• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats wrong with a black suit?

kobefan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been browsing these forums for about a week now and am getting used to the intricacies of joining a new forum (lingo, etc.)

So my simple question is what's wrong with a black suit?

Is it because its associated with funerals and the feds, and stuff like that?

thanks!!!

GBer

Reaction score
For what occasion? A funeral?

Certain cultures prefer different colors for different occasions.

PatSharpX

Reaction score
Black suit = funeral.
I don't think it fits in any other occasions.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks too severe; it's not as versatile as navy or charcoal; it usually looks terrible when you wear it in a sunny or brightly lit area; often doesn't make the color of one's skin look well; it's lacks personality; it makes you look like a hitman; you can't do as many interesting color combinations with it; you are forced to wear black shoes; etc.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
It looks too severe; it's not as versatile as navy or charcoal; it usually looks terrible when you wear it in a sunny or brightly lit area; often doesn't make the color of one's skin look well; it's lacks personality; it makes you look like a hitman; you can't do as many interesting color combinations with it; you are forced to wear black shoes; etc.

There is another POV. Black is a neutral adding to its versatility. Because of this, it functions as a foil, accentuating the other colors that are used in the ensemble, as well as working with virtually all colors increasing one's available palette. Depending on the other color choices, it can look good in brighter light. While black enhances some skin tones ("winters"), its effect on less optimum skin tones can be ameliorated by the choice of shirt and tie. Since they are next to the skin, their colors will affect perceived skin tone more than will the suit. Further, you're only limited to black shoes if you don't think outside the box. As far as the "it makes you look like . . . ," I've heard "hitman," "Blues Brother," "waiter," "funeral director," all kinds of things. It isn't the suit. It is how you wear it. Despite SF groupthink, wear a black suit like you own it and you'll look killer, not like one.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... And yet a well done tx can look stunning.

I am not averse to rocking my black suit from time to time. Usually after dark. You can go for the Clooney Oceans 11 look with a crisp white open neck shirt or break out some colourful solid shirts to pair it with. Nothing wrong with black shoes either.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Maybe you can make a black suit look 'killer' but charcoal and navy almost always look better than black. And you can wear each to more occassions and look better so why get a black suit?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with it.......if you are in the secret service....

Wideknot

Reaction score
I'll add this:

With a black suit, fit, design, and silhouette become extremely important. I'm not really sure how to express this. Other "colors" of suits are rarely truly monochromatic. Yes, there are some, but because black soaks up light rather than reflecting it back, it sort of disappears, unlike a classic solid navy or a cotton khaki or cream linen. In these colors, you can see the fabric, note its texture, percieve subtlties in the weave, variations in the dominant color, etc.. This isn't really true of black. Hence the "foil" remark in my other post. This means that you have to rely on something other than the fabric to provide visual interest: design, fit and silhouette. In a black suit, it is the negative space that communicates and you have to use that to the max. If you choose a sack suit style, it will look like a black sack. Cut it trimmer, edgier, and it will pop. The most positively remarked on suit I've ever owned was a black Loro Piana DB. Cut with peak lapels, four buttons, low gorge (shows a lot of shirt and tie), single pleat trouser with cuffs, it was a chick magnet, much to my wife's entertainment.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
Maybe you can make a black suit look 'killer' but charcoal and navy almost always look better than black. And you can wear each to more occassions and look better so why get a black suit?

Your assumption that black cannot be worn to as many occasions as charcoal or navy is only an assumption. If you look good in a black suit, wear it anywhere you want to look good.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Nothing is wrong with it.......if you are in the secret service....

Or if you are in finance, banking, law, design, manufacturing, consulting, education, or even a blues musician . . .

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
Your assumption that black cannot be worn to as many occasions as charcoal or navy is only an assumption. If you look good in a black suit, wear it anywhere you want to look good.

You can also wear a purple suit anywhere, doesn't make it right. And I still say charcoal or navy always look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads