• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
In college we used to drink Weideman's (sp?), which we could get at the local grocery for something ridiculous like $3.99 per 12-pack.
As my housemate Mikey once put it, "if you drink it really fast while it's really cold, it's not too bad."

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
J, what are you paying for Lowenbrau? I RARELY found Lowenbrau in LA and it sure wasn't "cheap." There's a small liquor store on Melrose near where I worked that sold a 6 pack for $7. That's about the same price for Bittburger.

No, it's not cheap, but it is cheaper than Bitburger usually. Around $6.5/6pk vs like $17ish/12, off the top of my head. And it goes on sale, which Bit rarely does.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
"if you drink it really fast while it's really cold, it's not too bad."

Precisely my approach to cheap beer while in undergrad. Probably 80% of my beer consumption then was Natty Ice. When I felt a little rich, I went for Milwaukee's Best. Stick that *********** freezer for a couple of minutes before you drink and you're golden.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My friends and I used to shotgun Natural Ice all the time in college. That was the only way I'd drink it, though.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
god, Id forgotten about that crap until this thread. Natural Ice and Keystone Lager, the staples of any fraternity party. Horrid tasting crap.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, maybe it was Keystone Ice. I can't remember. The one that tastes basically like "nothing" with a little bit of "gross" added.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
My friends and I used to shotgun Natural Ice all the time in college. That was the only way I'd drink it, though.
Nothing says 'thirst-quencher' like a shotgun. Hmm...maybe I'll do one right now.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Old Style for cheap, cold and fast.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Actually, maybe it was Keystone Ice. I can't remember. The one that tastes basically like "nothing" with a little bit of "gross" added.

Keystone and Natural Ice both taste like nothing with a touch of gross. So really It could be either

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Sierra Nevada is a California beer.

I stand corrected - "The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is located at 1075 East 20th Street in Chico, CA."

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Zywiec and Okocim isn't bad. Avoid Warka at all costs. It was the first beer in a while where I poored half the bottle down the drain. It was almost as bad as this Ukrainian beer I had that tasted like a multivitamin mixed with sugar and beer.

Don't tar all Ukrainian beer witht the same brush - the unpronouncable Pshenychne Weissbier Etalon is easily as good as the German Weissbiers I have tried: http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=3230

chrysalid

Reaction score
As a youth I drank a lager called Colt 45, I can't remeber if it was a cheap American lager, or a cheap American style lager, It was fairly nasty though.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We drank mostly Ice House in college.. by the keg or case. I never really liked it, but I drank it.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
As a youth I drank a lager called Colt 45, I can't remeber if it was a cheap American lager, or a cheap American style lager, It was fairly nasty though.

Colt 45 is a malt liquor. I believe you can only buy them in 1/2 qt. bottles.
We used to call them GIQ's. Big buzz but nasty hangover.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've shotgunned many a beer back in my young and dumb days. I think most folks shotgun with cans, but I've always done it by putting a dime in the bottom of a bottle, and slapping it against your thigh to knock a hole in it. Capping said hole, and pouring a new beer in it. Tilt back, release thumb and let the good times roll. Probably have a few shards of glass in me from it. Usually did it with Kokanee... ****** beer. Harsh going down because it's so over-carbonated to mask it's ****** taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads