• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with Morton's?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and Fleming's, S&W, etc.

I've had good meals at those places.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
... and Fleming's, S&W, etc.

I've had good meals at those places.

boring. horrendously overpriced for what you get.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morton's bar bites is one of the best deals around, but for formal dining you'd fare better with independent shope in most cities.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Morton's not too long ago. 3 people $300. Good Dark & Stormies though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The chain, upscale steak houses are safe bets. IMO, that's their big strength. If you're taking a client out in a town you don't know that well, pick a Sully's, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, Morton's and you have a known quantity. A family thing where some people are not frequent diners at better places is another good use for them. Some of the locations have okay jazz bars, patios, etc.

You can even get a side of RANCH if that is what you want.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I went to that SF Morton's in 1998.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I went to that SF Morton's in 1998.
I've been a few times. Always bad. I hate the cart they bring out to show you the meats and veggies. Also, the food sucks. It is by far the worst of the steakhouse chains. FWIW, I agree with Pio, sometimes you do end up at one of these things for a reason. Best hope it isn't Morton's though.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been to most of the big-name steakhouses in DC -- The Palm, Charlie Palmer, Smith & Wollensky, Sam & Harry's, Bobby Van's, Morton's. My experience at Morton's was worse than the others, which I attribute to the fact that I was in a very large group and the kitchen could not cook the steak to the doneness I wanted. Other than that, there's very little that distinguishes one steakhouse from another.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get lunch at a Morton's because it was in the basement of the building my office was in. It wasn't fantastic but I didn't care.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Smith & Wollensky is absolutely horrible. Never been to Morton's but can't see how it could be worse than Mortons. Ruth Chris is OK, but all these places seemingly use crappy meat
confused.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the Bad Experiences you guys have had. I might also be less picky, not being a chef. In any case, I agree with what Pio said about these places being Known Variables (aka constants). They work for me when I am extremely hungry, tired, and don't want to think. Happens when traveling or after pumping my muscles.

Also don't really care how done my steak is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads