• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with single-pleated trousers?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classical tailoring seems to envisage either double pleats (forward or reversed), or no pleats. Why? I always thought that double pleats spoil the cleanliness of the look and create unnecessary bulk, especially if the trousers don't sit at the natural waist but a little lower. Yet a single pleat is quite appealing as it prevents the trouser crease from springing out of nowhere. So my bespoke trousers are all either flat front or with single (forward) pleats. Where and why do I go wrong?

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Don't know about trousers, but I love single pleated suit pants.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single pleats are my favourite. Best of both worlds.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I'm mainly a flat front guy but I have absolutely no problem with wearing single pleated trousers

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My uneducated guess is that double pleats have become common to better accommodate the physiques of the average American male; i.e.: roomier.

I think reverse pleats can look snazzy, but I agree that single pleats or flat fronts are best.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Add me to the single pleat being my favourite group. Though I wear many flat fronts as well, and a couple of double. In fact I have noticed more single pleat pants on suits in the past couple of years.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that lots of people (myself included) wear single pleats a lot of the time. But my question was about the reasons that sartorial purists and most top tailors have for preferring double pleats. Any insights into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

For example, Thomas Mahon (admittedly alongside a lot of simplified or strongly opinionated advice) says: "Plain fronts are fine but if you want pleats, try to make sure they have four, and not two" (http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000101.html).

Or just look at the pictures of the cognoscenti, from Alden to Will, Manton, etc. Why this dichotomy of flat fronts or double pleats?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the main reason for most people to prefer double over single pleats is that it is said that the second pleat helps keep the first pleat closed and thus create a cleaner line. From my experience, this need not be true as this is all up to the general cut of the pant leg. I personally only wear single pleats.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I agree. If the first pleat opens it means the leg is too narrow, or the trousers pull around the seat, or the waist isn't set properly. So that can't be the reason. Unless the reason is to have fairly slim trousers with pleats that don't open, but at that point why not go flat-front? Am I oversimplifying?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes the trouser front needs to be loose for the pleats to lay flat.
a good custom trouser maker will make the front just a "bit" wider.
then the extra cloth at top is worked in to the waist band as
fullness just as the cap of the sleeve is done.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
^ I agree. If the first pleat opens it means the leg is too narrow, or the trousers pull around the seat, or the waist isn't set properly. So that can't be the reason. Unless the reason is to have fairly slim trousers with pleats that don't open, but at that point why not go flat-front? Am I oversimplifying?
I can't say why but somehow, flat fronts are less comfortable for me, even if cut by the same tailor.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's something of a "neither fish nor fowl" situation. A single pleat lacks the clean lines of the flat front; nor does it have the elegance and function I associate with double pleats. It's a less-than-satisfying compromise between the two.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
For me, it's something of a "neither fish nor fowl" situation. A single pleat lacks the clean lines of the flat front; nor does it have the elegance and function I associate with double pleats. It's a less-than-satisfying compromise between the two.

One man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens. For me flat fronts have a crease that springs out of nowhere, and double pleats have a pleat that clutters the front without serving a clear purpose.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't normally go for a sngle pleat but that's just me I didn't think there was a problem with it other than ones own personal preference.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there is no strong consensus here, but among the cognoscenti there seems to be a consensus that it's either double pleats or no pleats. Are we missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads