• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your color scheme?

Ren Fisk

Reaction score
Here's a question, what are your "Colors?" Where on the color chart does the majority of your clothes fall on?

Are you a "Winter," "Spring" "Summer" or "Autumn/Fall?"

I guess you can say I'm into Earth Tones - or an "Autumn." Most of what I wear are browns, reds, gold, some shades of green (olive). How about you?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly: olives, greys, med. grey, tans, browns, blues. I wish I could carry-off the colours some of the natives wear but I don't have the complexion/hair colouring for it. Porca miseria!

Windsurf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ren Fisk
Here's a question, what are your "Colors?" Where on the color chart does the majority of your clothes fall on?

Are you a "Winter," "Spring" "Summer" or "Autumn/Fall?"

I guess you can say I'm into Earth Tones - or an "Autumn." Most of what I wear are browns, reds, gold, some shades of green (olive). How about you?

I'm a winter. I wish I could carry off more autumn colors. But as much as I love them they don't work for me. So I'll stick to my winter shades, but every once in a while I'll buy a brown/olive check jacket which I will wear and love but no one else likes it on me.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am a Winter. I read somewhere that nearly 3/4 of men are winters. I have to confess -- the system works. Other people have corroborated that I look best in navy, true blues, gray, green, red, white, and bold pink, for example. I will still wear clothing that is not appropriate "by the book" for a winter if I really like it. Fortunately this doesn't happen much. I've always been drawn toward the winter colors and disliked earth tones, pastels, and other muted colors.

Edited to make sense.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very subdued.

mostly monochromatic. sometimes with a bright accent color.

some days i'll go 'acid-dandy' and mix up a lot of colors and wild patterns. but not too often.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Greys, blues, some black, white, and occasionally brown.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can someone briefly explain how one determines one's "season"?

I wear a lot of black, navy, greys, whites and bold colors. There's little that I will shy away from, but I'd like to get a better idea of what colors I shouldn't try to wear, because it's often hard for me to tell.

I do know, however, that I look best in a very light, but saturated true blue shirt. I had one and had to get rid of it and I've been trying to replace it for a while now. Charles Tyrwhitt's "Sky" color seems pretty close.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I wear a lot of black, navy, greys, whites and bold colors. There's little that I will shy away from, but I'd like to get a better idea of what colors I shouldn't try to wear, because it's often hard for me to tell.

I do know, however, that I look best in a very light, but saturated true blue shirt. I had one and had to get rid of it and I've been trying to replace it for a while now. Charles Tyrwhitt's "Sky" color seems pretty close.

The colors and definitely the shirt you describe suggest you are a winter. You should check out a book called "Color for Men." I forget the author's name, but she popularized this system first for women, and then for men. Even though it's from the 80s, the color advice is spot on. Most of the other advice is generally fine.

You determine your season by the tinge of your skin and your complexion. So if you have a pale complexion and a pinkish hue to your skin, you are one certain season. Winters have a bluish or grayish hue, I believe. There's also discussion of eye colors, types of pupils, hair color, etc., to determine your season.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aha, I figured that. The chart is actually in Steve's book as well, I just never really looked at it. Thanks.

nioh

Reaction score
I'm not one for labeling things but i would describe it as subdued. Gray, blue, black, brown, white. I do too on occasion feel adventurous enough to go bolder and I intend to do that more often.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
very subdued.

mostly monochromatic. sometimes with a bright accent color.

some days i'll go 'acid-dandy' and mix up a lot of colors and wild patterns. but not too often.

Your adaptation of my terminology is indicative of a coming sea change in the worldviews of all sentient beings. Through controlling semantics, I shall spread acid dandyism to all the world's people.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

You have some woman who wears conspicuous scarves and likely has failed at mid-level marketing and psychic reading drape a bunch of swatches over you to most accurately determine your coloration. See: Roger & Me.

fatty

Reaction score
aaah, the "season" schemes usually refer to complexion, eye, skin and hair colour. They're a guide for the colours which look best on you. Wearing navy and black doesnt make you "winter". Anyway, I'm autumn, dark warm colours, browns, reds and blacks. I wear a lot of black/white/grey actually. This is a guideline to what complexion you have, the specifics vary with complexion: Complexion "seasons"

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dark blue, dark grey, black shoes. aside from a few things for the gym, and my tabaco colored overcoat, you could fit everything that I have that isn't dark blue, dark gray, or blue in ******, and still have room.

gerz85

Reaction score
black, brown, grey/charcoal/slate, eggplant/lavender, and lots and lots of navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads