• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite article of clothing???

marc37

Reaction score
What kind of person are you? Are you a shoe person, hat person, suit person, tie person etc.

(You can only choose one thing, eg ties or shoes not both).

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm-a say...sweaters. i'm a sweater sucker.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I am a cufflink person. 2,000 pairs and counting of art deco double sided and snap type links, mostly enamel ones

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a cufflink person. 2,000 pairs and counting of art deco double sided and snap type links, mostly enamel ones
have you got some pictures?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see, in no particular order:

-- Cashmere Loro Piana "horsey" jacket
-- Heavy wool plaid Pendleton jacket (very comfortable, tough and surprisingly warm; added bonus -- for some reason, women always liked it and girlfriends liked to borrow it)
-- RLPL/EG loafers on last 100, with a slightly squared-off/pointy toe
-- LL Bean "bean boots" that I've had since I was a freshman in college.
-- Paul Stuart 'Sea Island' cotton shirt with French cuffs given to me by my father that he outgrew long ago -- it's at least 30 years old and still looks and wears like it's brand new.
-- Bespoke black double-breasted overcoat that weighs about 20 pounds (unbelievably heavy wool fabric), in perfect condition, extra long (falls a little below the knees), found about 10 years ago in a Washington, DC thrift shop. Someday I'll get a copy made of it in another color -- blue or camel....

CharlieZircon

Reaction score
At work at least I am a tie guy.
In fact at our place I am THE tie guy - about 80 people, i'm the only one that wears a tie regularly. It's kind of a challenge I set myself when I started 5 or so years ago to wear a tie everyday - so I wear all sorts of shirts (always long sleeve) with all sorts of ties - veering from the pinstripe suit, french cuff and cufflinks, cutaway collar and heavy silk tie to ... well pattern on pattern, check shirt with plain, fabulous signature ties etc.
I just try to have fun with it.

kidkim2

Reaction score
(a) Broad-shouldered camel colored cashmere MTM (Hong Kong) topcoat that extends six inches below my knee (and I'm 6'6" tall.).

(b) Two MTM spread collar dress shirts (same Hong Kong tailor) in very big patterns and with unusually high collars.  Ideal for pattern mixing.  And about a year ago, when I took delivery, I couldn't stand the things.  (Does anybody else have this experience--often needing to let new clothes "marinate" in the closet before wearing?)

Â
00a9.png
Black wingtip J&M handmade Aristocrats ("Pollocks".) in 13AA from Bennie's in Atlanta.  (Oh BTW, approximately 75% off.)

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never understand the appeal of jeans (my gf has over 30 pair). Oh well.

koji

Zubberah

Reaction score
There isn't one article I'm more fond of than others - I'm the complete package.
wink.gif
At work (and in my industry) I am well known for my "best dressed" reputation (having won awards to this effect and a smiley face Moschino tie..&#33
wink.gif
- but I am renowned for my ties and cufflinks more than my suits (lesser point of differentiation). Casually, I am known for my casual shoes (all up close to 50 pairs) and black jacket collection and belt collection. As to my favourites, no single line just everything.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say my blue brioni suit. My first nice suit, I bought it (it was very slightly used) in 2001, and it still looks great. JUST the right length of jacket, double vented, and shoulders are just a little different than other Brionis I've seen. Yesterday, I removed the cuffs (they have been cuffed for about three years of wear&#33
wink.gif
, to re-fit the waist of the trousers to be worn with a belt instead of braces, and re-cuff. Amazing, how the cuffs ironed/ steamed out so well. Of all my suits, I guess this is the one I really associate with my entry into The Big League Clothing-- hope I can get several more years out of this great suit.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes--Definitely #1
Second Place--tie between suits, jackets and ties
3rd--Hats (I place the hats third because I'm kind of sated.)

Not especially interested in slacks--I can pick up too many pretty nice ones dirt cheap. I don't like wearing a dress shirt without a jacket, and so I tend to regard them as akin to undergarments. If the collar and cuffs look reasonably okay, that's fine. The custom bespoke shirt thing leaves me cold.

marc37

Reaction score
Shoes, shoes and more shoes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Marc,
Yes, shoes, shoes and more shoes. However, I'm never going to qualify as a real "shooman," because I am never going to own 30+ pairs of C&J Handmades or their equivalent as you once prescribed over on the Andy Forum (I think). Much though I'd like to own 30 pairs of EGs, it would be very imprudent of me to provoke a divorce in the waning season of my life.
Jan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads