• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with Morton's?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I like fancy restaurants and cooking (to the extent that I can) fancy food but I also enjoy a ginormous steak from time to time.

As to the value proposition, I am not so sure steakhouses are a terrible deal. A big prime aged steak will cost me $30 or more, and I still have to cook it. $40-$50 at a restaurant doesn't seem out of line when you factor in labor, facilities, etc.

This assumes that I am getting aged prime and the margins on side dishes are of course awful ...

Believe me, the prime piece of beef costing you $30 will almost always be FAR superior to what is available at nearly any steak house.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is a new thing. That is, for a long time there was no way to get aged prime at retail. Then it was only in catalogues (or maybe if you lived in Chicago or KC). Then a few boutiques on the UES and the like. If you wanted prime, you had to go to a steakhouse.

Now I have a lot of options. I can even get grass fed, which I had never seen retail until a few years ago.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is a new thing. That is, for a long time there was no way to get aged prime at retail. Then it was only in catalogues (or maybe if you lived in Chicago or KC). Then a few boutiques on the UES and the like. If you wanted prime, you had to go to a steakhouse. Now I have a lot of options. I can even get grass fed, which I had never seen retail until a few years ago.
I know. Bryan's in San Francisco always carried prime, and you would have people coming up from the Peninsula to buy their beef there. Interestingly, they don't really do grass fed, but it is still a hell of a butcher shop with people who really know their trade and take pride in it. They have just about everything I want, squab, duck, great veal, foie gras by the slice etc. There is a bit too much attitude, and you'll find better pork and lamb elsewhere. To add to the way sfield described cooking steak, which is pretty similar to what I do, though I picked up a tip or two from his post, I really dislike cooking, or eating, inch thick and smaller steaks, and don't like serving them to guests. It is too middle America for me. On the other hand, I do like to cook and eat a nice thick steak to slice for 2-4 people. Much better IMO.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
We all have different standards that cater to our needs. According to you or many other members here, the way most people dress is entirely inadequate. Hugo Boss gets made fun of mercilessly by most people here, but most people out in the world aspire to own things from that brand. So let's not get too hasty with the passive aggressive remarks regarding taste. Almost everyone here is equally guilty of it.

Happy-face smiley was intended to avoid this interpretation -- had I intended to mock or disparage, I would have used a different smiley. Misinterpretation of tone is always a danger with electronic written communication, so no offense taken here.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I get my butcher to cut them 2" thick. One steak easily feeds the family, typically with leftovers. For guests, two can feed a surprising number of people. (Depending on the guests.)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pre-cut ones at the local grocer are generally 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 which is reasonable. I would probably struggle to do a 2" one correctly the first time.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I know. Bryan's in San Francisco always carried prime, and you would have people coming up from the Peninsula to buy their beef there. Interestingly, they don't really do grass fed, but it is still a hell of a butcher shop with people who really know their trade and take pride in it. They have just about everything I want, squab, duck, great veal, foie gras by the slice etc. There is a bit too much attitude, and you'll find better pork and lamb elsewhere. To add to the way sfield described cooking steak, which is pretty similar to what I do, though I picked up a tip or two from his post, I really dislike cooking, or eating, inch thick and smaller steaks, and don't like serving them to guests. It is too middle America for me. On the other hand, I do like to cook and eat a nice thick steak to slice for 2-4 people. Much better IMO.
I'll buy one big 2 inch thick piece, prepare, then slice it nicely. Typically a 16oz ribeye or strip can very easily feed 3 people. When you prepare something very well and give someone a few slices of very good beef, they don't feel like they need to eat something portioned for a ******* dinosaur. PS.OMG WHAT CONDESCENSION AND HUBRIS YOU'RE ONE OF THE ELITES MCCAIN WAS TALKING ABOUT!!!! STEAKHOUSES THAT SERVE STEAKS IN THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE ARE WHAT JOE PLUMBER EATS I THOUGHT YOU FANCY IVORY TOWER TYPES VENERATED THE NOBLE SAVAGES

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
The pre-cut ones at the local grocer are generally 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 which is reasonable. I would probably struggle to do a 2" one correctly the first time.
Use a meat thermometer, it will make it much, much easier if you aren't familiar with touch.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find that the thicker steak gets, the more sense to rely on a thermometer. Hell, if you are only cooking one, it probably pays to use it no matter what, since you can basically guarantee the perfect doneness.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Maybe it is my Med blood but I have been able to judge the doneness of lamb by sight/touch since I was a teenager. Beef, not so much. Pork, getting better. Chicken, forget it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does Outback also use Saran Wrap in the dining room?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I think in the big cities you have a lot more options. Certainly in Phoenix I'd much rather go to Durant's or Drinkwater's than Morton's.

However, in Sacramento I have yet to find a great local steakhouse. The two that have been recommended, Chop's and The Broiler, have failed to impress in food or atmosphere. So when I want a good steak I head over to Morton's.

It also helps that the Morton's here has great bartenders and staff and they make me feel very much at home when I stop in for Bar Bites after work.

I've been to Chops several times and have had good meals each time. The Esquire Grill is also not bad. I wasn't thrilled with the Broiler either.

Have you ever been to Scotts? They are mostly a seafood place but their steaks are pretty good as well.

juuceman

Reaction score
The prime beef used in restaurants that even use prime is solidly below that which used to be graded as prime. The number of steakhouses nationwide claiming to use prime, and their need to be able to consistently source beef, has driven the degradation of the USDA prime designation. Cows just don't produce enough truly prime beef to satisfy the demand.

Beyond that, I prefer my beef to be dry aged. Wet aged beef makes me sad. It has none of the mineral taste of well cooked, marbled, dry aged beef.

While I enjoy a meal at Morton's, Smith and Wolensky, Palm, etc., it's usually when I'm out of town and these represent consistent dining/entertaining opportunities. In NYC, the original Palm offers a far superior cut of beef to that generally available. Wolfgang's makes up the rest of our steak out. That said, we usually eat the large lobsters at Palm.

At home, it's ridiculously easy to pan roast a large rib-eye or strip from Lobel's, Florence, or Staubitz. Any of these, or most other good butchers, will gladly cut you a three to four inch thick steak that should weigh out at three to four pounds. Rub it with kosher salt and refrigerate it, uncovered, for a day or two. Take it out of the fridge two or three hours before you're going to cook it so that it can come to room temperature. Pat it dry with paper towel and sear on the stovetop on a preheated HOT cast iron or other heavy oven-safe pan. Don't touch it for 8-10 minutes while it develops a sear. Flip it, let it sear for another 8 minutes, then put the entire thing into the preheated 375 degree oven. Maybe 20 minutes for medium rare. Let it sit for at least ten minutes after you remove it from the oven, slice it, and sere to four people.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used my gift certificate from xmas here last night. This was my 2nd time at Morton's, and I'll say I wasn't that impressed. We waited about 25 minutes before we were even given the menu presentation. On top of that, the waiter constantly pitched us additional items from the menu. I haven't heard a sales pitch like this since my days shopping at GNC when the cashiers would ask a half dozen times if I wanted to buy different assortments of products around the register - it was almost awkward having to say "no" so many times to him.

My drink was $12.75, albeit good, it wasn't that good. The steak was slightly over-cooked, and they wanted an additional $5 for a peppercorn sauce. Having eaten at Ruth Chris just a few days before, I can say my meal was much better there (as well as the service), and their filet is $10 cheaper than Morton's filet. Honestly, the whole menu presentation is a huge waste of time. I know what a goddamn steak looks like, just bring me a menu and I'll get my meal much faster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads