Whats wrong with Ralph Lauren? No labels on your clothes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jwcarter, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jwcarter

jwcarter Well-Known Member

I've noticed a lot of the forum members here don't wear Ralph Lauren clothes where the polo player is clearly visible on the chest.

Why is that?

Is it distasteful to do so?

I am a 19 year old college student and I find that, I dress my best when I have a Ralph Lauren knit on, or a oxford by Ralph Lauren. Any type of clothing really, whether it be plain or not, if the logo is showing - people complement me and proceed to ask "wow, how much was that?"

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Why wear polos when you can wear so much more?

3. Orange

Orange Senior member

I think the general consensus on the forum is understated is better. Logos and brand names that are too obvious are frowned upon as badly dressed and maybe even ostentatious. Just look around and see the hate that showy brand name clothing get; ie. true religions.

4. overdog

overdog Senior member

I am a 19 year old college student and I find that, I dress my best when I have a Ralph Lauren knit on, or a oxford by Ralph Lauren. Any type of clothing really, whether it be plain or not, if the logo is showing - people complement me and proceed to ask "wow, how much was that?"

Ironically, Ralph Lauren's non-logo stuff is more expensive.

5. thoran

thoran Active Member

well I prefer wearing polo rather then anything else.

6. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Senior member

I've noticed a lot of the forum members here don't wear Ralph Lauren clothes where the polo player is clearly visible on the chest.

Why is that?

Is it distasteful to do so?

I've never seen the polo player on Ralph Lauren Purple or Black Label. My inclination is to say that you don't see people wearing clothes with the logo because Polo Ralph Lauren is one of the lowest quality Ralph Lauren labels. Purple label seems perfectly acceptable around here to me.

If people compliment you on clothes with the polo logo then my inclination is that they don't know much about clothing. Firstly, because most polo items just aren't that great (it may be the case that they look great on you, however. Also, I wouldn't call them bad in any sense of the word). The logo should put them off if anything. And secondly, they need a logo to be able to tell when someone has spent more than most people do on clothes, rather than simply looking at the fabric and fit.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

^Purple and Black Label don't have the horse because...they are not part of the Polo line of the Ralph Lauren brand.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^Purple and Black Label don't have the horse because...they are not part of the Polo line of the Ralph Lauren brand.

Thank you for getting to this first.

Yes, you'll only see the Polo pony on the Polo label items. On the higher Black Label and Purple Label (and on the licensed lines below Polo), the pony won't appear.

Personally I don't mind the pony, as long as it's relatively small, and I have a fair few casual RL Polo shirts with it on. The pony-on-steroids featured on some recent Polo items is just laughable though.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

people complement me and proceed to ask "wow, how much was that?"

Here's the answer to your question.

10. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

Well, the pony doesn't appear on the purple label stuff, but they still have their own emblem that appears on their polos. It's not understated at all.

And btw, OP sounds like a troll

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Well, the pony doesn't appear on the purple label stuff, but they still have their own emblem that appears on their polos. It's not understated at all.

And btw, OP sounds like a troll

Actually a lot of real people think that way.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

it doesnt bother me, infact most of my Polo shirts are RL polo, so i'm used to it.

I perfer my dress clothes without logos, maybe its because i've been reading on these boards too long, or maybe because i like the genuine compliments i receive.

I find with the Logo showing most will simply comment because they view the shirt as expensive, which BTW in the real world outside of styleforum an $80 retail shirt is expensive.

On here a $400 retail shirt is....par.

13. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

On here a $400 retail shirt is....par.

key word...... 'retail'

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

15. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

Well I've marketed a few polo ponies but never actually played. I do know, based on attending several matches nobody involved with Polo would be caught dead in the stuff.Logos remind me of those Kitsch paintings mass produced by a series of painters. You know, the quaint english cottage in kaleidoscope colours and displayed in houses along with singed Rod McKuen poetry books and Martha Stewart throw pillows.