• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite shirt?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand
Color
Collar
Cuff
FABRIC TYPE!

kcgreg

Reaction score
Brand: Robert Talbott & Gerge Kristov
Colour: French Blue & Multi-striped in blue and black and pink
Collar: Button-down collars always
Cuff: French always
Fabric: Egyptian 2-3 ply 100% cotton for its breathability & Linen for summer.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I ordered several MTM shirts from the Sulka store at 2 Rue de Castiglione in the 1st Arrondissement. My very favorite of the lot was one of the 120s end-on-ends. I still wear it. The cotton is absolutely the silkiest in my wardrobe. The body is a medium blue with subtle but evident jonquil and white combination stripes. The 2-1/4" medium spread collar and the fold-over french cuffs are of the same blue (without the stripes) as the body. With the plain blue collar and cuffs against the striped body, I can even wear the shirt with some suits when I am feeling bold and fashion forward. It works well with more than odd jackets.

Sadly, the store is now closed and gone as is the Sulka name. The ghost lingers in closets all around the globe. I preferred the Paris store to all the other Sulka locations over the years. It was a short walk across the street from the Tuileries. Inside, the simple elegance of the Biedermeier-type architecture was a wonderful backdrop for not only the shirts, but the other wonderful items that only a long-since-misfit haberdasher from the past would offer. As they say: "That was then. This is now". I suppose that Mr. Kabbaz can replicate the shirt in a superior manner. I wonder what location can offer a similar atmosphere?

So many elements comprise our favorite garments.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
I wonder what location can offer a similar atmosphere?
imgp08869ck.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
imgp08869ck.jpg

One of the beauties of SF is the genie-like alacrity with which a member's musings can be given life by other members!

It's quite lovely. However, I don't recognize the establishment. Please, what seller is this?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White, in a high count broadcloth, with double cuffs and a rather high spread collar.

That is Charvet in Paris.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee

That is Charvet in Paris.

Thank you. We've never stayed across the way in the Ritz. It's been since, at least, 1988 that I crossed the threshhold in the photo. I didn't remember Charvet as having a "corner" location in the Place.

Memory is a funny thing. When I saw the dressing gown in the photo, I said: Charvet. Then a kernel of uncertainty sprouted and helped to change my mind.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet
Blue
Extra High Stand(front-rear), 3.5 in. Points, Zero Tie space
Double Cuffs
Royal Oxford

Note: Bergdorf Goodman will be hosting a Charvet trunk show (3-24, 3-25) at which time the MTM up-charge will be waived (unprecedented). Mr Colban, the owner of Charvet, will be in attendance. He may even measure you.
......88.jpg

Pink22m

Reaction score
Robert Talbott Estate (custom)
Pink 1 3/8" herringbone
Cutaway
French
Sea Island

dscn62539uj.jpg

dscn63362ox.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcgreg
Brand: Robert Talbott & Gerge Kristov
Colour: French Blue & Multi-striped in blue and black and pink
Collar: Button-down collars always
Cuff: French always
Fabric: Egyptian 2-3 ply 100% cotton for its breathability & Linen for summer.

Button down collars with french cuffs?
wow.gif

kcgreg

Reaction score
It has always been a personal preference - I know it goes against the grain but I hate the other collar styles with ties. Any recommendations?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUL0503%20product.jpg

Brand : UDESHI
Color : White and light blue stripes
Collar : Cutaway
Cuff : Cocktail (aka James Bond)
Fabric type : Twill
SUL0503%20fabric.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcgreg
It has always been a personal preference - I know it goes against the grain but I hate the other collar styles with ties. Any recommendations?

Personal preference should override any and all "rules". If that is what you like, stick with it. Button down collar shirts are essentially casual shirts (first made by Brooks for polo players) although the American businessman, unfortunately, has made the button down a business wardrobe staple. There are other collars similar in shape to the button down and if you like the feel of the collar being buttoned, there are also collars where the buttons are hidden, which I think is somewhat more elegant than the button down.

kcgreg

Reaction score
A few shirts that I have from Janine Georgenti are hidden button downs and yes they are more elegant in looks. I love them!

I really enjoy the SF all the way here from New Zealand. What a beautiful place to be!!!!

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kcgreg,

Is there any chance you could post a picture of one of these shirts? I've never seen such a thing and am very curious. I assume you have to have these MTM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads