What's your favorite cocktail?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 14, 2004.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

j,

agreed, I would say that blue moon is a good enough example of the genre. I usually drink hogerten when it is available on tap, and typically I only drink that type of beer when it is pretty warm. I like ales more when the weather is cool.

2. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

If you are going to spend the money and drink a witbier, here's a couple that I think are better and in the same price range:

Hitachino Nest White - Actually a Japanese witbier as opposted to Belgian. Amazing beer with the more citrus and coriander spices.
    Allagash White (from Maine) available in 750 ml corked bottles for about 4.75.

Blanche de Chambly (Canadian made by Unibroue)

If you want to go German hefeweizen route (similar style) you can go wrong with these:

Ayinger
    Paulaner
    Hacker-Pschorr
    Franziskaner
    and the best hefe hands down is
    Weihenstephaner

To put Hoegaarden in perspective, beer geeks see hoegaarden as brooks brothers, ubiquitous, quality product, but missing something extra since it was dumbed down to make it more palatable and made with cheaper ingredients when acquired Interbrew (the equivalent of Busch in Europe).

Craft beer is alot like fine clothes. Slight irregularities and hte ability to push the envelope is encouraged.

For example, Allagash, one of the breweries listed above just came out with a beer called Curieux. It is a Belgian triple, aged in oak casks that were formerly used to age Jack Daniel's. At 11 % abv it is very interesting.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to take your list down to the biermarkt and see what I can come up with. I don't know how widespread Trader Joe's is but they are near me and often have interesting beers and wines. Anyone else go there?

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Blue Moon, though tasty, does have the unfortunate distinction of being a Coors product. No offense intended, it's downright tasty, no doubt, but dishonest marketing or whatever you may call it always turns me off. They also make a seasonal pumpkin brew under the Blue Moon Label.

5. j

What's dishonest about it? Personally, I can hold my moral ground against evil marketing practices in almost any arena of life, but when it comes to beer, I feel not a twinge of guilt ingesting the brew of the most evil MNC. Is it made by child labor or something?

6. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

Chivas Regal and soda - the night out staple

Knob Creek Manhattan, up - for a good slow sipper, and because there's a slew of other manhattan drinkers here

A snifter of anejo tequila, lime wedge on the side - preferably Corazon, El Tesoro Paradiso, or Patron

Beer - Red Stripe.  Or Labatt's Blue, because we drink it like water in upstate New York.

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Oh, I am being solidly hypocritical, in that I enjoy Budweiser without remorse.

I am bothered by the general trend of large companies spinning off purportedly independent-minded branches. For instance, McDonalds involvement with Chipotle, Wendy's in Baja Fresh, small media outlets being owned by large media conglomerates... J, don't tell me the forum has a shadowy parent company.

Blue Moon bothers me because Coors wants people to think it's not made by Coors. I think that's dishonest. It does not, however, affect the taste of the beer, and certainly makes it more widely available and cheaper than a microbrew.

Keep it up with the cocktails, guys, I hope to enjoy too many of these recipes soon.

8. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

This reply is to J. and petescolari.
    J. you want to pick up a pack of Fat Weasel Ale (7.1) from Trader Joes
    one of the best beers I've had for $ 5.49.

petescolari, I have been to Modern Brewer and bought my ingredients
    there.

9. j

Thanks, I'll check it out. Have you tried the dry hard cider they have? I enjoyed it for a change of pace.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Scotch, Single Malt, neat, or with a single cube. Rusty Nail (1 pt. Scotch, 1 pt. Drambuie) Chopin vodka, barely chilled, or other vodkas, bloody cold. Cognac, neat. White Russian. Old-Fashioned (with Crown Royal, yes, I know it's a sin) Beefeater's and Half-and-Half. Blackberry brandy sour, provided there is a hint of orange juice in it. Hmmm, there are others. But, I'm off to make me a White Russian now... [​IMG] Regards, Huntsman

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I apologize if I offend anyone, but a mixed drink with vodka is for chicks.  I'll admit that I occasionally (okay, often) have a sour-apple martini, but I don't feel good about it afterwards.  A gin martini with a twist is the classic cocktail that is appropriate under all circumstances.

12. Mike

Mike Senior member

I totally agree with you Ambulence Chaser except in one case- The Screwdriver. I enjoy these without worry of being a Nancy.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Oh, nobody told you? The StyleForum is a subsidary of The Gap.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

actually, not to be pugnatious, but have you tried a screwdriver with gin? not bad at all.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member