1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Soph, Nov 25, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

In college we used to drink Weideman's (sp?), which we could get at the local grocery for something ridiculous like $3.99 per 12-pack.
    As my housemate Mikey once put it, "if you drink it really fast while it's really cold, it's not too bad."

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

J, what are you paying for Lowenbrau? I RARELY found Lowenbrau in LA and it sure wasn't "cheap." There's a small liquor store on Melrose near where I worked that sold a 6 pack for $7. That's about the same price for Bittburger.

No, it's not cheap, but it is cheaper than Bitburger usually. Around $6.5/6pk vs like $17ish/12, off the top of my head. And it goes on sale, which Bit rarely does.

3. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

"if you drink it really fast while it's really cold, it's not too bad."

Precisely my approach to cheap beer while in undergrad. Probably 80% of my beer consumption then was Natty Ice. When I felt a little rich, I went for Milwaukee's Best. Stick that shit in the freezer for a couple of minutes before you drink and you're golden.

4. j

My friends and I used to shotgun Natural Ice all the time in college. That was the only way I'd drink it, though.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

god, Id forgotten about that crap until this thread. Natural Ice and Keystone Lager, the staples of any fraternity party. Horrid tasting crap.

6. j

Actually, maybe it was Keystone Ice. I can't remember. The one that tastes basically like "nothing" with a little bit of "gross" added.

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

My friends and I used to shotgun Natural Ice all the time in college. That was the only way I'd drink it, though.
    Nothing says 'thirst-quencher' like a shotgun. Hmm...maybe I'll do one right now.

8. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Don't forget Old Style for cheap, cold and fast.

9. ratboycom

ratboycom Distinguished Member

Actually, maybe it was Keystone Ice. I can't remember. The one that tastes basically like "nothing" with a little bit of "gross" added.

Keystone and Natural Ice both taste like nothing with a touch of gross. So really It could be either

10. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior Member

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Sierra Nevada is a California beer.

I stand corrected - "The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is located at 1075 East 20th Street in Chico, CA."

11. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior Member

Zywiec and Okocim isn't bad. Avoid Warka at all costs. It was the first beer in a while where I poored half the bottle down the drain. It was almost as bad as this Ukrainian beer I had that tasted like a multivitamin mixed with sugar and beer.

Don't tar all Ukrainian beer witht the same brush - the unpronouncable Pshenychne Weissbier Etalon is easily as good as the German Weissbiers I have tried: http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=3230

12. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior Member

As a youth I drank a lager called Colt 45, I can't remeber if it was a cheap American lager, or a cheap American style lager, It was fairly nasty though.

13. briancl

briancl Distinguished Member

We drank mostly Ice House in college.. by the keg or case. I never really liked it, but I drank it.

14. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

As a youth I drank a lager called Colt 45, I can't remeber if it was a cheap American lager, or a cheap American style lager, It was fairly nasty though.

Colt 45 is a malt liquor. I believe you can only buy them in 1/2 qt. bottles.
    We used to call them GIQ's. Big buzz but nasty hangover.

15. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Distinguished Member

I've shotgunned many a beer back in my young and dumb days. I think most folks shotgun with cans, but I've always done it by putting a dime in the bottom of a bottle, and slapping it against your thigh to knock a hole in it. Capping said hole, and pouring a new beer in it. Tilt back, release thumb and let the good times roll. Probably have a few shards of glass in me from it. Usually did it with Kokanee... shitty beer. Harsh going down because it's so over-carbonated to mask it's shitty taste.