• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with this picture? Free for-all snarkfest

Earthmover

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Being color blind, somewhat dense about sizing, proportion, etc., and still experimenting to dress better, I think this would be a fun exercise. Please point out things that are wrong with the following picture, with the exception of (1) the unclean state of the room; (2) the bad pictures; and (3) what looks like an embarassing stain on the pants, but actually is just camera lens dust. Sigh.

I think the colors are pretty true to life. I've worn them all day from about 11am to 2:30am, so that should be taken into consideration. Anyway, here we go:

easter.jpg

easter1.jpg

Thanks everyone!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Uhm, no tie? Seriously, looks great man, well done, esp the boutonier. I raise a near beer to you.

Tom

kcgreg

Reaction score
I am confused - is there anything wrong with the pic? Is this a trick question?

The stripes on the jacket are horizontal and not vertical - cool!

seok

Reaction score
love the baby blue color on the blazer

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be an irregularity in the chest area, on the right side of the jacket, beginning above the top button and running up around six inches..

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pocket square!

And I'm not a big fan of the black stitching and buttons against the lighter coloured coat.

But, these are literally the only faults I see. I would go so far as to say the pocket square is pretty essential with no tie and neutral colours, but maybe that's just me. I like them a lot.

Cheers,

Eden

EDIT: I was just thinking, does the boutonniere make up for the absence of tie/pocket square? Not that, IMHO, there's ever a reason to eschew a pocket square really. What's more, I feel that the very formal touch of a boutonniere actually makes a pocket square more mandatory, both so it's not such a bright contrast to the jacket on that side, and also just to up the formality of the outfit as a whole?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
No pocket square!

And I'm not a big fan of the black stitching and buttons against the lighter coloured coat.

But, these are literally the only faults I see. I would go so far as to say the pocket square is pretty essential with no tie and neutral colours, but maybe that's just me. I like them a lot.

Cheers,

Eden

Hah! Knew there had to be something. Good catch.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Being color blind . . . I think the colors are pretty true to life.

How would you know?

What Eden said about lack of pocket square. The buttonhole stitching is a matter of taste. You are also showing too little cuff on your left arm.

Originally Posted by Tomasso
There seems to be an irregularity in the chest area, on the right side of the jacket, beginning above the top button and running up around six inches.

I noticed that too. Looks like something a tailor could fix.

Seriously, there's very little to criticize.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the jacket, trousers and shoes. I think the shirt is a little uninspired for such a gorgeous jacket, but again, one has to nitpick to find things wrong.
You are dressed better than 99.9999% of most guys out there.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Overall I think you look great earthmover, one minor gripe is the length of the jacket, maybe its just the angle but I'd prefer to see it align with the knuckles of your thumbs. Is the shirt RLPL? I think I may have the same one. The jacket is lovely, tell us a little about it...

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, where is the thread in which I state: "I don't hate blue blazers, but there are so many more inspired choices"?

Like this one. Switch this jacket with a blue blazer and he looks like a Chevy salesman.

Millerp

Reaction score
Shirt showing between the jacket buttons is generally
not desirable. Could be the way you are standing or the
trousers are worn too low. Even though one does not
button the bottom jacket button, the button and the
buttonhole should usually coincide.

Overall nice look.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Shirt showing between the jacket buttons is generally
not desirable. Could be the way you are standing or the
trousers are worn too low. Even though one does not
button the bottom jacket button, the button and the
buttonhole should usually coincide.

Overall nice look.

Has been discussed before, I still disagree. Front quarters falling straight down is very...plain.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Has been discussed before, I still disagree. Front quarters falling straight down is very...plain.

Agree completely, but the flare could start just a little lower
so the shirt, belt or tie (if worn) does not peek out below the
top button. Just my opinion.

For example, this Zegna

untitled8ed.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pants and shoes are great, especially the length of the pants. Shirt is plain jane, but that is just my taste. Is the jacket windowpane or does it have horizontal stripes. Windowpane is good; horizontal stripes, burn the jacket. Also, since we are being snarky, I do not like the buttonaire at all. It looks plastic. Pocket square or a nice bud would serve you better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads