• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with these trousers?

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify what can be done to alter these pants so they drape better. Have a look at the following pictures:

Front: Weird break at the knees

Front (after waving legs around a bit): Huge breaks and one leg slides up

Side

Back: what's going on back at the knees??

The pants have been shortened and tapered to show some ankle (going for that italian cut) but I guess the tailor didn't care to mention these folds.
What is wrong and can it be easily fixed? should I find another tailor?

Also I heard there's supposed to be some kind of alteration thread but I can't seem to find it?

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Whoa...there is a lot going on with those. To be honest, I can't imagine any alteration short of recutting/remaking them that would turn out well. I would chalk those up as a loss (or return if possible) and find another brand.

The tailors feedback thread is here http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions
Ouch, I really hope something can be done, I posted in the alteration thread for some additional advice...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it appears that the trousers are now too tight in the lower leg. A combination of relatively large calves and overly aggressive taper in the lower leg is the problem.You can see how the fabric is being held up at the calf because the trousers are too narrow below the calf. When the fabric below the calf rides up when you bend your leg, it gets hung up at the widest part of the calf.

The main question now is whether your tailor left the fabric inside the trouser leg when he slimmed the legs. Look inside the legs to see how much fabric is inside the seams--this is what can be used to let the trouser legs back out.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

Reaction score

To me it appears that the trousers are now too tight in the lower leg. A combination of relatively large calves and overly aggressive taper in the lower leg is the problem.You can see how the fabric is being held up at the calf because the trousers are too narrow below the calf. When the fabric below the calf rides up when you bend your leg, it gets hung up at the widest part of the calf.

The main question now is whether your tailor left the fabric inside the trouser leg when he slimmed the legs. Look inside the legs to see how much fabric is inside the seams--this is what can be used to let the trouser legs back out.

Thankfully The material is still there so it can be let out. I Will ask my tailor to redo The job, I think they should alter it for free since the result is so disastrous. Maybe I should seek a new one...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your tailor pin the trouser legs when you were discussing the alteration? This way you would have noticed the problem before the alteration was done.

TheLostSwede

Reaction score

Did your tailor pin the trouser legs when you were discussing the alteration? This way you would have noticed the problem before the alteration was done. 

Yeah, however I didn't notice at that time, bad lighting and so on but I guess I should have been more observant. I thought the tailor would notice such a weird fit, at least mention it.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You owe it to society to identify the tailor by name and address, so that others can avoid him at all cost.

I agree that you should have been more observant. (Well, if you've learned that lesson, it wasn't a complete waste of money.) But the fact remains that the alterations he provided are appallingly bad, and any competent tailor would at the very least have said something along the lines of, "Hey, TheLostSwede, this is going to look terrible. Let me show you exactly why this is a bad idea. Then maybe you'll agree to something less extreme. Wake up, TheLostSwede; I'm talking to you!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads