• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite cologne?

yodawg

Reaction score
PM'd you both...

i'm not averse to wearing feminines it's just not my type of floral. i think it's lily of the valley as it says in the guide. should've bought the diorella but it was gone when i went back. here they are... apologies for the webcam pic at night but i iz teh layzee. dunno which is older but they smell the same. they seem to be 50 ml. the houndstooth at least i'm sure is. the taller one maybe but it's been kinda sprayed who knows how many times. i uncapped it since it might show that it's still kinda full but the one in the atomizer has some significant usage compared to the houndstooth splash bottle.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
rach2jlc (or Thomas) - I've grouped a few samples together... PdN NY & BdP since I heard they were similar, and then I also threw in Heritage as well as Shalimar EdT (WTH!)... I guess my process right now is to try and smell around the whole group of best rec's for a certain style or note and then pick "the best" one or few if they're really different takes on the same thing. any thoughts on the grouping there and preferences on them? Heritage is pleasant, simple, and relatively cheap and I seem to like it. NY got a solid review from Turin (for what it's worth), though I can't remember what it smells like. and BdP, well my first impressions were that it's just too stuffy and formal. Yet Heritage seems classy without being overbearing. Thoughts?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
You can get both from Amazon I believe. I got samplers of BdP, Himalaya, GIT, Imperial, and SMW all from the same seller on Amazon for like 20 bucks.

Has anyone tried Chanel's new Bleu de Chanel? Its quite clean and non-offensive.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
rach2jlc (or Thomas) - I've grouped a few samples together... PdN NY & BdP since I heard they were similar, and then I also threw in Heritage as well as Shalimar EdT (WTH!)...

I guess my process right now is to try and smell around the whole group of best rec's for a certain style or note and then pick "the best" one or few if they're really different takes on the same thing.

any thoughts on the grouping there and preferences on them? Heritage is pleasant, simple, and relatively cheap and I seem to like it. NY got a solid review from Turin (for what it's worth), though I can't remember what it smells like. and BdP, well my first impressions were that it's just too stuffy and formal. Yet Heritage seems classy without being overbearing.
Thoughts?

Many Guerlain scents share the same sort of harmony... the famous Guerlinade base. SO, you are probably picking up on that base. Likewise, there are some Creed `house notes` that often put their fragrances in obvious territory, especially on the dry down.

BdP and NY dont have any obvious house similarity, of course, except that they share some notes, some themes, and some powdery old man sort of funk.
lol8[1].gif

My favorite groupings are ones that make no sense whatsoever, like when my nose felt that the original Versace Versus Homme smelled like MPG Parfum d`habit. Everybody thought I was nuts, and maybe I was.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
rach2jlc (or Thomas) - I've grouped a few samples together... PdN NY & BdP since I heard they were similar, and then I also threw in Heritage as well as Shalimar EdT (WTH!)...

I guess my process right now is to try and smell around the whole group of best rec's for a certain style or note and then pick "the best" one or few if they're really different takes on the same thing.

any thoughts on the grouping there and preferences on them? Heritage is pleasant, simple, and relatively cheap and I seem to like it. NY got a solid review from Turin (for what it's worth), though I can't remember what it smells like. and BdP, well my first impressions were that it's just too stuffy and formal. Yet Heritage seems classy without being overbearing.
Thoughts?

hmmm, two chypres, a woody, and an oriental. You'll note similarities in the drydowns, most likely, but lots of scents dry down to a core group of long-chain molecules: musks, vanilla, amber, etc. It's what happens between spray and drydown that makes up the scent family.

I don't know whether you've seen the scent geneology charts that were done up a while back: not great (Michael Edwards database is - I'm told - far superior), but they grouped a lot of popular scents into the major classes (fougere, chypre, oriental, leather, etc.), and then put them on a spectrum within each group.

So, my thinking would be that you'd take a group of straight-up chypres (PdN New York, BdP, Chanel PM, Givenchy III) and cross-compare them to find the one that works for you. But then, there is the nature of recs: there aren't any truly universal scents out there (to my knowledge) - one person's rhapsody is another person's plonk.

Originally Posted by mkarim
Has anyone tried Chanel's new Bleu de Chanel? Its quite clean and non-offensive.

gaaaah, everything's clean and non-offensive these days. =( What happened to a little stinkyness, a little bit of late-night-on-the-metro vibe? It's like Kouros is the last major scent to come out that was unapologetically a cologne, rough edges and all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads