1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whats' your favorite brand of shoe and why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Sep 4, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Sounds great, which shoes have you compared them against when chosing Berluti?

2. Senusret

Senusret Member

Santoni. Love their designs and quality. The first Santoni shoes I purchased was Lazaro, it felt like I was wearing Nike Air, so comfortable, from that day forth, I decided to stick with the brand.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Do they offer a recrafting service like AE and Alden?

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

goodyear welting or no, cole haan are not quality products

5. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I agree that they are not high quality, but they do look nice when new and are very comfortable. They are not shoes that will last many years though.

6. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Allen Edmonds are my personal favorite. They seem to be the best shoes for the money.

7. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Loake's for me..Great looking shoes (especially brogues -thing of beauty),affordable price and made in England. Second after that would be Barker for more of smarter type of shoe.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I agree I think they make some great shoes, however I am looking forward to possibly trying some other brands as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice, I do wish to try some English brands fairly soon.

Just trying to figure out exactly which ones right now.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

My vote is for Allen Edmonds. I feel the quality / value / style combination is great for me. And I like to buy American-made products when I can.

There is also a sentimental connection - my dad has always worn Allen Edmonds and he bought me my first pair of Allen Edmonds just after I graduated from college. And I have a pair of Allen Edmonds my wife bought me for our first Christmas together 22 years ago.

Chris

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

That's neat, do you still wear them as well?

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Yes, but not on a regular basis. I have a few other burgundy wingtips in the collection now. But the McAllisters still make it out for special occassions. They have been recrafted once - here they are (photo taken this summer).

Chris
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wow, they sure look good. To think all this time and they've only have been recrafted once. Of course I'm sure in part that has to do with how often they've actualy been worn and how well you take care of them.

14. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

My favourite pair of shoes are Saint Crispin's.

I bought them RTW but when purchasing MTO you can specify parts of the last which you would like modified and SC will accommodate your requests. A very big plus in my book.

They are finished to a superb standard and feel lighter and more comfortable than any other shoe I own.

For comparison:

Alfred Sargent - great Chelsea boots, the black calf leather almost glows. Perceivable as quality leather even from a distance. The leather has stretched to perfectly accommodate my feet (I sized my Chelseas down 1/2 a size as I'd do with loafers of any brand).

Crockett and Jones - Lindrick Cordovan boots, very heavy duty , excellent quality cordovan leather, great with jeans/ country wear.

Cleverley (semi bespoke) - made at Crockett's but to a much higher standard than handgrade, very fine calfskin and elegant lasts.

Edward green - beautiful crust leather which holds up well in the British rain, as do the soles. Reliably sized, the majority of my shoe collection.

JLP - wonderful misty calf leather, monk strap broke but was fixed quickly, leather soles seem very thin and wear more easily than the majority of my shoes. JL7000 last looks phenomenal.

Santoni Goodyear - remarkable last shape and sole finishing. The way the sole comes in at the waist is reminiscent of British bespoke shoes. The feel on my foot is almost as good as Saint C.

Church's - unremarkable sole finishing but very finely stitched uppers and excellent calf leather (avoid the shiny corrected grain offerings). Bought 2 pairs of custom grade at c. $190 a pair, fantastic value for the price.

Vass - excellent build quality, on a par with S.C. A more rugged look and feel though, perfect for budapesters.

Meermin - great price/quality ratio, I have only bought their suede shoes as the cordovan finishing was not to my liking and the suede quality seemed very high. Durability on the soles is a little questionable and the sizing can be strange. Once you have your size dialled in, they are great shoes to fill gaps in your collection with.The combination of suede and 'dainite' soles is great for rain and avoids the quality pitfalls of the brand.

Trickers - I only own a pair of opera pumps by Trickers, very different to their usual country wear. A very light a delicate shoe finished to a high standard. The firm's ability to produce such a different shoe is a testament to their quality, even if the majority of their designs are not to my liking.

I have also owned Jeffrey West, Loake and Barker shoes all of which are cheaper than most and offer a decent entry point into GW shoes. Barker are great if you have wide feet. Loake are very cheap. JW have some wild designs in corrected grain leather. If you're in your 20s and plan on drinking heavily in your shoes, I guess you could do worse. I once owned a pair of G&G but the TG73 last was just too narrow for my feet. The quality seemed a little higher than EG but not by a long way. Lovely shoes, was a shame to have to send them to B&S.

15. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is not entirely true.....I can't speak for 2012 Cole Haan goodyear welted shoes, but i have seen (a few years back) a pair of English made goodyear welted Cole Haans, that were among the nicest shoes that I have seen, and not just aesthetically, but leather quality, pattern to last ratio, finishing etc....If were to guess, they were probably made by Tricker's, who can make a very nice dress shoe

Now, this might not be the case anymore, I am not sure, but I just wanted to dispel the idea that Cole Haan has never made a nice shoe.........and believe me, I am very hard critic.....

To participate in the actual post, I would have to say that Gaziano & Girling is my probably my personal favorite brand.....

16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

styling wise i would go with Tom Ford. Comfort probably John Lobb prestige. But weirdly and i know I'm going to get flamed for this even though they are horrendously overpriced i do think Kiton shoes are some of the best RTW out there, I've managed to get a few pairs at decent prices and they beat out pretty much everything else i own. But obviously not worth double the price of Lobbs lol

17. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

You have to distinguish between the standard Loake ranges and Loake 1880 and between the standard Barker ranges and Barker Black. I'd say that neither Loake 1880 and Barker Black come across as 'very cheap' and are certainly better than AE.

18. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

why, if the quality is there?

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

RM Williams and Paraboot are pretty much my only reference for high-end shoes. Heschung used to be there too, but I don't care for their new styles.

I see Sebago as a sleeper brand for dress casual shoes.

On the low end, I was surprised by the quality of the mass customized Converse shoes. Worlds above what you buy in the stores.

20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

1880 is not certainly better than AE, if better at all.