• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's With the Windsor Knots?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of these in Manhattan these days, and have noticed several on the busines channels today. Ugh. Bad trend. Please kill.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not fundamentally opposed to the Windsor Knot. I have three shirts with English spread collars and with the right tie I think it works well.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popular on footballers here in the UK and entered into the mainstream a few years ago, so maybe it's come from there. Can look OK-ish on a cutaway but it depends on the size of the knot. Those massive knots are bloody god awful. I've also seen it on Italians, again footballers.

I only use the FIH meself

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only person I ever thought looked good in a Windsor knot was Reagan. It helped that he was a million years old.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Popular on footballers here in the UK and entered into the mainstream a few years ago, so maybe it's come from there. Can look OK-ish on a cutaway but it depends on the size of the knot. Those massive knots are bloody god awful. I've also seen it on Italians, again footballers.

I only use the FIH meself

Footballers and estate agents...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The only person I ever thought looked good in a Windsor knot was Reagan. It helped that he was a million years old.
I think it's a very English look personally, even though I don't use it myself. I think with the right collar, tie suit etc it can look good.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

And that it wasn't the defining element of his look, as it is with so many people wearing it today.

--Andre

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
I think it can too easily look pretentious, especially on young men. Having said that, I'm not a fan of 'powerdressing'.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There isn't a chance I'll wear one. For the widest of spread collars ... perhaps a half-Windsor.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear windsor knot ,yet isn't it a correct knot, especially when wearing spread collar shirts? Didn't you write about it in your book? Not that I'm gonna order one after the recensions..

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear a half windsor. I only use a FIH when I have a somewhat shorter tie, or if the collar points are narrow.

D Yizz

Reaction score
I prefer a windsor over a ridiculously tiny 4IH. In fact, I used windsors all the time and was commended by many for the "cleanliness" and "elegance" of the look by people who only knew to tie a tiny 4IH. BTW, one of the reasons I used the windsor knot was because with a 4IH my tie was always too long. Since discovering SF, I learned I could tie a nice double 4IH to achieve proper lenght and decent knot size. Therefore I've switched to it almost exclusively. I still like the look of windsors with certain ties/collars. However, I agree that those huge Bobby Flay windsors are almost if not as hideous as tiny 4IH's.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.