• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's With Letterman?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last two nights I have noticed that the narrow end of his tie is hanging at least four inches below the wide end with the wide end's tip hovering at least four inches above the belt line. After being suited up on TV for decades you would think he'd know better...you think he is doing it to be cheeky?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given he wears his DBs open against the advice of his tailor and has worn loafers and trainers with his suits, I think so.

Ed355

Reaction score
He also wears white (or light grey) socks with black dress shoes. I hate the way he fiddles with the inside button of his db jacket when he's on the show.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He had footage when he use to be a weather man, and he would smoke wile on air. I think that bit of carelessness adds to his charm.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How he dresses reminds me of a child on his first communion. You know that one that hates to get dressed up. There are still these people even adults and young adults who beleive the tie is a foul choker.They would rather wear a ratty t-shirt and jeans.

di Robilant

Reaction score
Are we to understand that David Letterman is regarded (by whom ?) as something of a style icon ? The mere fact that we are discussing his habiliment on this site should seem to suggest that he is indeed so regarded - by some, anyway .

Here's something else which I fail to grasp : 'loafers' - if, by the term 'loafer', is intended a moccasin-style slip-on - have been happily mated here in Europe with lounge suits for as long as I'm able to remember ; why do North American men have such a problem with this concept ? I understand that : (1) they began life as sportive footwear and ; (2) some styles - for example, Bass Weejuns - are not, ahem, suitable or appropriate accompaniments to a lounge suit (being somewhat 'rugged', if not downright clumsy), but I see nothing wrong in pairing 'sleeker' styles (Berluti's 'Warhol' springs to mind) with suits . Let it not be forgotten that everything is in a constant state of flux : Edward VIII caused a veritable scandal by wearing brown reverse-calf oxfords with grey and navy-blue flannel numbers ; his father WROTE him a letter complaining that he had never seen anything so "unsmart" [sic.] as a short (i.e. tail-less) dinner jacket !

Now, suits and sneakers ? If we're talking hi-tech Nikes, or something similar, then the answer must be a resounding negative . If, on the other hand, we're looking at a pair of (say) Etro or Pantofola d'Oro HYBRIDS, I've seen many stylish, confident, Japanese and Italian men carry this off with some aplomb . I don't think that I would mate them with a Savile Row number, but a summer-weight, unlined Neapolitan suit...maybe .

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by di Robilant
Are we to understand that David Letterman is regarded (by whom ?) as something of a style icon ? The mere fact that we are discussing his habiliment on this site should seem to suggest that he is indeed so regarded - by some, anyway .

Here's something else which I fail to grasp : 'loafers' - if, by the term 'loafer', is intended a moccasin-style slip-on - have been happily mated here in Europe with lounge suits for as long as I'm able to remember ; why do North American men have such a problem with this concept ? I understand that : (1) they began life as sportive footwear and ; (2) some styles - for example, Bass Weejuns - are not, ahem, suitable or appropriate accompaniments to a lounge suit (being somewhat 'rugged', if not downright clumsy), but I see nothing wrong in pairing 'sleeker' styles (Berluti's 'Warhol' springs to mind) with suits . Let it not be forgotten that everything is in a constant state of flux : Edward VIII caused a veritable scandal by wearing brown reverse-calf oxfords with grey and navy-blue flannel numbers ; his father WROTE him a letter complaining that he had never seen anything so "unsmart" [sic.] as a short (i.e. tail-less) dinner jacket !

Now, suits and sneakers ? If we're talking hi-tech Nikes, or something similar, then the answer must be a resounding negative . If, on the other hand, we're looking at a pair of (say) Etro or Pantofola d'Oro HYBRIDS, I've seen many stylish, confident, Japanese and Italian men carry this off with some aplomb . I don't think that I would mate them with a Savile Row number, but a summer-weight, unlined Neapolitan suit...maybe .

I, for one, agree with this man. I don't see any reason why someone can't wear a nice sleek loafer with a suit. I might draw the line well before it reaches the oxford/sneaker hybrids, but I would definitely wear some types of loafers with suits (the other types of loafers, that I wouldn't wear with suits, I wouldn't wear at all). That's what style is all about gentlemen. Having "style" isn't about picking up the latest book or magazine out there and copying word-for-word what they are telling you to do - or flipping on the television and copying what the Prince of Wales or the Duke of whatever is doing - that's simply imitation. Style is the ability to create your own image based on what works for you. If part of your image is that you wear loafers with suits - so be it - as long as you know what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Excellent post di R.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe he read Manton's remarks on him in The Suit and decided to yuk it up a bit.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the "Satorialist" guy, the one who takes the amazing pictures, had noted that he noted some sales man from St. Andrews tie it like that as an Italian thing.

I don't know if the 2 are related , but it is done.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I think the "Satorialist" guy, the one who takes the amazing pictures, had noted that he noted some sales man from St. Andrews tie it like that as an Italian thing.

I don't know if the 2 are related , but it is done.

I remember reading this as well. It seems as if a lot of Italian men wear their ties like this.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I don't see any reason why someone can't wear a nice sleek loafer with a suit.

copying what the Prince of Wales or the Duke of whatever is doing - that's
simply imitation.

duke01002wd.jpg

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
duke01002wd.jpg

Well there you go. If it's good enough for the Duke, it's good enough for me. He does it, not because he follows the rules, but because he has a style of his own and doesn't give a hoot about what anyone else thinks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads