1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite U.S. city?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Jun 9, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Depends, some cities recently you can magically be transported to the 3rd world on a dime.
    San Diego perhaps? Or Detroit though perhaps New Orleans is another contender especially after the hurricane. I don't know why Fresno is on that list.

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

San Diego perhaps? Or Detroit though perhaps New Orleans is another contender.
    Well 60+% in LA don't speak English. In Arcadia even the Indian people I know thinks it is too much like India. San Diego, despite its proximity to Mexico, is still quite nice. I'm a big fan of smaller towns. I like some of the gold mining towns around Sacramento.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think some of the Eastern seaboard places can be charming in a scenic calendar/Thomas Kinkade kind of way.

4. tiecollector

I think some of the Eastern seaboard places can be charming in a scenic calendar/Thomas Kinkade kind of way.

Yes, it looks fascinating. I plan to take a trip out there this summer. I chose San Diego but I totally forgot about how much I liked Seattle. The Pacific Northwest is very mystical to me.

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

6. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I really like Chicago, Seattle, Boston, Vegas and parts of LA, but for me, there's NYC above all. No comparison. A totally unique city. It has everything. If I had a spare million, I'd move in an instant.

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

OK- what thug-wannabe voted for Detroit?

mink?- ok do tell...

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

NYC, Boston wasn't listed but is second.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Depends, some cities recently you can magically be transported to the 3rd world on a dime.
    Detroit has that effect.

10. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Detroit has that effect.

Miami

11. Soph

Soph Senior member

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Once you've been to NYC, you realize there is no other city on Earth that has as much going on.

Miami is nice, but not much to do besides beaching it and shopping malls of one type or another. Very boring in my opinion.

Miracle Mile was termed "Sad Mile" by the gf.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Miami

What do you like to do in MIA? I love the palm trees look and the beach, but beyond that?

And the tropical gardens are really cute (but semi small).

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

What do you like to do in MIA? I love the palm trees look and the beach, but beyond that?

And the tropical gardens are really cute (but semi small).

No I was refering to those cities in which could go from first world to third world very quickly. I do not like Miami at all theres nothing there I find interesting.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

If I didn't like Seattle so much, I probably wouldn't still be here.

16. tiecollector

I think Key West was very cool and I went when there weren't many tourists. It was a trip to think that it is in America.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Given the fact that I have lived in only three of the cities listed and have visited only about 15, it was tough for me to make a choice. I voted for where I live because that's where my home is.

In very slightly different circumstances, I might well prefer a rural or semi-rural lifestyle.

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

I have been to a reasonable chunk of those cities, and still consider NY to be my favorite among them.

19. visionology

visionology Senior member

Hmmmm I have never been past the Mississippi River so I'll have to just go by the ones I've been to.

I'd probably say Savannah, GA.

What I like:
    - Historic city with lots of great architecture and real charm
    - Very business oriented
    - Very large college crowd so the town is hip and artsy
    - Great parks
    - Great restaurants and shops, city is committed to revitilization
    - Ghetto is slowly being pushed further away so it's not as dangerous as it used to
    - Second largest St. Patty's day celebration in the country, amazing
    - All the urban crap like malls is by law forced away from town
    - Airport is small, easy to access
    - Proximity to Florida without being in Florida
    - Tybee Island is a great beach town
    - Fairly cheap housing costs (away from downtown)
    - Lot of the city is accessible in walking distance
    - The moss tree lined roads are awesome

Dislikes:
    - Weather in the summer is just stupidly hot and humid
    - The "Palmetto Bugs (aka roaches)" are everywhere and are my most hated creature
    - The town is a bit hard to access downtown due to driving around the parks and the many tourists in horse drawn carriages
    - If you live out in the islands you understand when I say gnats.
    - Although the ghetto has been pushed away there are still some rough spots very close to town and walking at night is still dangerous.
    - Outside of Savannah there isn't much else (Altanta 4hrs, Charleston 2hrs)
    - While the Ocean is warm at Tybee it is murky due to the silt and not ocean blue like South Florida
    - Some job markets may be tight there
    - Possible hurricane zone and evacuation is a nightmare (8hrs in traffic last time)

New York I enjoy sometimes but mostly I just find it overwhelming. I usually go to the city to catch a show, go to a club or bar, etc but everytime I leave I feel relieved I live in CT. I enjoy the super late nights there that just aren't found anywhere else in the US, however I find everything overpriced. I don't find walking around NYC in the summer fun as the temperatures skyrocket underneath the buildings. Also what the hell is up with the last train at 1:55?

I can tell you my worst city, Hartford, CT. It's sad too, there are some great places and restaurants mixed in there but the city is just a cesspool of crime and poverty. For such a small city it has the murder and crime rate of a metropolis.

20. cam

cam Member

New York. Most cities just suck in this country. LA is a close second solely because I love taco trucks.