What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Soph, Nov 25, 2006.

1. polishmike

polishmike Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of any Polish beer I've had and nothing comes to mind. Any particular brands?
    If you can find it, try Tyskie. You won't be disappointed, one of the best beers I ever had.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I've shotgunned many a beer back in my young and dumb days. I think most folks shotgun with cans, but I've always done it by putting a dime in the bottom of a bottle, and slapping it against your thigh to knock a hole in it. Capping said hole, and pouring a new beer in it. Tilt back, release thumb and let the good times roll. Probably have a few shards of glass in me from it. Usually did it with Kokanee... shitty beer. Harsh going down because it's so over-carbonated to mask it's shitty taste.
    I'm trying to imagine how this is done. It's like the ghetto version of opening champagne with a sword.

3. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I'm trying to imagine how this is done. It's like the ghetto version of opening champagne with a sword.

I couldnt believe it either until I tried it. Drop a dime in, spin it around rapidly for a minute. Supposedly this helps the dime "cut" the glass, making it easier to knock the hole in it. When you slam it against your thigh, if you do it wrong, the bottom breaks off. If you do it right, you get a perfect, cleanly cut hole - thumb sized, and perfect for capping off.

The irony is that my friends and I never drank cans. We said it was the redneck/American way to drink beer. I guess shotgunning with a bottle was the classier/Canadian way. [​IMG]

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

If you can find it, try Tyskie. You won't be disappointed, one of the best beers I ever had.
    If I'm ever in Chicago...

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

If you want the job done quick, everyone knows Steel Reserve is the best bang for the buck. At $1.19 per 20 oz you can hardly go wrong. Drink it ice cold, and fast.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Interesting--I looked up shotgun and beer and it appears you poke a hole in the can.

I thought it was a Texan custom to shoot something.

7. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

any malt liquor does the trick. but if you let any cheap alcoholic beverage into play, md20/20 aka maddog takes the cake. i'm not sure what it is, but i think there is some psychoactive drug in there (other than alcohol) that makes a muthafucker go crazy.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Interesting--I looked up shotgun and beer and it appears you poke a hole in the can.

I thought it was a Texan custom to shoot something.

You should really try it sometime, as it adds a whole new experience to the consumption of alcohol. And it's fun.

9. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

any malt liquor does the trick. but if you let any cheap alcoholic beverage into play, md20/20 aka maddog takes the cake. i'm not sure what it is, but i think there is some psychoactive drug in there (other than alcohol) that makes a muthafucker go crazy.

I drank half a bottle of the green one, I think it may have been kiwi and lime flavour, back when I was 14. I still occasionally have flashbacks like I was in 'Nam [​IMG]

10. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

Colt 45 is a malt liquor. I believe you can only buy them in 1/2 qt. bottles.
    We used to call them GIQ's. Big buzz but nasty hangover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_45_(malt_liquor)

I always thought that malt liquor was how American's referred to stronger stuff, like cheap whiskies, at least 30%ABV - this stuff looks simmilar to our poor drunk ruining super strength lagers, or poor rural drunk ruining barley wines.

The stuff I was talking about though was just cheap nasty weak-ish copyright infringing lager. I'll see if I can track down a can, if you'll excuse the turn of phrase.

11. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

You should really try it sometime, as it adds a whole new experience to the consumption of alcohol. And it's fun.

And to graduate to senior status, do a little funnelling. All it takes is a big funnel, a bit of plastic tubing, some duct tape, and plenty of unneeded brain cells. Also known as a beer bong. You drink two or three cans in about 30 seconds. Then you get sick.

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

And to graduate to senior status, do a little funnelling. All it takes is a big funnel, a bit of plastic tubing, some duct tape, and plenty of unneeded brain cells. Also known as a beer bong. You drink two or three cans in about 30 seconds. Then you get sick.
    My friends and I created a game where the winner got a beer bong, the loser got a boilermaker beer bong which we dubbed "the oil change."

13. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

Molsen XXX, it has 7.3% alcohol so you get buzzed quickly. Not too keen on the taste however,lol.

14. dk7m

dk7m Senior member

[​IMG]

It was cheap when I went to Taiwan at least[​IMG]

15. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member