what's your favorite vacation spot in the world?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by smartcashmere, May 9, 2009.

1. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

^^^ Capri is also very congested with tourists. As I recall. Anacapri isn't as bad. Villa San Michele is one of my favorite places in the island.

2. kappy

kappy Active Member

Samoa [​IMG] I was there ~2004 maybe, they had just got a working cell phone network. Very untouched and relaxing.

3. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

^^^ Capri is also very congested with tourists. As I recall. Anacapri isn't as bad. Villa San Michele is one of my favorite places in the island.

Yes Capri is pretty bad...I took the ferry from Naples once during the summer and it was horrible. The reason I like the Caesar Augustus Hotel is that it is in Anacapri which does not get bombarded with tourists.

4. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

^^ That looks idyllic and a perfect place to rusticate. As far as islands go, my next trip would be the Andaman islands. I almost made it to the Maldives when I visited south India.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

^^ That looks idyllic and a perfect place to rusticate. As far as islands go, my next trip would be the Andaman islands. I almost made it to the Maldives when I visited south India.

North Sentinel Island is the most unspoilt island in the area. Like nothing else in the world...

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've been to some great islands in asia, including to the maldives maybe a dozen times (for work). I don't know if I would go on vacation again to a place so deserted. I'd say its a tossup between cartegena in colombia, and rome- for very differnt reasons. either to be someplace where I can sit on the beach all day and hang out in warm places at night. or to be in an urban, historical setting with good food.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Santa Cruz.
    Pretty much the only cruise I would take. I love Capri, though it isn't my favorite spot in the world. People like to complain, but there is no more idyllic place to spend a couple of days than the Capri Palace. I suppose the Dordogne in France is my favorite spot for a relaxing vacation, especially because the food is so good. Mostly, I like to visit cities more than to relax, luxuriate or rusticate.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I suppopse as a pure "vacation" spot it would be Bernardus (a/k/a "Rancho Relaxo") in Carmel Valley. But I don't really take vacations much, and after even two days at Bernardus I am ready to bug out.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Italy, whether the north or south.

And I agree with Iammatt, I prefer exploring cities to doing nothing on the beach.

10. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I've been to some great islands in asia, including to the maldives maybe a dozen times (for work). I don't know if I would go on vacation again to a place so deserted. I'd say its a tossup between cartegena in colombia, and rome- for very differnt reasons. either to be someplace where I can sit on the beach all day and hang out in warm places at night. or to be in an urban, historical setting with good food.
    I visited an island off the Celebes and Sibuyan seas in Southeast Asia and while the island was pristine with beautiful sunsets and enjoyed the stars at night, it got boring after a week. I'll have to agree with you when spending a great deal of time in a deserted island. Regarding Maldives, I read somewhere that the islands are sinking:-(

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Paris

12. chas

chas Senior member

Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

13. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Rapallo, so that I don't run into one of you.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I like Barbados and Portugal.

15. theguy

theguy Senior member

Couple years ago I was all over Italy for about a month. My favorite spot was this hotel right on
    Lido Beach.(About a 20 minute ferry ride to Venice) If I become a big timer I will buy a place there.