• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's your favorite way to tie a scarf?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,959
Reaction score
2
What's your favorite way to tie a scarf? I was curious and Googled it, but kept getting pages for women.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,073
I would show you if you were here, but I can't possibly explain.
 

saint

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
130
one of two ways: either the Ascot way; or double it over, and pass the ends through the "u" formed when you doubled the ends.
 

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,114
Reaction score
1
cross over, for me is best. But sometimes I set one part of the scarf, straight down, then do a sideways cross over, with what's left. Looks a little jazzier, under certain outerwear.
 

Newton

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
I developed my own technique, which attracts positive comments, which is similar to doing a half-knot tie.

*Edit* I just ran a search on how to tie an Ascot and it's exactly the same as my method! I am lonely in my dress interest so am left to my own devices.
 

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
18,760
Reaction score
350


Try it.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Most of the time I don't need to tie the scarf as it's either not that cold or I'm not walking that far. I kind of like the nonchalence of leaving it undone. Call me shallow.

If it's particularly cold or I'm walking somewhere far away, I will double up the scarf and thread the loose ends through the U.

This is the so-called Hoxton knot by the less charitable commentators due to its frequency amongst the young uber-trendy dotcom boom urbanites that populated that area of London in vast numbers a few years back. Despite that association, I still like the look. And it's quite warm.
 

Newton

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Most of the time I don't need to tie the scarf as it's either not that cold or I'm not walking that far. I kind of like the nonchalence of leaving it undone. Call me shallow.

If it's particularly cold or I'm walking somewhere far away, I will double up the scarf and thread the loose ends through the U.

This is the so-called Hoxton knot by the less charitable commentators due to its frequency amongst the young uber-trendy dotcom boom urbanites that populated that area of London in vast numbers a few years back. Despite that association, I still like the look. And it's quite warm.


Doesn't look right with football scarves, as I have noticed some in Melbourne trying lately.
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,078
Reaction score
1,174
Originally Posted by saint
one of two ways: either the Ascot way; or double it over, and pass the ends through the "u" formed when you doubled the ends.

I also like the "pass the ends through the U" method





The photos are from The Satorialist during Feb 2006. During that month, he has alot of pictures that included scarves.

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...t_archive.html
 

Earthmover

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
586
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mr monty
I also like the "pass the ends through the U" method


Is it just me, or does anyone else find that their scarf gets too short when this is done? Mine are about 60"; is that too short?

I did a FIH one time. It actually isn't too bad. My usual go-to is to wrap around my neck and flip 1/2 of it back so there's fringe on back and front. I guess it's not really a "tie"
 

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,959
Reaction score
2
Come on, you can do it. Just a few more till your 5,000 post count.
 

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that their scarf gets too short when this is done? Mine are about 60"; is that too short?

I did a FIH one time. It actually isn't too bad. My usual go-to is to wrap around my neck and flip 1/2 of it back so there's fringe on back and front. I guess it's not really a "tie"


Isadora Duncan often wore scarves which trailed behind her, and this caused her death in a freak accident in Nice, France. She was killed at the age of 49 when her scarf caught in the open-spoked wheel of her friend BenoÃ
t Falchetto's Amilcar automobile, in which she was a passenger. As the driver sped off, the long cloth wrapped around the vehicle's axle. Duncan was yanked violently from the car and dragged for several yards before the driver realized what had happened. She died almost instantly from a broken neck. The tragedy gave rise to Gertrude Stein's mordant remark that "affectations can be dangerous."
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,078
Reaction score
1,174
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that their scarf gets too short when this is done? Mine are about 60"; is that too short?

I did a FIH one time. It actually isn't too bad. My usual go-to is to wrap around my neck and flip 1/2 of it back so there's fringe on back and front. I guess it's not really a "tie"


Most of my scarves are in the 72"-78" range.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,256
Messages
9,231,411
Members
193,777
Latest member
TimoLassiter
Top