• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with these shoes?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ac15ccbe.jpg
There are Ferragamos size 9EE. Notice how the tops don't meet. This is pulled VERY tight, as tight as the shoes will go. I don't have abnormally wide or big feet, as a reference I wear 9Ds in Allen Edmunds (Bel Air). Are the shoes made not to close all the way? I thought maybe they were too small but with a EE width they should be fine. I think this is just a poorly designed shoe. I find its too long for a 9 and narrow up top despite the EE width.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Notice how the tops don't meet.

This really doesn't matter. Maybe you have a high instep. But who cares...as long as they're comfortable I don't see any problem.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
ac15ccbe.jpg
There are Ferragamos size 9EE. Notice how the tops don't meet. This is pulled VERY tight, as tight as the shoes will go. I don't have abnormally wide or big feet, as a reference I wear 9Ds in Allen Edmunds (Bel Air). Are the shoes made not to close all the way? I thought maybe they were too small but with a EE width they should be fine. I think this is just a poorly designed shoe. I find its too long for a 9 and narrow up top despite the EE width.

Even if you find a shoe in the length and width you need, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a good fit. It's probably just not the shoe for your foot.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's true, thanks for the thoughts on the subject. I've had these shoes for over a year and finally decided to look into this.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What does 9EE mean? What does it say about tread width...in centimeters or inches? What does it say about heel seat width? What does it tell you about the ball girth...in centimeters or inches? About the waist girth? About the instep girth? The correct answer is "nothing!!" All these sizes are more or less arbitrary. One maker's 9EE can very often and not unsurprisingly be an exact duplicate of another makers 10A. Even within the product line of a single maker, a model may fit different, or be significantly different in sizing, than another model. And even the same model and ostensibly the same last can change sizing over a span of years...simply because the old lasts wore out and new ones were cut a little differently. The shoes don't fit the foot the way they should, IMO...although some people like then that way.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my thoughts, which could be totally wrong, so please correct me if you know better

1. I don't think EE Ferragamo/Italian width fits within the D E EEE sizing scheme in the US.
I believe Ferragamo has E, EE, and EEE widths, and EE is the standard width, no? which is
just a tad wider than the common US D width and easily falls within maker/last variations, ie,
you can probably find a D that fits wider.

(Incidently, I always roll my eyes when the SA in a shoe store tells me "your feet are not wide,
look at me, I wear double-E: my feet are reaaally wide")

2. You probably have a high instep. Do you find that after a long day you develop pressure points under
the lacing?

3. You might be able to stretch the leather for closer lacing, but after a year of wearing, maybe not to
much

4. You may want to change your lacing technique so the criss-crossing cannot be seen in the upper part
of the "V"

fredrikkm

Reaction score
They are RTW shoes, and obviously just doesn't fit your foot perfectly. Why didn't you just choose not to buy them in the first place, if it matters that much to you?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
my thoughts, which could be totally wrong, so please correct me if you know better

1. I don't think EE Ferragamo/Italian width fits within the D E EEE sizing scheme in the US.
I believe Ferragamo has E, EE, and EEE widths, and EE is the standard width, no? which is
just a tad wider than the common US D width and easily falls within maker/last variations, ie,
you can probably find a D that fits wider.

(Incidently, I always roll my eyes when the SA in a shoe store tells me "your feet are not wide,
look at me, I wear double-E: my feet are reaaally wide)

2. You probably have a high instep. Do you find that after a long day you develop pressure points under
the lacing?

3. You might be able to stretch the leather for closer lacing, but after a year of wearing, maybe not to
much

4. You may want to change your lacing technique so the criss-crossing cannot be seen in the upper part
of the "V"

Any thoughts on lacing technique that would be better?

Originally Posted by fredrikkm
They are RTW shoes, and obviously just doesn't fit your foot perfectly. Why didn't you just choose not to buy them in the first place, if it matters that much to you?

Like most things OTR they look great but the longer I have them the more faults I find with them. LOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads