• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite foul weather shoe?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though the day may be 80 degrees and sunny here, I'm contemplating what to buy for winter wear. Since I live in Southern California, "winter wear" of course means "things to wear in moderately cool and rainy weather" to many of you. Specifically, since I'm planning to get some heavier-weight suits from WW Chan, I'm trying to figure out whether to get some new shoes. On really rainy days I historically relied on an older pair of J&Ms with sole protectors, however those have been laid to rest due to damage to the uppers.

I had been thinking of getting a pair of commando-soled Aldens, but lately I have been looking at some of the dainite-soled C&J chukkas and chelsea boots (Chepstows and Chelsea 5s). Are the dainite C&Js too clunky and/or casual to wear with suits in a business setting?

TIA

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think dainite-soled shoes should be too clunky for business wear, as long as the upper isn't too clunky. Edward Green and Ralph Lauren, as well as others I'm sure, make dainite-soled shoes that are quite elegant. Someone recently posted a picture of a stunning EG Yardley monkstrap that just happened to have a dainite sole -- you'd never have guessed without flipping it over.
Personally, I have two pairs of AE's and two pairs of Alden shoes that I stick to for rainy days. They're all perfectly nice shoes -- I just don't want to risk getting caught in the rain with shoes that have more delicate leather and/or were more expensive.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go for the Aldens with Commando sole, I would stay away from shell cordovan leather. Shell cordovan seems more vulnerable to wet than calfskin in my experience.

A good pair of Alden calfskin shoes with commando soles seems like a good option to me for wearing with a suit.

For really nasty weather, I love my C&J veldtshoen constructed "Snowdown" boots. A bit clunky to wear with a suit, however.

Kai

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Kai, I certainly have calfskin in mind. The only pair of shell cordovans I have ever owned was doused several times, and they never seemed to come back to original shape. One of the shoes that piqued my interest in dainite soles was the RL chukka boot (rebranded C&J Chepstow, I think) on Bluefly, which unfortunately has a cordovan upper. A pity since I like the look.

marc37

Reaction score
l usually wear an R.M.Williams [good year welted leather sole] shoe or boot. l don't think commando shoes or rubber soles go well with suits: no elegance,- Too yobbo. R.M's are cheap ($340 aust) shoes ideal for foul weather.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retro,
FYI, there were recently a ton of RL English-made (C&J) shoes on EBay, including many pairs of boots with and w/o dainite soles. Lots of bidders.

brescd01

Reaction score
The country shoes from Trickers and Alfred Sargent are quite lovely, and the AS are quite a bargain.

ballines

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.  

Kai, I certainly have calfskin in mind.  The only pair of shell cordovans I have ever owned was doused several times, and they never seemed to come back to original shape.  One of the shoes that piqued my interest in dainite soles was the RL chukka boot (rebranded C&J Chepstow, I think) on Bluefly, which unfortunately has a cordovan upper.  A pity since I like the look.
FWIW, I really don't think those are cordovans even though it says it is in the description.

1) The pictures just don't look like cordovan leather
2) I can't find a C&J cordovan boot (C&J's website or Pediwear)

I do think they look very nice, and I actually just ordered a pair myself.  I like cordovan, so if it is, that's just upside.  If not, it's still a heck of a shoe for $245 shipped using the 15% off code (MISSEDYOU593).

By the way, the Whittakers (EG Cardiffs) are available again, but not in my size ($347 shipped).

EDIT: I take back the thing about cordovan. A Harris says it is, and he is clearly more knowledgeable than I am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads