• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's your favorite summer fabric?

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.

robxznyc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you notice that they capitalize the word Fresco on thier page? That's because it's a branded name for tropical wool. Tropical wool is an open-weave material made with yarns that have been given an extra twist. The extra twist gives the yarn a bit more strength and stiffness, which is what allows the weaver to make that open weave. It's called tropical wool because it's breathable in hot environments.

Online, the term has become synonymous with tropical wool. I don't think this is technically correct, but it's also how language works. I've talked with silk printers who think of the word foulard as referring to extra heavyweight silk. Others use it to refer to the small geometric prints characteristic of Macclesfield silks.

Fresco is a brand of tropical wool, much like how Kleenex is a brand of tissue paper. Or Coca Cola is a brand of soda. It's not really a weave, even though it's sometimes colloquially used in this manner.

Put it another way: there are other companies that offer tropical wool, such as Fox Brothers (Fox Air), Smiths (Finmeresco), and Holland & Sherry (Crispaire). You wouldn't say "please give me a length of Fox Air Fresco" or "please give me a length of Crispaire Fresco." Fresco is something that's sold under the Minnis name, just like how Finmeresco is sold through Smiths.
I'm aware of Fresco as a patented term like Velcro. But it's under the context of similarity between seersucker and Fresco I mentioned they are weaves to point out they can't be compared with yarns. Seersucker and Fresco can be made of either linen or silk. Since this is not a thread about Fresco nor do I have an opinion about it I'll refrain from making further comment on this subject. 🙏

Last edited:

Res

Reaction score
Fresco for suits and Silk for shirts.

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are the opposite and I envy you, especially in the next 3 months. Usually I can find enough warm clothes from spring summer collection to wear throughout the year.
Yes it's a bit easy to dress up now in the summer time, usually I wear long sleeve dress shirts, I place the sleeves above my knukcles plus 3 or 4 buttons open a skinny type of jeans, sometimes more edgy or biker inspired / distressed, sometimes just a simple black or charcoal, a belt, sunglasses, cold mineral water in my hand, and chelsea boots or western boots. I think down it's always the same for me, no matter if it's summer or winter, I wear boots and skinny jeans, as in the winter it's never too cold and in the summer time it's never too hot for me. But maybe this is just my body, I never feel too hot and cold on my legs.
Then when it's winter, I grab a white athlete below the long sleeve shirt, a thick wool trench coat, and a scarf. I don't like cardigans, vests and sweaters, so the only solution for me to wear a thick cotton athlete under the shirt. But I always purchase anything through the year, if I see something stylish, then no matter if it's summer or winter. In the summer I always search the darkside or the road, or some shadows.. But I also thought about that I should purchase a horse to my western boots, haha. Not to mention, buying a horse and riding it instead of a car is super cool and stylish at these days.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I love the idea of linen but I’ve always found the reality disappointing, probably because I’m carrying more weight than I’d like and linen can be pretty unforgiving. It’s terrible for shirting if you have some unsightly man boobs going on, but I have high hopes for a Boglioli chestnut blazer that’s winging its way towards me as we speak. Maybe I’ll break my streak and find it flattering.

For odd summer jackets I usually opt for hopsack. As the weather improves I’m leaning heavily on an unstructured blazer that’s virtually transparent when you hold it up against the sun. Love it.

My favourite summer weave of all, though, is Loro Piana’s Trilogy: 50% cotton, 40% wool, 10% silk. I have it in a pair of houndstooth Turnbull & Asser trousers that have quickly become my favourite. The only problem is that I live in a dirty and dusty developing country and these pants would prove almost impossible to replace, so when I wear them I feel like I have to socially distance from the physical world.

coldbrew

Reaction score
Loro Piana Wool silk linen, you cannot go wrong with it.

Also had a silk linen jacket made from Anglo Italian Tessuti, 48% silk, 52% linen, it's also very nice and has an unique slubby texture. Very happy with it.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana Wool silk linen, you cannot go wrong with it.

Also had a silk linen jacket made from Anglo Italian Tessuti, 48% silk, 52% linen, it's also very nice and has an unique slubby texture. Very happy with it.
I just ordered my second pair of Rota pants in that LP fabric. Nice stuff.

Alao picked up two of the long sleeve Japanese linen shirts from Drake’s as well as one of their new short sleeve linen shirts. Linen rocks for casual summer wear.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.