What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Soph, Nov 25, 2006.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Down here they'd call that a "birra michelada" as long as you added salt on the rim.

2. Houndstooth

Houndstooth Senior member

Having been a beer salesman for ten years, I feel I'm qualified to answerer this.
    IMO Schlitz is the best Bargain Brand Beer made. At 3.99 a 12 pack you'll be hard pressed to find a better one.
    I don't even sell this, but my aim is true.[​IMG]

3. dk7m

dk7m Senior member

4. whodini

Beer salesman?

Sir, you're a man amongst boys.

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

Check this chart out, it's pretty interesting:

http://www.unc.edu/~bowne/beer.htm

The list is kind of skewed. By comparing the price of beers purchased at different quantities/container type, the pricing is not consistent. Also, this seems to be a one time sampling from just one grocery store.. It is sort of interesting, but I wouldn't use the data to draw any hard conclusions aside what is best from just his one grocery store at that one point in time.

6. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Brian stole what I was going to say. You can't compare different quantities, since there is generally a discount on 24s compared to 12 and 6s. This guy gets a failing grade from me!

A good start to a guide to go for though if you just want to get right shitfaced, and lack tastebuds. He should have done his study in Ontario, where there really is only one retailer of beer (actually there is 2, but their prices are nearly identical since they are regulated).

7. Bandwagonesque

And speaking of beer... loaded up on holiday beer giftpacks and other assorted brews for this evening. Need to relieve some of that post-exam stress...
    [​IMG]

8. whodini

Damn...the only thing I recognize is the Paulaner

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The other day I saw a beer that I used to drink in my youngin days out of 40 oz. bottles - Olde English! We used to hang out outside the Chinese store until someone would be stupid enough to buy us a couple of 40s and then we'd go to the park and drink them. Those were the days.

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

The beers of my youth: Ballentine, Schlitz, Blatz. If you asked for something like a Michelob at the church picnic the priest would administer a GI shower and you would be kicked off the softball team. Possibly excommunicated. It depends.

Men drank what was put in front of them. At no time would a grown man pend more than 2 seconds selecting a beer from a cooler - you located your brand and bought it. If they were out, you bought something else.

I go to dark bars where I ask for "Miller" or - after a hard day "two" - and that is the end of it.

Having said that, I also like Abbott Ale in the nitro can...

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

This most definitely won't be cheap, but in the spirit of things:
    http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=341280&sid=FTP I sure would like some.

12. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Well-Known Member

In college we used to drink Weideman's (sp?), which we could get at the local grocery for something ridiculous like $3.99 per 12-pack.
    As my housemate Mikey once put it, "if you drink it really fast while it's really cold, it's not too bad."

Yeah! I must be a little older than you, because in my first few years out of law school we used to pay that price for a case of Wiedeman's or Braumeister. "Cheaper than beer!"

Not good, but what did you expect? We would also occasionally get Falstaff, aka Falsa.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yeah! I must be a little older than you, because in my first few years out of law school we used to pay that price for a case of Wiedeman's or Braumeister. "Cheaper than beer!"

Not good, but what did you expect? We would also occasionally get Falstaff, aka Falsa.

Or maybe I've inflated the price to what now strikes me as a plausible level. I actually first was thinking that we paid that for a case of Weideman's, but then I convinced myself: "Don't be ridiculous - it couldn't have been that cheap, we must have been getting 12-packs!"
    I stand corrected. Thank you, sir.

14. dan87

dan87 Active Member

Sleemans Honey Brown
    Sleemans Cream Ale.

15. Bandwagonesque

I have to say, that Suffolk Vintage Ale is one of the finest British ales I've ever had. Wow. It's a blend of fresh English ale, and 2 year oak aged ale. Also, the Okocim Porter (8%) exceeded my expectations, given that I've never had a Polish porter before. The Paulaner double bock (?) was horrible. The De Koninck stuff was sub-par for stuff from Belgium. Petrus Old Brown was disappointing too. Belgium has let me down lately... [​IMG]