1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your closet look like?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, May 12, 2005.

1. cl5

cl5 Member

hm.. well, here's the closet of a college student: [​IMG] [​IMG] sure, it's organized.. but i could definitely use some nicer things..

2. vista

vista Active Member

Nicely organized, especially for a college student. [​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Wow. My old dorm at Haggin Hall sure never looked like that. What sort of instrument do you have in there? No pictures, but I finally picked up a Woodlore tie rack at TJ Maxx ($10, not bad). Spiffs up the closet quite a bit, although I still need another one...or two... Â [​IMG]

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

this is one of the best threads i've seen lately.....but guys, YOU'RE CRAMMING YOUR CLOTHES... there should really be some 'breathing room' between your jackets, trousers-- not only will this help with wrinkles as the garments hang, but the overall pleasure you'll take when selecting something to wear. now that i'm settled in a house again, i'll take some photos in a week or two to show what i mean-- also, highly recommend trashing hangers for jackets that aren't wood and broad-shouldered, to support the shoulders of your jackets. i use cedar for my overcoat and classic trench, but for suits and sportcoats my favorites are these; I get the clips for trousers seperately from the same source For suits: http://www.containerstore.com/browse....D=68656 For sportcoats: http://www.containerstore.com/browse....D=59707

5. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I agree with foxx. For suits, you definetly need some distance in between suits. I give my suits about 2-3inches in between. Although this number will get smaller as my suit collection grows .. sigh ..

One comment on rotation. I tried to stick with my rotation schdule, but for me, my outfit really reflects on how I feel in that morning. So, I stick with random order, but I do not wear the same suit no more than once in a week.

6. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

You do have to realize that not everyone has that kind of closet space for that to be a realistic option. Spending years in dorms with maybe 5 feet length of closet space can be killer on your clothes.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Well, now there is no way I'm snapping a picture of my closet.  I have about 6' of space in which 40+ shirts, 15 pairs of odd pants, and a tie hangar are squeezed into that area.  I actually smush everything together and leave space for the five pressed shirts and slacks I'm wearing for that week.

I'm also guilty of using those wire dry cleaner hangars b/c the wood ones take up too much space.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I tore out two closets not too long ago -- lined them with cedar and then built shelving for shoes all the way up (the ceiling is high). That takes care of shoes -- and hanging items, so far. I also took a router and made curved shelving in the larger one, so that only one person can walk in to the walk-in closet. A lot of stuff fits on shelves. And I have a few dressers to hold shirts and trousers.

I'm now trying to persuade the old girl to allow me to fashion what I think what be a very hip "hanging closet" with hardware (from a marine supply store) fastened to the ceiling. I think it would look great and use a lot of space well, but she isn't as convinced.

9. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I use hangers direct.com If you like, they can even do custom printed ones. I have them doing them for my clothing line.

10. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

This is good inspiration to clean up my built-in I had done last year and get all the trees back in the shoes.

11. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

To resurrect an old thread, here are pics of my closet, before and after its recent makeover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I keep finding ed in it.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

i keep mine partly underground to avoid my wife noticing frequent new arrivals....

14. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

dem: why hang your tees? Isn't that a waste of closet hanging space?

15. TCN

TCN Senior member

Those shoe boxes could bring a tear to the eye.

16. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I don't know if keeping your suits in plastic bags is a good idea. They need to breathe.

17. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Well, now there is no way I'm snapping a picture of my closet. Â I have about 6' of space in which 40+ shirts, 15 pairs of odd pants, and a tie hangar are squeezed into that area. Â I actually smush everything together and leave space for the five pressed shirts and slacks I'm wearing for that week.

I'm also guilty of using those wire dry cleaner hangars b/c the wood ones take up too much space.

For 6' read 8'; for 40 shirts read 50, for 15 pants read 30, add 10 suits and 12 sportcoats, and 15 pairs of shoes (not counting the 20 under the bed). On the other hand, the commute to Wall Street from Galveston or Wilmington would be longer than 15 minutes. [​IMG] - and you guys still want me to buy your 38Rs, right?

18. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Aside from the picture below, I built a tie rack and shoe platforms shelves along the walls.

[​IMG]

Beat that.

Damon

You have a leather chair and booze in your closet. That's awesome, now all you need is a tv and you'll never have to leave

19. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

I don't know if keeping your suits in plastic bags is a good idea. They need to breathe.

The bags are backed with canvas, and the plastic doesn't smell. I carry my suits around a lot, so it makes a good compromise.

20. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Aside from the picture below, I built a tie rack and shoe platforms shelves along the walls.

[​IMG]

Beat that.

Damon

I imagine if something does not fit right you just take a sip of that Johnny Walker and the clothes adjust themsleves immediately...
    BTW, how long does it take you to dress every morining?[​IMG]