1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's your damage for the RL sale ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oaw01, May 16, 2009.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Picture looks like the work of eBay/online seller Grapevinehill.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Err.. no, they are not shell.

[​IMG]

3. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

$100 white "yachting" sweatshirt
    $200 shoes
    $180 boat shoes

+ $50 tax to his royal highness in Albany or City Hall

======
    $530

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

so no one got any RLPL EG's?

5. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

[​IMG]

Huh. That's not mentioned at all online. The pic looks like calfskin too. From the description:
    Preppy loafer in smooth, polished calfskin with contrasting canvas belted detail for a distinctive look.

They are what they are. The website just has it wrong I guess.

6. txeconomist

txeconomist Senior member

Do some of the ralph lauren stores still have the plain toe shell bluchers? If so, and I bought them on Monday, what would they cost?

7. btinl

btinl Senior member

Marlow shell wingtips
    (3) Slim-fit chinos
    Telford boat shoes
    Blue RLBL dress shirt

8. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Do some of the ralph lauren stores still have the plain toe shell bluchers? If so, and I bought them on Monday, what would they cost?

The Chicago store had some; they were the same as the wingtips: $405 plus tax/shipping.

9. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Senior member

My first-ever navy suit, Black Label.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Huh. That's not mentioned at all online. The pic looks like calfskin too. From the description:
    Preppy loafer in smooth, polished calfskin with contrasting canvas belted detail for a distinctive look.

They are what they are. The website just has it wrong I guess.

Yeah when I ordered them I was expecting calfskin as that's what the description said.
    I didn't even notice they were cordovan until some one asked the question if they were and I checked the box.
    But now I notice that they are starting to crease in that uniquely cordovan way.

11. PRL Style

PRL Style Active Member

Baltimore/D.C./N. VA. during workweek, New Jersey/
    I scored a pair of them at the Ralph Lauren boutique in King of Prussia Mall, the biggest and best mall in the United States outside of the Philly. Took advantage of the 40% plus 15% and also nabbed my second pair of Cordovan Marlow Wingtips [​IMG]

12. clarity

clarity Senior member

Just a polo shirt. To be honest when I look through the rl sales like this there are lots of things that I almost want but can never quite pull the trigger on.

13. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Senior member

Stupid [​IMG]

$1K on a blazer is stupid unless one is a deformed millionaire. Period.

Some would say the same about owning an expensive vehicle (was it a Land Rover or a Range Rover?), but different strokes I guess.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Last Thursday I saw them at the Michigan Avenue store in Chicago.

15. coolwaterz

coolwaterz Well-Known Member

after reading these posts, i have to ask what some of you people do for a living. i know in my crappy job even if i bought those darltons and black label suits....noone would know or appreciate the quality and price tag affiliated with these articles of clothing...

it would be an absolute waste unless one is a vp or senior management position of some kind whereby they interact daily with others and want to project an image. if you are not in this position, i really think that whoever would spend 500 bucks on shoes when they live paycheck to paycheck and plan on wearing those shoes in a medial job and to happy hour is an absolute fool, but not only that, a wannabe which is even worse...no offense to the guys who bought these items that are in better places than most of us- all the more power to you, i wouldnt want my supervisor to look like he buys his clothes at walmart, in fact i would lose respect for him..but to the rest of you, no pun intend but if the shoe fits....

16. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

after reading these posts, i have to ask what some of you people do for a living. i know in my crappy job even if i bought those darltons and black label suits....noone would know or appreciate the quality and price tag affiliated with these articles of clothing...

it would be an absolute waste unless one is a vp or senior management position of some kind whereby they interact daily with others and want to project an image. if you are not in this position, i really think that whoever would spend 500 bucks on shoes when they live paycheck to paycheck and plan on wearing those shoes in a medial job and to happy hour is an absolute fool, but not only that, a wannabe which is even worse...no offense to the guys who bought these items that are in better places than most of us- all the more power to you, i wouldnt want my supervisor to look like he buys his clothes at walmart, in fact i would lose respect for him..but to the rest of you, no pun intend but if the shoe fits....

there are many more small-timers that populate this forum than you realize.

As for my personal damage for this RL sale, I just pulled the trigger on the shell cordovan tassel loafer. I just could not resist all the tassel loafer I'm seeing in Mens' Ex.

17. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm the overnight janitor at WalMart, I can afford my clothes due to the night differential.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

thanks, now i know. [​IMG]

19. Tomboys

Tomboys Senior member

Without a doubt, there are those on this site that simply want to just brag about the labels on their clothes, the name on their cars and the beauty of their trophy wives or girlfriends. However, there are some on this board who simply dress well because that is their vice or passion. To each their own.

For me, I don't really care if anyone appreciates the quality/cost of my clothing and that I also pay close attention to the fit. I don't dress for others; I dress for me. For instance, when I put on a suit for work, it's my suit of armour and it gets me in the proper mind-set. It's sort of like putting on your combat gear. I take the time to lay out the clothes I want to wear for a particular situation (the who, what, where and when) to ensure that it's appropriate. After that, once I walk out the door, I don't care about my clothes anymore. My mind has now shifted my focus on what I have to do or want to accomplish that day.

Lastly, while it's probably a little ostentatious to wear a suit to work the graveyard shift at 7-11, we have to wear something. So, why would anyone want to spend good money to look bad?

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Without a doubt, there are those on this site that simply want to just brag about the labels on their clothes.

Its best to brag to those who actually understand what we're bragging about. [​IMG]