• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite 'cheap' beer?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???????

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boreale Blanche/Rousse/Noire. It's a microbrew, but retails for about $8/6-pack in Quebec. Not bargain-beer cheap, but cheaper than most mainstream lager swill.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Blue Moon

If it's swill you're asking about, or perhaps I'm at an establishment that plays both Country and Western music and my choices are limited, then Miller Lite it is!

Cheaper than Miller Lite? Sorry, give me the keys, I'll have a coke.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bud, if Blue Moon is available, I'll take that.
Natty Ice isn't too bad if you drink it really cold and you're really **** faced.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miller High Life, aka "The Champagne of Beers."

Seriously. Not Miller Lite, not MGD. High Life.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
High Life is pretty good. MGD isn't bad, but it's not good either.

By pure volume, PBR is my #1. However, in the same price bracket (the ~$7 1/2-rack of cans), I slightly prefer Olympia.

Bud, Bud light, Busch, and all those other football beers, along with all animal beers are disgusting to me. Budweiser especially is just nasty. And Coors light. Yuck.

Into the next bracket (the ~$9 12-pack of bottles), Henry Weinhard's is pretty decent, and their Summer Wheat is a really good approximation of Blue Moon, which is one of my favorites but costs a bit more. I also like Molson Canadian here. Well, I wouldn't say I like it, but it's acceptable. Kokanee has worn out its welcome with me after being a staple for a long bad period of college.

Above here, we're not talking cheap beer anymore.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bud. edit: Czech Bud, not the frat-boy American stuff, quite rightly mentioned as disgusting by another here. Czech Bud only 87 cents for 500ml. Half price of what I recall paying in the UK. BTW. in the coffee thread, what does 20oz equate to in volume? Are Americans the only ones who use a weight - imperial at that - for liquids?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
High Life is pretty good. MGD isn't bad, but it's not good either.

By pure volume, PBR is my #1. However, in the same price bracket (the ~$7 1/2-rack of cans), I slightly prefer Olympia.

Bud, Bud light, Busch, and all those other football beers, along with all animal beers are disgusting to me. Budweiser especially is just nasty. And Coors light. Yuck.

Into the next bracket (the ~$9 12-pack of bottles), Henry Weinhard's is pretty decent, and their Summer Wheat is a really good approximation of Blue Moon, which is one of my favorites but costs a bit more. I also like Molson Canadian here. Well, I wouldn't say I like it, but it's acceptable. Kokanee has worn out its welcome with me after being a staple for a long bad period of college.

Above here, we're not talking cheap beer anymore.

The liquor store by USC had cases of Olympia for about a week. Pretty damn decent for a cheapie. Stroh's or Hamm's isn't bad, either. Everything else tastes great when hammered like DarknWorn said. I used to buy 24pks of Natty every week for a few consecutive summers. It was like having bragging rights that you could and DID drink it. Miller Lite is easily the top tier of the "cheap" beers.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a contest a while ago amongst friends to see who could find the cheapest beer. Of course, there are the standards such as Hamms ($3.79 for a 12 pack), Special Export ($7.99 for 24 pack), and Steel Reserve 211 ($1.99 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans, 8.1% alcohol). The winner of the contest went to an inner-city liquor store where they found cans marked 'Beer', no real brand, and paid $2.99 for a 12 pack. They also found cigarettes there simply marked 'Cigarettes' which were $1.79 a pack.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you see you go to a place that looks like this:
558_5868_1.JPG
inside it has one of these:
biahoi2.JPG
and then they serve it like this:
biahoi.JPG
and then you pay the guy 4000 dong a glass - 25 cents or so. Then you drink and hope for the best. Tom and I went to a bia hoi in Lao Cai (on the Chinese border) that sold three things...beer, yoghurt, and toilets. Go figure. When I first arrived here I shared a house with a guy that used to take one of those 15 litre water bottle things with the little tap at the bottom down to the bia hoi, fill it up for like 3 or 4 bucks, throw it in the fridge, and hey, you got yourself a party.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
We had a contest a while ago amongst friends to see who could find the cheapest beer. Of course, there are the standards such as Hamms ($3.79 for a 12 pack), Special Export ($7.99 for 24 pack), and Steel Reserve 211 ($1.99 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans, 8.1% alcohol). The winner of the contest went to an inner-city liquor store where they found cans marked 'Beer', no real brand, and paid $2.99 for a 12 pack. They also found cigarettes there simply marked 'Cigarettes' which were $1.79 a pack.
I've been searching for these elusive "beer" cans but never been able to. Oddly enough, it's easy to find their liquor counterparts. Which inner city did they find them in?

alflauren

Reaction score
Miller High Life. It's a local brew for me, so it's usually cheaper then even the crappy 'frat party' brews, which is nice.

That sad, Leinenkugels is probably my main brew, since it's not too much more than High Life and it's a lot better.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallyCinnamon