• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite national anthem?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Hatikvah is the only one that gives me goose bumps
+1 but I also love Jerusalem. I always bust out yerushalaem shel zahaaaaaav.

Smartalox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
O canada sucks.

Actually, in the original French, O Canada is quite moving.

I'll grant you, the English lyrics are just a lot of standing around 'on guard for thee'; but in French, it's all about 'valour' and "epic tales of (the nation's) brilliant exploits".

Truly the stuff that builds nations.

Nugget

Reaction score
I quite like the Sth African one as well. (new one that is) 5 languages, and one youtube poster says "It is the only neo-modal national anthem in the world".

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
Actually, in the original French, O Canada is quite moving.

I'll grant you, the English lyrics are just a lot of standing around 'on guard for thee'; but in French, it's all about 'valour' and "epic tales of (the nation's) brilliant exploits".

Truly the stuff that builds nations.

Here are the French lyrics for reference:

Gens du pays, c'est votre tour
De vous laisser parler d'amour

devil.gif

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Smartalox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Here are the French lyrics for reference:

Gens du pays, c'est votre tour
De vous laisser parler d'amour

devil.gif

Non, Fabienne, THESE are the French Lyrics (from Wikipedia entry for "O Canada")

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
e,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une Ã
00a9.png
popÃ
00a9.png
e
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempÃ
00a9.png
e,
ProtÃ
00a9.png
gera nos foyers et nos droits
ProtÃ
00a9.png
gera nos foyers et nos droits.

(Translated, for the Anglos)

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights

(P.S.: Bonne Anniversaire)

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikemas22
What's that "oora", "ooraaaaaaaaaaaa" thing in the beginning?

I suppose they are saying "ura", which is the russian equivalent for hooray.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
soviet anthem hands down, followed by oman's national anthem

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it reminds me of my childhood in oman... the little dude on the right is sultan qaboos (kah-boos), the ruler. he's gay but you can't say he's gay or the cops will come to your house. regardless, it was common knowledge that he would **** young guys a single time and then - after furnishing them with beautiful houses and a mercedes and some cashmoney$$$ - move onto the next

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikemas22
The Star Spangled Banner is fine, of course, when it's lively, but not when sung by those Mariah Carreys, Whitney Houstons and Christina Aguileras and their likes... and I'm having a hard time finding a good dynamic version of it.

It's natural we love our OWN national anthems, but I think we should exclude them from the vote.
smile.gif

To each his own. Whitney Houston 1991 was, IMHO, the most emotionally compelling rendition ever. That said, The Star Spangled banner is objectively a pretty poor anthem. Nearly impossible to sing and doesn't even talk about the country!

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
it reminds me of my childhood in oman... the little dude on the right is sultan qaboos (kah-boos), the ruler. he's gay but you can't say he's gay or the cops will come to your house. regardless, it was common knowledge that he would **** young guys a single time and then - after furnishing them with beautiful houses and a mercedes and some cashmoney$$$ - move onto the next
Well, you said it. Say hello to the cops, and goodbye to SF!
wink.gif

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
To each his own. Whitney Houston 1991 was, IMHO, the most emotionally compelling rendition ever. That said, The Star Spangled banner is objectively a pretty poor anthem. Nearly impossible to sing and doesn't even talk about the country!

To each their own. I, on the other hand think, that the lyrics of the SSB are quite good: full of hope and the spirit of persisting till the end - which is a great thing to have in a national anthem. But the music is impressive only in some bombastic orchestrated rendition.... otherwise it's sooooo boring.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Japan's is very soft, quiet, and subdued; basically the opposite of the bombastic US or Russian one. And the words are rather strange.

"Kimigayo"
The translation is something like, "May your reign last 1000.... no... 8000 generations, or the time it takes for a small pebble to grow into a great rock, covered with moss."

And it has no ending, it just sort of stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9iP...eature=related

You failed to mention that it's the Kimigayo "plus alpha"! The bonus track is longer than the national anthem!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Favorites:

• Canada - nice melody, cool lyrics
  • Soviet Union - something very Carl Orff-esque about it.
  • US - awkward rhythm, but I still get goosebumps everytime around "o say does that star...."
  • CSA - Dixie wasn't the official anthem, but when played slowly it takes on a nice mournful quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads