France. They insist the cotton knit is the same, but I would need to be persuaded. I still have a few kicking around that were made in France-- if they start fraying more at the placket, I might have to try again to see how things are.

Ascot Chang also makes nice bespoke ones. They have my pattern down pretty well for other reasons, so all that is left to worry about is the collar design.

From everything I've heard, from folks in Europe and France, the made in France Lacoste fabric is definitely better.

Reaction score
With summer approaching, I'm looking to stock up on some new polos. Recently, I've been a Lacoste fan. I like the feel of the fabric, and they have sizes that fit me (6"0", 235#). However, I thought I would see what else is out there. I used to wear Brooks Brothers too, but the new performance fabric is garbage. Drake's are very nice, but expensive. Spier & Mackay's are a little snug. Ralph Lauren's sizes and fits don't quite work for my body.

What brands are you guys wearing? Anything else worth looking into?
I quite like Spier and Mackay’s polos. Fit for me is good and I love the option of spread collar or button collar. There seems to be more structure in their collars which I think is needed when wearing under a blazer. I love Twillory’s dress shirts and I’m sure their polos are similarly nice. Another one to try.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I quite like Spier and Mackay’s polos. Fit for me is good and I love the option of spread collar or button collar. There seems to be more structure in their collars which I think is needed when wearing under a blazer. I love Twillory’s dress shirts and I’m sure their polos are similarly nice. Another one to try.

I have a lot of S&M clothes, no polos though. I'll have a look!

Reaction score
I have a lot of S&M clothes, no polos though. I'll have a look!
Good deal! Here are two polos I have from SM. I chose these for the bold color and collar options.

Attachments

• 0D0D3BB6-9B97-450B-9262-53643211EAF4.jpeg
    0D0D3BB6-9B97-450B-9262-53643211EAF4.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 247
  • D78DC1F7-8816-4940-9557-51E3F5469185.jpeg
    D78DC1F7-8816-4940-9557-51E3F5469185.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 271

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads