1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with a black suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kobefan, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

For me, charcoal and navy are business staples. Fine in the workplace but a bit square after hours.

Black suits seem bit too 'severe' for the office unless you're in a creative field, but would be my default choice for an after hours function, especially in winter and/or after dark.

2. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

In real life, most people can't even tell the difference b/w a black suit and a dark navy suit.
    They are functionally equivalent, esp. in "mid/low light", like at a lounge or indoor event at night.

Find yourself a black suit of B&S, and get a great deal on it.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

Black looks best at night. I would wear a black suit at night without thinking twice about it.

4. nexus

nexus Well-Known Member

I work in law and I can't remember the time I saw anyone wear an all-black suit. A fair bit of black pinstripe, though. One of my favourite staple suits is black with subtle burgundy and beige pinstripes.

That said, I HAVE seen people who happen to look fantastic in all black. I think it really requires the right complexion and body type for it to be successful - or maybe a personality so charismatic that you don't even notice the funereal image.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

What complexion, in your opinion?

6. hazelmaeby

hazelmaeby Member

To the average North American, it often looks like a uniform for some service jobs: restaurant staff, security guard, etc. Similar with the Hasids here in Miami. It looks like a uniform.

Though I've seen plenty of secret service agents and none I can recall in black. The whole point is not to look uniform, to blend in. They wear plenty of unassuming tones, some dark, some light. I'm sure some wear black, but not all.

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Black suit = funeral. I don't think it fits in any other occasions.
    I am thinking about using a black jacket (in lieu of a black Dickies shirt) as a covering for my referee stripes when my duties require it, but that would put it into sports wear, and not menswear. We also choose black as we ref in low light and wish to not to stick out.

8. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Though I've seen plenty of secret service agents and none I can recall in black. The whole point is not to look uniform, to blend in. They wear plenty of unassuming tones, some dark, some light. I'm sure some wear black, but not all.

Some FBI agents I've talked to were in black suits.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i would wear a black suit. only if it is chalkstripe and VERY FITTED though.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^I had one like this. It was a great suit that drew many compliments.

11. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

What about a black blazer? I've heard differing views on this (navy only and black is "OK"). I have a black Chester Barrie DB blazer that I like very much, and in truth it's not that much different than my midnight blue BB blazer under most lighting conditions.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

What complexion, in your opinion?

Darker complexions have looked best in blacks, imo. White people just contrast too much with everything.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Apart from using the search function and not asking oft answered questions - nothing. Some do some don't - the 'don't' can be very vocal but are irrelevant.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

My response to this thread is to pop off my monocle and exclaim, "Alack! Unhand me, young ruffian!"

- B

15. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

Black is a relatively severe color, and has two primary associations:

1) formality
    2) fashion (in the dumbed-down Hollywood sense of the term)

It's not always a good choice for an office environment, but black is a great color.

16. rlx

rlx Senior member

Historically, in an age when rules mattered in society, black was reserved for formal evening wear. Whether you choose to adhere to formal rules in this day depends on how you feel about tradition. While I see fewer and fewer men wearing suits, I see many who on the occasion when they do so wearing black suits. If that is what pleases them, that's fine. But in a professional world, they will be judged by those few who abide by traditioinal rules. It may or may not impact them, but it's a risk of ignoring rules.