• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong in this suit? / How to make this better?

sirprize194

Reaction score
A skinny guy in suit. What's off in this?
IMG-20210413-WA0002__01.jpg
IMG-20210413-WA0003__01.jpg
IMG-20210413-WA0004__01.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What stands out most to me is the disconnect between the upper and lower half. The very skinny trousers make your silhouette very unbalanced and also drape poorly (see how they cling to your legs rather than hang cleanly?).
Like the trousers, the jacket sleeves are a little slim (not as extreme as the trousers though). The effect is to make your legs and arms look disproportionately skinny relative to your torso.

Other issues: the buttoning point in the jacket looks low. The lapels are bowing, indicating some tightness in the chest.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
You're not wearing shoes. I'm not as zealous as some people on that matter, but I think shoes are recommended with most suits.

Seriously though, I don't know if it's the angle of the shot that makes the buttoning point seem so low? I wear a lot of single-button jackets, and I find they need a lower buttoning point (I find the jackets become far more comfortable if I button them on my natural waist), but this looks really low. But like I said, might be the angle causing that effect.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the angle of the shot. That might be creating an optical illusion. The jacket seems to be too long but it’s not. I think the really low button stance is making it appear as so. It centers the eye too far down. Look at how long those lapels are!

maybe it’s because it’s a single button closure, but even then, I think it needs to sit a bit higher.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with @breakaway01 - sleeves and pant legs are too tight. A suit just shouldn't cling. And, the button is low by maybe as much as an inch or two.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing the lapels bow out the way they do makes me think the suit is too slim. The trousers are definitely too slim.

Is that a single button jacket? In any case, the button stance is definitely too low.

schraiber

Reaction score
Most obvious thing to me is button stance is very very low

adrianvo

Reaction score
Things that have yet to be mentioned:

• The chest pocket looks really weird. Thin and straight. The bulging of the chest area also makes it look completely misplaced.
  • The button also looks mega cheap.
  • Also, don't match your tie and pocket square. They should compliment or contrast, not look like they came from the same box.
  • Tighten your tie knot, and perhaps use a different one.
  • The shoulders are too wide for you
  • Sleeves are too long. The fabric shouldn't wrinkle when your arms are hanging.

To sum up, it looks as if the suit couldn't decide if it wanted to be a 1980s suit or a 2010s suit.

sirprize194

Reaction score
Did some alterations as per your suggestions. Now tell how to improve more? (P.S. Yet to get a proper shoes. So just forget about that)

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_175234__01.jpg
    IMG_20210414_175234__01.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20210414-WA0026__01.jpg
    IMG-20210414-WA0026__01.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20210414-WA0027__01.jpg
    IMG-20210414-WA0027__01.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 110

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The button is better. But pants and sleeves are still too tight - look at how both bunch up - they shouldn't when arms & legs are strati. Your pants should simply drape and then break at the shoes and not bunch up. Sleeves shouldn't bunch up at all hanging strait. I can't put my finger on why the jacket looks off beyond the sleeves but ther'es somtehing about how it sits on you when buttoned. I'm sure someone with more background can pinpoint what that is.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree that sleeves and trousers still are too slim to hang cleanly.

Looks like you were buttoning the lowest button of the jacket, which was definitely not a good idea. This buttoning point looks better.

However the jacket still looks tight in the chest (bowing lapels).

The jacket buttons look closer together than I'm used to. Usually the lowest button is roughly at the level of the hip pockets. The hip pockets themselves may also be a little higher than I'm used to seeing. Is that what you're seeing @johng70 ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sleeves and trousers are too tight.

Lapels aren't cut well

Buttons are too close together

Looks like the coat's balance is off. Look at the angle of the hip pockets.

Recommend getting a new tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads