• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with Morton's?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I haven't been to S&W on 3rd Ave in ages but I remember it as being very good.

I can't believe these places use Choice. Don't they advertise Prime?

runner-guy

Reaction score
I've been to Morton's quite a few times and I liked the food. But, every time I've gone I ate for free on the dime of pharmaceutical companies, so free food and drinks always taste pretty good. But I've definitely had better steaks in the Detroit area.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I haven't been to S&W on 3rd Ave in ages but I remember it as being very good.

I can't believe these places use Choice. Don't they advertise Prime?

I don't know what S&W once was, but I had a (free) dinner there last year and it was pretty bad.

I think some of these places have a mix of prime and choice. They get away with it by showing some steaks as "USDA Prime" while others say nothing or some variation of the word prime, but with no USDA antecedent.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We don't have S&W down here but I've been to Morton's and RC's several times each. There is a definite lack of serious steak houses down here and only a few of them actually serve Prime beef. Neither is fantastic, by any stretch of the imagination, but if you get in on a deal its certainly can be a good meal for a good price. I've had one good experience and one bad experience at both. Neither one of them can make a desert to save their lives.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've eaten at a Sullivan's and a Flemmings. Almost always for business and almost always had a good steak. I will say Sullivan's seems a bit leaner and better aged, Flemmings more marbled.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1

Made with the proper over-proof rum (eg. Lamb's Navy 151) it is a one way ticket to hangover city ...
alcoholic.gif

I believe Gosling's of Bermuda has trademarked "Dark 'n' Stormy", so there's only one rum to use...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
I believe Gosling's of Bermuda has trademarked "Dark 'n' Stormy", so there's only one rum to use...

Yes and it has to have Barritt's ginger beer.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I've been a few times. Always bad. I hate the cart they bring out to show you the meats and veggies. Also, the food sucks. It is by far the worst of the steakhouse chains. FWIW, I agree with Pio, sometimes you do end up at one of these things for a reason. Best hope it isn't Morton's though.

They bring that lobster out and I feel bad. I mean is this the one I'm going to eat?? Has this little guy been on the tray all day?? Just give me a menu.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a S&W in Dallas for a while, but they couldn't make it. I never made it in while they were open. There are so many high-end steak houses in this city that it would be tough to compete, I would think.

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Yes and it has to have Barritt's ginger beer.

I was at the bar at the Mansion on Turtle Creek, one of the top hotels here, on Friday. We were discussing cocktails with the bartender. During the course of the conversation he mentioned that they brewed their own ginger beer and pulled out a bottle and gave us each a sample to try. I'd never had ginger beer before, so I had nothing to compare it to, but I thought it tasted pretty fantastic.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
How do you like to cook a steak nowadays?
sear then baste, much more painstaking. I have a smashed clove of garlic in the pan and some thyme, fennel seed with a fattier cut, good butter. But as you know, and can appreciate, I'm not a massive fan of steak. If I do make it and don't baste in pan, I'll buy a really good ribeye or strip, grill and slice into beautiful pieces and serve with chimichurri or some improvised gremolata. Might also make a nice pan sauce. The idea of serving big pieces of steak is just incredibly vulgar and unappealing to me. It's like you're treating your guest as a dog. Like you, I love Berkshire pork, venison, lamb, and veal and am far more likely to eat that or chicken than I am beef. I'm also far more likely to poach a filet in stock than I am to grilling it. Besides braising, this constitutes most of my beef diet (or rather, Bison, whose flavor I find peppery and interesting.) I also would much eat a skirt steak... I love stuff like carne asada as well.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I was at the bar at the Mansion on Turtle Creek, one of the top hotels here, on Friday. We were discussing cocktails with the bartender. During the course of the conversation he mentioned that they brewed their own ginger beer and pulled out a bottle and gave us each a sample to try. I'd never had ginger beer before, so I had nothing to compare it to, but I thought it tasted pretty fantastic.

GB is good. A spicier, more effervescent version of ginger ale.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought David Burke's Primehouse was ok as far as steak houses go. That's in Chicago. Unfortunately it's decorated like a Denny's. Will never go back. The James is like a douchier W.

Never been much impressed by steak houses. I've said it and I'll keep saying it, great restaurants will have the best steak you've ever had, not ******* steak houses. When I go down to BA, I'm going to make a huge point of eating a lot of beef and seeing if it's as good as people say. Funny there beef is a religion and even they have the good sense to serve it with a sauce.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Ruth Chris does. The butter they use is more expensive than the steaks.
They actually serve prime beef. Check out the logo. I've also heard some of their management speak about their operations and they claim to use prime. http://www.ruthschris.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads