Whats your closet look like?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, May 12, 2005.

1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

This past summer and fall, when my lovely wife and I were shopping for our first house, one of my primary considerations was closet size. The abode we ultimately agreed upon has a master closet that measures 20' by 7', larger than two of our bedrooms. A man must have priorities.

2. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

A picture of my bedroom closet, my dressing room closet holds suits and sportjackets. [​IMG] Not all my shoes are shown in this pic.

3. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Good job. Organization is good. I am going to show Mrs. Cuffthis that messy is bad, and I am not the only one with an organized, neat closet. Hers is so bad, that when she opens her closet, she throws a shoulder in to catch anything that may fall out

4. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

5. ATM

ATM Senior member

Dressing room 1? There are more? <Gasp>

6. cl5

cl5 Member

hm.. well, here's the closet of a college student: [​IMG] [​IMG] sure, it's organized.. but i could definitely use some nicer things..

7. vista

vista Active Member

Nicely organized, especially for a college student. [​IMG]

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Wow. My old dorm at Haggin Hall sure never looked like that. What sort of instrument do you have in there? No pictures, but I finally picked up a Woodlore tie rack at TJ Maxx ($10, not bad). Spiffs up the closet quite a bit, although I still need another one...or two... Â [​IMG]

9. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

this is one of the best threads i've seen lately.....but guys, YOU'RE CRAMMING YOUR CLOTHES... there should really be some 'breathing room' between your jackets, trousers-- not only will this help with wrinkles as the garments hang, but the overall pleasure you'll take when selecting something to wear. now that i'm settled in a house again, i'll take some photos in a week or two to show what i mean-- also, highly recommend trashing hangers for jackets that aren't wood and broad-shouldered, to support the shoulders of your jackets. i use cedar for my overcoat and classic trench, but for suits and sportcoats my favorites are these; I get the clips for trousers seperately from the same source For suits: http://www.containerstore.com/browse....D=68656 For sportcoats: http://www.containerstore.com/browse....D=59707

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I agree with foxx. For suits, you definetly need some distance in between suits. I give my suits about 2-3inches in between. Although this number will get smaller as my suit collection grows .. sigh ..

One comment on rotation. I tried to stick with my rotation schdule, but for me, my outfit really reflects on how I feel in that morning. So, I stick with random order, but I do not wear the same suit no more than once in a week.

11. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

You do have to realize that not everyone has that kind of closet space for that to be a realistic option. Spending years in dorms with maybe 5 feet length of closet space can be killer on your clothes.

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Well, now there is no way I'm snapping a picture of my closet.  I have about 6' of space in which 40+ shirts, 15 pairs of odd pants, and a tie hangar are squeezed into that area.  I actually smush everything together and leave space for the five pressed shirts and slacks I'm wearing for that week.

I'm also guilty of using those wire dry cleaner hangars b/c the wood ones take up too much space.

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

I tore out two closets not too long ago -- lined them with cedar and then built shelving for shoes all the way up (the ceiling is high). That takes care of shoes -- and hanging items, so far. I also took a router and made curved shelving in the larger one, so that only one person can walk in to the walk-in closet. A lot of stuff fits on shelves. And I have a few dressers to hold shirts and trousers.

I'm now trying to persuade the old girl to allow me to fashion what I think what be a very hip "hanging closet" with hardware (from a marine supply store) fastened to the ceiling. I think it would look great and use a lot of space well, but she isn't as convinced.

14. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I use hangers direct.com If you like, they can even do custom printed ones. I have them doing them for my clothing line.

15. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

This is good inspiration to clean up my built-in I had done last year and get all the trees back in the shoes.