• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Whats your favorite tie knot?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I just finished watching Sartorial Talks and he demonstrates tie knots I can say Ive been enlightened. I didn't realize that I've been doing the 4 in hand knot all of my life lol. Then he demonstrates the Old Bertie and I'm blown away by the simplicity and coolness of this knot. What is your favorite tie knot.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s between the four in hand and half Windsor depending on the collar spread and more importantly the thickness of the tie.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much tie a four in hand all the time. Occasionally if I want to shorten a tie a bit or create a slightly bigger knit I'll do a Prince Albert (dbl 4 in hand).

TexasToast

Reaction score
Pretty much tie a four in hand all the time. Occasionally if I want to shorten a tie a bit or create a slightly bigger knit I'll do a Prince Albert (dbl 4 in hand).
Wow a double 4 in hand that must be an amazing knot.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half-windsor unless I'm wearing knit/grenadine.

Panama

Reaction score
What's a tie? Is this a vintage thing?

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Wow a double 4 in hand that must be an amazing knot.
A PA is the 4IH with two passes over the vertical tie blade on your way to the up and over before it is inserted and pulled down to form knot. This uses up tie length so the back blade is not longer than the front when tie is the middle of belt proper length.
I'm Windsor fan. I like fuller knot and symmetry. 4IH is hard to keep from running off to the side and loosening as you wear it.

bicycleradical

Reaction score
Four in Hand is my go-to however if I have a particularly spread collar, I'll do a half-Windsor or full Windsor.

Empyrean4

Reaction score
If the tie I’m wearing is longer and/or thinner then I’m using a Half Windsor, if it’s thicker and/or shorter then I’m using either a four in hand or old Bertie.

rjc149

Reaction score
If we're talking about standard silk ties (2-3 inch width) worn with suits, then a half Windsor is slightly more formal than a four-in-hand, and it's the one I usually wear with professional business attire. I like four-in-hands for my point-collar shirts and for wear in the summer, especially when loosened for that "I'm a corporate drone going to happy hour" look. Assuming of course that I'm wearing a necktie in the summer these days.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only wear the four in hand.

If you find that ties are too long, you can try the double four in hand.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.