• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite summer fabric?

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cast my vote for linen.

It’s great as an all around fabric (Same fabric, different articles of clothing).

porscheguy

Reaction score
Linen. Just discovered it this year. In 6 weeks I’ve gone from zero linen clothing to 3 shirts from SuSu, one from proper cloth and some linen shorts from jcrew that should arrive tomorrow.

rjkabk

Reaction score
Summer fabric for what? A suit? Then a high twist wool like fresco. While I wouldn't personally choose cotton, it should be on the list. For casual clothes a I prefer linen-cotton blends.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seersucker and fresco are fabric weaves, while linen and silk are yarns, both can be woven into seersucker or fresco fabrics, and neither is limited to warm weather. Linen flannel and silk twill as an example are versatile enough for all-season wear.

As for summer weaves, besides the aforementioned, lightweight poplin (shirts, pants, jackets), voile (shirts), gauze (shirts, jackets), hopsack (jackets, pants), and mesh (woven or knit) are all breathable and comfortable options.

Last edited:

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If we're going to be technical, my understanding is that Fresco is not a weave, but a brand of tropical wool. Much like Kleenex is a brand of tissue paper and Coca Cola is a brand of soda.

Fresco refers to fabrics with an open weave, woven from twisted yarns.

I'd rather compare apple to apple, fabric to fabric, yarn to yarn. That's what I was trying to say, not being technical.

Last edited:

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think you're describing tropical wool. Fresco is a brand owned by Minnis/ HFW.

This is written on the Gladson's page: "Fresco is designed with a high twist worsted yarn and porous plain weave". Or as I said it refers to fabrics with an open weave, woven from twisted yarns.

Last edited:

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
None of them. I dress exactly the same in summer as in winter. Just less or more from everything.
We are the opposite and I envy you, especially in the next 3 months. Usually I can find enough warm clothes from spring summer collection to wear throughout the year.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linen for casual wear including pants, shirts, shorts, and socks. High twist wool in unlined jackets for CM works for me well here in DC. Cotton is too heavy and hot for me in CM. Linen blends can be okay but the wool carries the day.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is written on the Gladson's page: "Fresco is designed with a high twist worsted yarn and porous plain weave". Or as I said it refers to fabrics with an open weave, woven from twisted yarns.

Did you notice that they capitalize the word Fresco on thier page? That's because it's a branded name for tropical wool. Tropical wool is an open-weave material made with yarns that have been given an extra twist. The extra twist gives the yarn a bit more strength and stiffness, which is what allows the weaver to make that open weave. It's called tropical wool because it's breathable in hot environments.

Online, the term has become synonymous with tropical wool. I don't think this is technically correct, but it's also how language works. I've talked with silk printers who think of the word foulard as referring to extra heavyweight silk. Others use it to refer to the small geometric prints characteristic of Macclesfield silks.

Fresco is a brand of tropical wool, much like how Kleenex is a brand of tissue paper. Or Coca Cola is a brand of soda. It's not really a weave, even though it's sometimes colloquially used in this manner.

Put it another way: there are other companies that offer tropical wool, such as Fox Brothers (Fox Air), Smiths (Finmeresco), and Holland & Sherry (Crispaire). You wouldn't say "please give me a length of Fox Air Fresco" or "please give me a length of Crispaire Fresco." Fresco is something that's sold under the Minnis name, just like how Finmeresco is sold through Smiths.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Did you notice that they capitalize the word Fresco on thier page? That's because it's a branded name for tropical wool. Tropical wool is an open-weave material made with yarns that have been given an extra twist. The extra twist gives the yarn a bit more strength and stiffness, which is what allows the weaver to make that open weave. It's called tropical wool because it's breathable in hot environments.

Online, the term has become synonymous with tropical wool. I don't think this is technically correct, but it's also how language works. I've talked with silk printers who think of the word foulard as referring to extra heavyweight silk. Others use it to refer to the small geometric prints characteristic of Macclesfield silks.

Fresco is a brand of tropical wool, much like how Kleenex is a brand of tissue paper. Or Coca Cola is a brand of soda. It's not really a weave, even though it's sometimes colloquially used in this manner.

Put it another way: there are other companies that offer tropical wool, such as Fox Brothers (Fox Air), Smiths (Finmeresco), and Holland & Sherry (Crispaire). You wouldn't say "please give me a length of Fox Air Fresco" or "please give me a length of Crispaire Fresco." Fresco is something that's sold under the Minnis name, just like how Finmeresco is sold through Smiths.

I'm aware of Fresco as a patented term like Velcro. But it's under the context of similarity between seersucker and Fresco I mentioned they are weaves to point out they can't be compared with yarns. Seersucker and Fresco can be made of either linen or silk. Since this is not a thread about Fresco nor do I have an opinion about it I'll refrain from making further comment on this subject. ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads