• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your damage for the RL sale ?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I generally find the SA's without any redeeming factor. They do dress pretty sharp, in general, though.
My princeton people are great, with a few annoying exceptions. None the less they're pretty good people, one thinks that using all the techniques from 'closing the sale' by zig zigler will remove the money from my pocket. Generally speaking they're all clothes hounds like me, and people who I'd like to take out for a drink giving the opportunity.

oaw01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolwaterz
after reading these posts, i have to ask what some of you people do for a living. i know in my crappy job even if i bought those darltons and black label suits....noone would know or appreciate the quality and price tag affiliated with these articles of clothing...

it would be an absolute waste unless one is a vp or senior management position of some kind whereby they interact daily with others and want to project an image. if you are not in this position, i really think that whoever would spend 500 bucks on shoes when they live paycheck to paycheck and plan on wearing those shoes in a medial job and to happy hour is an absolute fool, but not only that, a wannabe which is even worse...no offense to the guys who bought these items that are in better places than most of us- all the more power to you, i wouldnt want my supervisor to look like he buys his clothes at walmart, in fact i would lose respect for him..but to the rest of you, no pun intend but if the shoe fits....

I'm a windows 95 desktop engineer. I wear my Black Labels to install software and move PCs from one desk to another.

factorial

Reaction score
I was going to pick up a couple of the grosgrain ribbon belts but tried to find them in either the Chicago or Atlanta stores (both were sold out) and they're sold out now online, so my damage is $0. If you happen to have the black grosgrain belt or the blue-and-white stripe grosgrain belt in a medium, I'd like to take one or both of them off your hands (details here).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

I find the RL shoes pretty consistent in size across the board.

Same here.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding RL sizes, just want to add that, in my experience, even the newer Made in Italy shoes fit true to size.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, i have a pair of Marlow tassel loafers on the way from NYC.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
cool, i have a pair of Marlow tassel loafers on the way from NYC.
Nice. I received shipping confirmation on mine today, and should have them tomorrow.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Wingtips for me.

On the sizing issue the RL shell loafers were always too large for me in my normal size. I do not know if sizing down would actually help as they seem to fit on the wide/roomy side IMO. Length was fine but I needed a reasonably thick sock to keep them on my feet.

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Got a couple pair of Shell's (New York Store Eric helped me $405 a pair) and shirts, socks, pants, sheets total a little over 2K from the web site.

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Yup, finally got some shell Darltons, $404 plus local tax (around $424 total). That should hold me until I can finally find Alden longwings in whiskey shell.

DC Store will have some Revello ones this fall... I have a pair reserved.

pwy95a

Reaction score
TL store - snagged a Blue Label 1 button grosgrain peak lapel tux that I had been eyeing for a year...$889 without tax using the 30% + additional 15% discounts.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
RL Wingtips for me.

On the sizing issue the RL shell loafers were always too large for me in my normal size. I do not know if sizing down would actually help as they seem to fit on the wide/roomy side IMO. Length was fine but I needed a reasonably thick sock to keep them on my feet.

+1.

I have struggled with the fitting of cordo tassel loafers in my regular size. It seems to me that going down half a size would have been better for me.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the Darlton shell wingtips. Resisted the first few days and broke down yesterday. I knew I would have regretted it if I didn't.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolwaterz
after reading these posts, i have to ask what some of you people do for a living. i know in my crappy job even if i bought those darltons and black label suits....noone would know or appreciate the quality and price tag affiliated with these articles of clothing...

it would be an absolute waste unless one is a vp or senior management position of some kind whereby they interact daily with others and want to project an image. if you are not in this position, i really think that whoever would spend 500 bucks on shoes when they live paycheck to paycheck and plan on wearing those shoes in a medial job and to happy hour is an absolute fool, but not only that, a wannabe which is even worse...no offense to the guys who bought these items that are in better places than most of us- all the more power to you, i wouldnt want my supervisor to look like he buys his clothes at walmart, in fact i would lose respect for him..but to the rest of you, no pun intend but if the shoe fits....

Gosh, where to start?

I guess you should start with finding the thread about new members not being dicks. Maybe you aren't here to build relationships with the other members, but it's a nice place with nice people and you're more likely to be taken seriously and given decent advice when you don't start by calling people wannabes and fools.

Just the fact that you start with the premise that people are buying these items so that others will appreciate the price tag associated with the item is unfortunate. Did you ever consider that buying a pair of double-sole shell cordovan shoes would be cheaper in the long run than buying multiple pairs of Kenneth Cole shoes? Or that walking taller b/c you feel good about yourself and how you look in a well-fitted coat is worth something to the wearer, regardless of what anyone else can see?

I know a lot of well-dressed guys who are not managers (probably b/c they spend all day on the computer looking at clothes) and a lot of poorly dressed guys who are. So what? My neighbor would probably think it's wierd that I have as many odd jackets as I do. I probably spend less on hunting equipment than he does. Don't assume that you know why people do the things they do or that you can tell whether or not they can (or should be able to afford) their lifestyle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads