1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite quote of all time and why?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Coho, Jun 20, 2008.

1. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I've always fancied: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- who will watch the watchers?

2. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

"I've made a huge mistake."

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.

- Jawaharlal Nehru

Every man dies, not every man really lives.

- William Wallace

4. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

"Bite Me"

New favorite I just saw on Jeopardy:

"Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein.”
    Joe Theisman.

5. navysuede

navysuede Senior member

The 7 P's of business
    Prior Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance

6. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

"The vainglory which consisteth in the feigning or supposing of abilities in ourselves, which we know are not, is most incident to young men, and nourished by the histories or fictions of gallant persons; and is corrected oftentimes by age and employment."
    -Thomas Hobbes

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

assimov

8. X-It

X-It Senior member

I'll be interested in some Latin quotes I've never heard of before also.

- Accipere quam facere praestat iniuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice than to do an injustice.

2. Asinus asinum fricat - The ass rubs the ass. (Conceited people flatter each other about qualities they do not possess)

9. X-It

X-It Senior member

This is my favorite quote of all time!

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao-Tse

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."

11. Coho

Coho Senior member

Hmm...I have been accused of being many things incongruous and uncomplimentary but never a stalker.[​IMG]

- Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice than to do an injustice.

2. Asinus asinum fricat - The ass rubs the ass. (Conceited people flatter each other about qualities they do not possess)

12. Coho

Coho Senior member

My favorite of all time is probably: Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death. ~Arthur Schopenhauer I first saw it engraved on a wooden frame of my grandfather's chessboard. Still remember it to this day.

13. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

Im a soul tied to a dying donkey : Yeats or keats, always get these mixed up

there's no complaint without blame :Nietzsche

im probably paraphrasingthese as I cant remember the exact phrases.

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

My favorite of all time is probably:

Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death.

~Arthur Schopenhauer

I first saw it engraved on a wooden frame of my grandfather's chessboard. Still remember it to this day.

That is one tubular chessboard.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

"I can't keep myself from saying her name. Maybe she'll be frightened by my voice and leave the room, never to return. I'd feel terrible if that happened. No - not terrible, that's not what I mean. Devastated is more like it. If she never came back everything would be lost to me forever. All meaning, all direction. Everything. I know this, but I go ahead and risk it anyway, and call her name. Of their own accord, almost automatically, my tongue and lips form her name, over and over."

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

if you don't know where you're headed, any road will take you there

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.

- Jawaharlal Nehru

- William Wallace

"I don't play the hand I wish I had, I play the hand I get"

lots more, but these are it for now

17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Youth and skill are overcome by age and treachery.

It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.

The first one is what I tell my son when he gets smart and the other is what I mumble to myself some days.

18. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

That is one tubular chessboard.

+1. No kidding. Kinda makes you feel guilty your blowing an hour or two on a frivolous game. At least it was chess and not inscribed on the side of the Rockem Sockem Robots ring.

19. after_forever

after_forever New Member

Verum est? Lol.

20. Coho

Coho Senior member

Well, my gramp passed away long ago. I don't have the patience for old school chess though. I play with a timer, 2-5 minutes usually with friends and family.

+1. No kidding. Kinda makes you feel guilty your blowing an hour or two on a frivolous game. At least it was chess and not inscribed on the side of the Rockem Sockem Robots ring.