• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Quote?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a good one and is style related. "There is nothing more frightful than imagination without taste." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Another one is Huntsman's signature, and I'm quoting him. "Courtesy is every man's own affair, but decency is a debt to life."

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was a long thread on this before.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are some from my MySpace page:

"We have not the need to be told something new, but to be reminded."
- Samuel Johnson

"Events that are too large to be percieved in immediate history register in the unconcious in the collective form of myth."
- William Irwin Thompson

"No theory is good unless it permits, not rest, but the greatest work. No theory is good except on condition that one use it to go on beyond."
- Andre Gide

"Man without God is a beast, and never more beastly than when he is most intelligent about his beastliness."
- Whittaker Chambers

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."
- Niels Bohr

"The older I get, the more I admire and crave competence, just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology."
- H.L. Mencken

I also think Jonathan Swift was one of the most quotable men of all time:

"How is it possible to expect that mankind will take advice when they will not so much as take warning."

"Although the Devil be the father of lies, he seems, like other great inventors, to have lost much of his reputation by the continual improvements that have been made upon him."

"Two women seldom grow intimate but at the expense of a third person."

"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath."

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i posted this in another thread:

"The only thing that burns in hell is the part of you that
won't let go of your life: your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away, but they're not punishing you, they're freeing your soul. If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels freeing you from the earth." - Meister Eckhart

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Strive to return what is divine in yourselves to what is divine in the All." - dying words of Plotinus

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"My lords, you are impatient for the sacrifice-the blood which you seek is not congealed by the artificial terrors which surround your victim; it circulates warmly and unruffled, through the channels which God created for noble purposes. but which you are bent to destroy. for purposes so grievous. that they cry to heaven. Be yet patient! I have but a few words more to say. I am going to my cold and silent grave: my lamp of life is nearly e4inguished: my race is run: the grave opens to receive me, and I sink into its bosom! I have but one request to ask at my departure from this world--it is the charity of its silence! Let no man write my epitaph: for as no man who knows my motives dare now vindicate them. let not prejudice or ignorance asperse them. Let them and me repose in obscurity and peace, and my tomb remain uninscribed, until other times, and other men, can do justice to my character; when my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written. I have done."---Robert Emmet's final words

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, people in days of yore sure were eloquent in the face of imminent death. My last words will probably be something like "MOootTTHheerRFffuUCCcKkeERR!!1!1"

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
"Live every day as if you are living it for the second time; and had acted as wrongly the first time, as you are about to act now." -Viktor Frankl

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doublebucklemonk
"Live every day as if you are living it for the second time; and had acted as wrongly the first time, as you are about to act now." -Viktor Frankl

Centipedeicon.gif

Aperipan

Reaction score
my favorite quote: "Michael, we're bigger than U.S. Steel"

X-It

Reaction score
"According to a recent survey, men say the first thing they notice about a woman is her eyes. Women say the first thing they notice about men is that they're a bunch of liars." ~ Anonymous

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - Mencken

Supertarheel

Reaction score
Dost thou love life, then do not squander time,
for that's the stuff life is made of.
-Benjamin Franklin

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"How we spend our days is, or course, how we spend our lives"

Also, everything Douglas Adams (Hitchiiker's Guide) ever said:

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. "

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads